Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scorpius

Joining community projects

Just a quick thing I wanted to know about since I'm relatively new to the DOOM community. If I wanted to join a community project that interested me, how would I do that? I'm not saying I want to join one now, but maybe in the near future. Also, any other comments and advice on how to follow project rules, what to expect, communication, etc. would be appreciated. Maybe you can share your experiences with projects and other good stuff. Thanks!

Having participated in at least 5 projects, I'd say nothing besides keeping an eye on the project's thread and see if any of the project's rules change, you just request a map slot and work on your map, and try to deliver it before the deadline (If there is one). you want to keep an eye on the thread after you post your map, others may be willing to test your map and give you feedback on how to improve it, report bugs for you to fix before release.

2 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Having participated in at least 5 projects, I'd say nothing besides keeping an eye on the project's thread and see if any of the project's rules change, you just request a map slot and work on your map, and try to deliver it before the deadline (If there is one). you want to keep an eye on the thread after you post your map, others may be willing to test your map and give you feedback on how to improve it, report bugs for you to fix before release.

Thanks for this info. May I ask where would I request a map slot. Would I have to just comment on the dev thread or email the project lead?

Just now, Scorpius said:

Thanks for this info. May I ask where would I request a map slot. Would I have to just comment on the dev thread or email the project lead?

Just leave a comment on the thread.

8 minutes ago, Scorpius said:

If I wanted to join a community project that interested me, how would I do that?

It seems typical for projects these days to have their own dedicated discord channels. If the project you want to join has one, join that discord and let people know what you want to contribute (maps, playtesting, music, textures, for example). If there's no discord link, just post in the thread that you're interested in participating.

Be sure to read the op before joining, so you have a better understanding of what is going to be expected. Mapping-format, deadlines, and other criteria usually belong in the op of such projects, and if you can't find any of those, it's probably wise to not join, because poor management tends to ruin CPs more often than not.

13 minutes ago, Scorpius said:

advice on how to follow project rules

Simple, follow the rules, and if anything isn't clear, ask the project lead.

what to expect

See above, usually the op states what to expect.

communication

Usually discord, forum threads aren't very effective :P

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Usually discord, forum threads aren't very effective :P

I am going to assume you would need a mic for Discord, or can you use text as well? If you can use text, that would be great then. I'm not really familiar with Discord, have used Skype for the longest.

9 minutes ago, Scorpius said:

I am going to assume you would need a mic for Discord, or can you use text as well? If you can use text, that would be great then. I'm not really familiar with Discord, have used Skype for the longest.

You can use text with Discord. Hell, it's rare I actually use voice and I use Discord daily.

9 minutes ago, Scorpius said:

No, regular text chatting is fine, some discord servers usually have a mic channel but it depends on the server, you should be fine without one

Discord is primarily chat based. There are functions for using a mic, but they're only infrequently used. I can also +1 to recommending it for easy communication with fellow CP contributors.

Generally speaking, you sign up for a CP by reading the thread and posting "I'd like to sign up for this". It's as simple as that. Every CP will have different rules, so make sure you read them and are happy with them before joining.

CPs are by design meant to encourage random people to join up, so if you feel you can contribute then go for it.

If you're relatively new to the mapping, the semi-frequent Joy of Mapping CP is always a great place to start.

8 hours ago, Scorpius said:

Just a quick thing I wanted to know about since I'm relatively new to the DOOM community. If I wanted to join a community project that interested me, how would I do that?

A community project, by definition, is a project that has been made open to all members of the community and encourages anyone who wants to participate to do so. If a project is meant to be for a select group, then it won't be posted as an open CP on Doomworld. Therefore, if the project leads posts a thread for a new CP that sparks your interest, generally, all you need to do to join it is to respond on the DW thread that you are interested in joining. The project lead may also have a Discord channel that you need to go to as well, but not every project has a discord channel associated with it.

Also, any other comments and advice on how to follow project rules,

Before joining, though, read the rules and restrictions for the project. Make sure you understand them. If there is something that isn't clear to you, and hasn't already been asked and answered by someone else, ask the project lead for clarification. Once you receive that clarification, don't try to circumvent the rules. Don't ignore the rules. Unless there is a very good reason for it, don't try to convince the project lead to change the rules.

A project that has been established with a clear set of rules usually means the project lead has a particular vision; if the project lead is constantly changing the rules to suit the whims of the participants (again, without good reason), that may be a bad sign.

what to expect, communication, etc. would be appreciated.

Honestly, what to expect will vary based on the project lead. Some are very hands on, while others are not. Usually, if the project has a Discord channel, there will be more interaction simply because it is easier to have an efficient back-and-forth on Discord's text chat versus Doomworld's forums threads. However, overall, you should expect feedback from the project lead when you ask a question or submit a map. Similarly, if the project lead contacts you, you should respond.

Communication with the project lead can be done via posting within the thread, chatting on Discord (if an option), or via DM (either here on Doomworld or on Discord). Reserve DMs for communication that is essentially private in nature or that would not be informative to others on the thread/channel. If you determine that you can't continue with the project, for whatever reason, be prompt about notifying the project lead. If you are dropping out, do so within the thread/channel so that others will be aware of it.

It is also a reasonable expectation for a well-run CP to have a project lead that keeps a relatively tight handle on the project and compiles the final project in a reasonable time frame once the deadline has been reached and maps have been submitted. There may be extenuating circumstances, of course, but it is not unreasonable for you to expect a completed project to have a finished product within some window of time after the deadline.

The only other piece of advice that I can offer is to try to find projects that match your skill level and knowledge base. With the exception of CP's that have teaching as one of the intents of the project, try not to sign up for projects that are over your head. For example, if you know nothing about UDMF or Heretic, you probably shouldn't sign up for UDMF or Heretic-based projects, assuming that you'll just be able to learn what you need to know on the fly. Similarly, if the deadline for a project is in three weeks, but you will be unable to map for the next 2.5 weeks, you probably don't want to sign up for the project.

Thank you everyone for the insight and advice! It means a lot to me that people are very welcoming and offering help, I guess that's why it's called a community. :)

One more thing before I leave this thread, it may be unrelated but I'm gonna ask anyway. If I was to use music from another WAD, such as Plutonia 2, I am already going to assume you need to ask permission from the musician to use a song. Is this true or not?