Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ragher

Doom: RECKONING

Yeah now that I see the screenshots, I must say it looks rather nice. I'll put this in my gzdooom/backlog/ folder.

Thanks for sharing just finished the map one thing i noticed when u fight the boss at the end i fell off and into the lava and it does no damage and couldnt find a way to get back up without noclip/loading.

Hey Ragher,

I finished a play through earlier of your map and wanted to give some feedback.

Upon booting the map my initial thoughts were 'damn, that music is f*$%"$£ sick!" The music track fits the level well and got me pumped to finish it, so great job on the music! The visuals and style of the map were cool and reminded me a little bit of Romero's E1M8b. There's plenty of room to manoeuvre in most cases and the map had a good flow to it. There were a couple of times where I couldn't remember how to get to certain areas, as with the yellow door area outside, it takes a bit of a trek from the hub room to get back there, but this is only a minor thing.

At times, the ammo appeared to be quite sparse in certain areas. Overall there is plenty of ammo to complete the level, but in particular the 1,2,3,4 switch area could use a bit more, as you have to battle through the initial corridor, the switch area, and the 4 numbered rooms to deal with. The health was plentiful and it a few cases a little bit too much so. For example, there is a room along the passageway towards the 1,2,3,4 area where there is a soul sphere and berserk in the same room. I would recommend getting rid of one of these, perhaps the soul sphere, as you get another two later on anyway. The weapons are nicely spread out, although I did initially miss the super shotgun as its hidden a little bit in the dark area. This isn't a problem really, but thought I'd mention it as I was 'stuck' on the regular shotgun for the first half of the level, which isn't too fun when dealing with barons and other higher hit point monsters.

The main thing to bare in mind when creating these kind of free flowing levels (which is done well) is that the player can, in almost all circumstances, simply run back into previous areas to avoid any possible damage. As a result this reduces the threat of some of the encounters quite a bit. It does, of course, depend on the overall style you are going for. There are many ways you can manipulate the level, to force the player to deal with a particular situation before they move onto the next part, such as creating 'lock in' traps and the like, but again it simply depends on the style you want. It doesn't detract from the fun. In regards to monsters, there is another thing to bare in mind that I noticed while playing.

The outside yellow key area has quite a few monsters spawn in. However, due to the size of this area the monsters are not particularly threatening. Its very easy to run circles around our poor demons who are only trying there best, and it also gives players plenty of time to dodge projectiles without much threat of actually being hit. Yes, you do get hit by a stray projectile here and there, but not too much. There's nothing wrong with this area, but its good to keep in mind where the 'pressure' of each situation is coming from so you can really get the players heart rate going.

I was half expecting there to be a really big fight at the end with multiple Cybers and other monsters, so I was a bit disappointed by the final fight (the final area looks really cool as well!) but overall the map was very enjoyable. For your first wad showcase this is really solid and I very much look forward to your future maps.

PS:

Spoiler

When the red bars come down there are missing textures on the left and right of the plinth.Screenshot_Doom_20190425_130652.png

Hey guys!

First of all, thank you all so much for your feedback, unfortunately I couldn't see them until recently, for I have been busy with... life.

I will be releasing an updated version of Reckoning with all the little bugs fixed. Don't know when, possibly next week. Nothing major will be changed, though.

I am also happy to announce that the sequel to Reckoning is in the works! For now it's just titled Reckoning II but I might change the name in the future. The release might be somewhere around August, I hope.

The music just like in the last one will be made by me, this time with live guitars (played also by me)! The song will be a part of an instrumental metal album I'm making right now. You can check out my future work here (and also the Reckoning OST):

Also, you can have this very, very early screenshot of Reckoning II:

Thank you all again for your support and I'll see you in hell! :)

RECKONING_2.png

Thanks for the reminder. Totally forgot this map in the last few weeks since I downloaded it, because I started mapping again.

Will give the new version a spin now and let you know if I find something strange. :)

Finished on UV with 100/96/100 in 43 minutes. Died four times due to pure stupidity. :) I´m no Doom-god so I think that's ok.

I like the overall design of the map, some nice traps and a steady growing difficulty curve. What I could live without is the way you have to run through empty corridors/areas when backtracking for health/ammo or simply have to re-run an area because of the level design. Probably you can add some teleporting monsters or open some monster cages here. 

Health-wise - as other have already mentioned - you give the player a lot in the beginning areas and so force him to backtrack bevcause after openin the  blu area it´s getting sparse. Concerning ammo I had no problems and left the map well equipped for a coming adventure, perhaps to well equipped for a single map. :)

All in all I had a lot of fun with discovering all the secrets (nice one with the BFG - that's my kind of dooming).

Now for some bugs I found:

recknoning01-unpegged.jpg.22b107907367d131a3882a14bdaa935c.jpg

Here we have an pegging problem at this door. :)

recknoning03-stuck.jpg.6bdce941f9b480cf1cc7a25d9fccdf5e.jpg

Here I got stuck. What I did was:

Open the door from the outside, ingnoring the rocket-launcher first (probably a trap - I'm not stupid :) ), riding the elevator and using the switch. Now I jumped from the galery, grabbed the launcher and left the room to let the monsters fight it out. While this was happening I cleared the outside area of some spectres, went back in and cleaned the room I lowered the health pillars and tried to leave, but the door woiuldn´t open anymore from the inside.

recknoning03-stairway.jpg.cde0d3a59ed67f039cc51c37c2e02264.jpg

Just a little design flaw. Just texture this stairway area a little bit different or use some different lighting values to give it a more 3-dimensional feel. The way it is now it blurs into the background.

That's all for today - as mentioned you gave me 40+ minutes of fun. :)

Thanks theDia for providing feedback, I really appreciate it! :)

I updated the map, the download link is the same.

I apologize for these constant updates.

8 hours ago, Ragher said:

Thanks theDia for providing feedback, I really appreciate it! :)

If we mappers don't playtest who will. :)

I updated the map, the download link is the same.

I apologize for these constant updates.

Constant updates show that you take criticism seriously. Right now I´m also working on my mapset and do weekly updates for the testers, but that doesn´t mean that what will be released will be a final version promptly. :) Some details only will be discovered when more people play the levelsand do the strange stuff even playtesters don't think about. :)

F.e. One of the players for the earliest version discovered one line-def I forgot to make impassable and so skipped an important part of the level only to get stuck afterwards because of this. Things like this are of course coincidences, but you can't let them in the release. 

Same thing with the room in Reckoning I got stuck in. :)

Just finished playing the level. Took me a little under 40 minutes and a few deaths at the large arena about 3/4 of the way through. I really really enjoyed the experience. Level design was fantastic, natural difficulty curve, and secrets were well hidden and rewarding (I wouldn't have found that BFG if it wasn't for the area map pickup. Nice touch.). I probably spent a good five minutes before entering the Cyber Demon room because I thought it was the exit and it said I had two monsters left to kill. Ha! Also, the music was very well done and proper Doom fare. As soon as it started I was bobbing my head and it didn't get old for a second in the almost hour I played. 

Very well done map! Can't wait for Reckoning II. Looking forward to it. 

pretty good map, i liked it. only two problems i have is that the arenas could be a bit smaller to make for a more challenging experience, except for the one outdoors (similar to the fight in Suburbs), and that the architecture was decent but couldve been better. seeing how this is your first published map (on this site/account at least) its a great start.