Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dewmguy

id tech 7 confirmed?

That'd be too soon!

I would be surprised if it WASN'T using id tech 6...

Edited by HavoX

6 hours ago, HavoX said:

That'd be too soon!

I would be surprised if it WASN'T using id tech 6...

I think Id Tech 7 not being all that far off is plausible. I mean, DOOM Eternal could be coming out 2 years from now for all we know, but most of the work on Id Tech 6 started after John Carmack left in late 2013.

6 hours ago, HavoX said:

That'd be too soon!

Suuure. Just like it was too soon for the new DOOM to be announced.

During a Siggraph panel a few years ago id Software's Jon Olic discussed ray tracing in video games. If I remember correctly this was originally planned for idtech6 or it's successor. In addition Nvidia recently had a presentation on ray tracing in real time rendering.

Nevertheless I'm afraid we won't see much of it in the next Doom game. It seems to me Bethesda wants id Software to continue Doom 2016s success formula. A hardware hungry engine wouldn't really help there.

I do have to wonder though what kind of advancements Id Tech 7 will have over its predecessor to justify numerical leap. In this video, Id's CTO Robert Duffy says that the new engine technology will be "far more parallel" compared to Id Tech 6 and will use up as much CPU grunt as possible (at least when it comes to Ryzen since that's what the video is promoting). However, that info is pretty vague as to what the engine entails.

Every time a new Id Tech iteration pops up, there's some rather noticeable upgrades and differences compared to the preceding engine. Will Id Tech 7 have more emphasis on Vulkan? Will it have further optimizations? Ray tracing? Proper, extensive and officially supported modding capabilities? I guess we'll find out in about a month.

EDIT:

Hell, Wolf II had some pretty noticeable changes and upgrades over DOOM such as a full-body first-person view, advanced water effects and shaders, Havok physics, and IIRC the lack of megatextures, yet that's still considered to be an Id Tech 6 game.

On 7/8/2018 at 1:14 AM, chemo said:

Every time a new Id Tech iteration pops up, there's some rather noticeable upgrades and differences compared to the preceding engine.

Except idtech6 was a fairly unimpressive upgrade when compared to the cutting-edge tech that was introduced in previous versions. idtech6 is very similar to any number of other modern game engines in terms of output. There's just nothing revolutionary in it.

In the past, a new idtech engine meant Carmack's latest research project, which often pushed current hardware to its limits. But I have a feeling that id is now exploiting that older association to generate excitement about their next game when all they're really doing is making some modest improvements that are just par for the course in terms of game development.

We'll see when the game comes out, perhaps if we're lucky they're working on the game handleing more enemies, and or better ways to handle more open level design (because the currant spawn system is far more suited for linear game play). Tiago Seems to be very talented person from my end looking at his work from Crytech to doom 16. I'm not saying  there's no way you're right, but I think we're going heavy improvements in idtech7. I easily could be wrong, guess we'll have to wait and see.

The upgrade to idtech7 could explain why Arch-Viles are coming back, they can probably keep all the bodies on the ground now with the upgrade.