Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eharper256

Walpurgis- 0.99 (For Doom, Heretic, Hexen) [NEW RELEASE!!!]

3 hours ago, june gloom said:

It's a great mod! I love that you expanded on the original Hexen cast -- I was always surprised there wasn't a rogue class for that game.

Thanks.

Admittedly, they did kind of fix that in Hexen II; though the Assassin was arguably the weakest class there by quite a margin.

Illitheya's kind of a Ranger/Druid multiclass I suppose (i.e. Probably a Feral Hunter if we're allowed Pathfinder 1e classes).

Hexen II is a great game but it's not balanced the best.

(I admit I'm also a little biased because female player characters are kind of rare in these kinds of games.)

7 hours ago, eharper256 said:

though the Assassin was arguably the weakest class there by quite a margin.

I remember seeing an interesting argument at one point that the Assassin was designed for co-op play and shines best there.  The core premise being along the lines of "player of another class draws the aggro, then assassin goes in and uses backstab on the monsters while they're distracted".

Dunno how it pans out in practice as I never got my opportunity to try it out, but it made sense in writing.

38 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

I remember seeing an interesting argument at one point that the Assassin was designed for co-op play and shines best there.  The core premise being along the lines of "player of another class draws the aggro, then assassin goes in and uses backstab on the monsters while they're distracted".

Dunno how it pans out in practice as I never got my opportunity to try it out, but it made sense in writing.

I mean, yes, that's standard D&D Rogue tactics, let the Fighter/Paladin/Barb pull the aggro, and then flank for your Sneak Attack / Advantage, and even would have been the case during Hexen 2's creation (during 2nd Edition D&D), so it makes sense, though translates dubiously across to an FPS.

1 hour ago, june gloom said:

(I admit I'm also a little biased because female player characters are kind of rare in these kinds of games.)

Funnily enough, I did consider making a gender select for all the classes at one point. With a female Myrmidon Juno, a Female Crusader Athenasia, a Female Magister Chione, and a Male Druid Arvastan, but the catastrophic amount of extra hands spritework dissuaded me of that. -_-;

These names selected to keep in with the Greek/Roman theme Hexen generally has. e.g. Daedalon is the brother of Cyx in greek myth // Baratus is probably off Baratu or Aratus; southern roman // Parias is a Trojan prince, typically translated as Paris these days.

I can't blame you for not wanting to do the extra work, though selectable gender is certainly a fun idea.

On 4/5/2020 at 3:29 AM, eharper256 said:

In any case; I'm not debating it looks like spray-paint right now; I'm just saying it might be nice to turn a blind eye to visuals for now; as I'd love some gameplay feedback occasionally from Doomworld.

If you need help with the Crusader's Shield working better as a shield in doom engine. I have code developed I use in my mods, and also that got used in Legend of Doom that is functional for Doom, Heretic and Hexen. It wouldn't be hard for me to make an example build to send to ya to play around with. This was one of those puzzles that I took interest in making for myself and was largely successful at for implementing in all 3 games in my own mods. I looked at the Crusader shield code, as it definitely interests me in how other creators tackle these problems, and I sincerely don't mind sharing code that is already used in other awesome, popular productions. 

2 hours ago, kalensar said:

If you need help with the Crusader's Shield working better as a shield in doom engine. I have code developed I use in my mods, and also that got used in Legend of Doom that is functional for Doom, Heretic and Hexen. It wouldn't be hard for me to make an example build to send to ya to play around with. This was one of those puzzles that I took interest in making for myself and was largely successful at for implementing in all 3 games in my own mods. I looked at the Crusader shield code, as it definitely interests me in how other creators tackle these problems, and I sincerely don't mind sharing code that is already used in other awesome, popular productions. 

Sure, you can do; though don't feel obliged to do so, of course. I might consider implementing it as a level-up upgrade or something for the Crusader in the 1.0 version, though I am adamantly against any kind of shield invulnerability. People have asked about this previously; my response is along the lines of "The Crusader is already the most tanky by a fair margin" and I certainly don't want to push that further. Hence, as you notice, mine is simply a timed block reflect, and a 'get away from me' effect.

I analyse lots of other mods myself, so I know what you mean.

On 2/11/2024 at 4:20 PM, june gloom said:

This is right. Hexen II classes on paper look like they do the same damage, however their mechanics don't line up in anyway. Which is what makes this mod's classes quite fun. :D

1 hour ago, Lemon King said:

This is right. Hexen II classes on paper look like they do the same damage, however their mechanics don't line up in anyway. Which is what makes this mod's classes quite fun. :D

Thanks, glad you like them.

Absolutely, there's a lot of factors in balance, moreso than just DPS numbers.

On 2/11/2024 at 7:25 PM, eharper256 said:

Admittedly, they did kind of fix that in Hexen II; though the Assassin was arguably the weakest class there by quite a margin.

On 2/12/2024 at 3:10 AM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Assassin is the weakest character until she gets the tier 4 weapon. Then, she is arguably the strongest character in the game against anything that isn't a boss fight. Her tier 4 weapon is stupidly efficient. Just tap fire with it and you will be killing enemies while barely wasting any shots and the weapon also pierces enemies. This makes her arguably even better than the Demoness, who has a ranged starting weapon, but her other weapons are meh (her tier 3 weapon is terrible).

That said, the most "well rounded" classes in Hexen 2 are Crusader and Necromancer imho.

Just so everyone is aware; I will be off on vacation for a week on a Cruise, so probably unable to reply to queries until next weekend.

Hope you're all enjoying 0.99 Walp! Have a good one!

On 2/16/2024 at 5:03 AM, ReaperAA said:

That said, the most "well rounded" classes in Hexen 2 are Crusader and Necromancer imho.

Which is funny, because those are the only classes which have on kill drops too.

Would be fun to have a Waplurgis-style take on a Necromancer. With life drain sickle, magic missile, bone shards, all the stuff. There's a lot of interesting options for secondary and tertiary fire as well as upgrades. Summoning skllies with bone shard tertiary? Upgrade magic missile to shoot flaming skulls? A suggestion for walpurgis 1.5 perhaps ;)

I'm back in action and back to work. Looking at the discord it seems that Tag667 (i.e. Vanilla level monster death triggers) appear to be broke again which is super annoying as I fixed this back in 0.97. Going to investigate that and probably push a hotfix soon.

Also, as we now have all the weapons, I plan to do a video soon (TM) that covers all the classes and weapons and all their quirks. Still need to write a script though.

On 2/19/2024 at 7:57 PM, CoolStory said:

Would be fun to have a Waplurgis-style take on a Necromancer. With life drain sickle, magic missile, bone shards, all the stuff. There's a lot of interesting options for secondary and tertiary fire as well as upgrades. Summoning skllies with bone shard tertiary? Upgrade magic missile to shoot flaming skulls? A suggestion for walpurgis 1.5 perhaps ;)

People do love their Necro's.

There's no guarantee I'll add extra post-1.0 classes because honestly, a new class is a LOT of work in Walp, 6 weapons and 26 upgrades and all that, plus spritework, voices etc. but I'm not ruling it out entirely.

It is with some sadness I'm announcing that I will not be able to release 1.0 Walpurgis for the 1st May as originally thought I should be able to hit.

This is due to my grandfather becoming very sick at the start of March, then breaking his hip, and then subsequently passing away a few weeks later. The funeral was this week. To me, he was my father figure, and as I'm one of his executors along with my stepgran, things have been a whirlwind, and Walp has only got the skeleton of the features I wanted for 1.0 done.

At this point, I'm not promising any specific release date, though hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

Oh no, I'm so sorry. You take all the time you need. It's just a mod, real life comes first.