Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eharper256

Walpurgis- 0.99 (For Doom, Heretic, Hexen) [NEW RELEASE!!!]

Here's a video covering two Heretic levels by Kor, specifically the E2M1 and E2M2 replacements.

Being very tight levels they're arguably not the best ones to show off how the Crusaders new spear performs in melee, but it does give me a few nice chances to use the Holy Circle. You can get it here:

Also, you might spot the newly revised upgrading interface that I mostly finished this afternoon. This now pauses time and player-inputs whilst you decide, and you get the description of what the upgrade does (and may back out) before you commit to using your item. Let me know what you think about it.

I didn't realize you did Walpurgis when you posted your video on my post.  I'm not really into mods that massively change these games so I haven't been following it.  But it looks like pretty cool stuff, good job.

8 hours ago, Kor said:

I didn't realize you did Walpurgis when you posted your video on my post.  I'm not really into mods that massively change these games so I haven't been following it.  But it looks like pretty cool stuff, good job.

Heh, says so in my user-title. Walpurgis indeed tends to get buried here at Doomworld since there are alot of purists here and no dedicated mod subforum, and that's cool, we all like to play the game as we like it, that's one of the beautiful things about Doom games.

But as a result I always go around looking for topics on levels that appear to be getting similarly buried or ignored and boost both me and them simultaneously. Killing two Afrits with one stone and all that. Glad you like the look of it. Works with Doom, Heretic and Hexen, and if you do get around to trying it out, lemme know what ya think.

New video!

Showing off a couple of the new Druid upgrades in action! The video starts with me already with the upgraded [1] slot (I found an Azurinthine in Map 1, and this is map 2). If you've been following the ZDoom forum threads, you'll know that using an upgrade item on your basic [1] now gives a 3-for-1 deal. In the Druid's case, that means getting Turul, the Hawk Familiar, along with allowing double baselard throw and better bleed effects.

This test made me think that Turul is probably a little too strong right now and will be tuned down slightly (lol). Oddly enough he's much stronger in confined areas than my usual wide-open test map.

The video covers maps 2 & 3 of a wad called "10x10" by lunchlunch, so named because they're restricted to using 10 flats, and 10 textures each level. I played an earlier version and enjoyed it, and its now out in RC1. You can get it here:

So, a quick question for everyone:

Following Doomguy himself, protagonists in Doom-engine games don't have much of a voice besides Pain, Falling, Failing use, and Jump noises.
>>Do you think its more immersive if I add EXERTION and TAUNT noises?
Or would that be more annoying to you?

I ask since its something I've been experimenting with today; adding in exertion noises (i.e. HAA! Yaaa! type noises to weapon swings) and an auto-taunt system with a built in repitition-breaker and low-ish chance to activate. It's made possible by the fact that GZDoom can play overlapping noises rather than being limited strictly to the usual 7 sound channels. Obviously, if the response is hugely against the idea I don't want to blow too much more work looking for applicable sound samples, hence the question!

Here's a video showing the exertion and auto-taunts in action! The reaction in other places was pretty positive to this being added, so here it is, with the Myrmidon demonstrating for us.

This system (which can be fully disabled if you dislike it) gives us a bit more audio life to our characters, with exertion (haa! yaa!) type noises and gives you a chance to auto-taunt (with a % chance you can adjust). For the purposes of this test, its cranked up to maximum taunt chance, but the default will be alot lower.

Following on from yesterday's video explaining about the new taunt and exertion sound system, here's a follow-up covering what the other 3 player classes sound like now I've finished all the editing for them, in case you were wondering about it! (Magister really didn't want to taunt much it seems, he only managed 3 despite max chance on lol).

New Video!

First time checking out a level with the active taunt system fully completed and with the Gladius upgrades done as well (though I think this one needs a buff!). This should be the standard average occurance for taunts with the default settings. Let me know if you think that's too high or too low, but seems about right to me. :)

This Map02 from the entertainingly named WAD "Mayan Reynolds" by Eggboy. You can get it here: 

Playing a bit with the Fighter class, I noted that the basic attacks for all weapons don't consume any mana, and that seems to make the slot 1 weapon seem much less useful. That seems like a bit of a balance issue. I believe Hexen handled that by still allowing players to attack with weapons 2 and 3 without ammo, but they did noticeably less damage.

6 hours ago, Stabbey said:

Playing a bit with the Fighter class, I noted that the basic attacks for all weapons don't consume any mana, and that seems to make the slot 1 weapon seem much less useful. That seems like a bit of a balance issue. I believe Hexen handled that by still allowing players to attack with weapons 2 and 3 without ammo, but they did noticeably less damage.

It's intentional for the Myrmidon to have a melee mode for each weapon that is mana-less; he's supposed to be the easier to understand class.

Also, each type of mana-less melee has its niche. The Gladii are fast and pokey and excel in hit and run, the Hammer has strong as heck swings but is very slow, the Axe establishes a medium between these two, and the Ultimate is super-strong but has a wind-up period so requires committing to your attack. You should weapon-swap based on what you need right now (and the two alternate fires), and upgrades can be applied to your favourite melee mode to cover over its usual weaknesses and make it universal.

Melee also has somewhat less value in many Doom and Heretic levels, as there are often ALOT of projectiles heading your way.

The [1] slot is indeed only supposed to be for emergency use on all the classes. For the Mymidon, it still has the benefit of grappling chain however, if you're having issues getting enemies down to you and don't want to waste mana on projectiles.

0.96 is here!
Get it from MEGA here

Or from GoogleDrive here

It's quite a big update! All of the upgrades are now in place, along with all of the alternate in-slot-2 weapons. Check out the changes below:

[0.96]
'One-Stop Upgrade Shop'
--------------------
19/03/2022
+New!:    Huge back-end update to the upgrading system. It will now pause the game
        and halt movement, and allow you to preview what the upgrade does before
        applying it to your weapon. You can also back out from all stages of the
        menu by pressing the USE key. Uses bigger text and overlay base rather
        than the rather barebones thing that existed before. With this update of
        the system, its now possible to add in alternate means of upgrading.
+New!:    Which leads us to a new optional mode: Pnakotic Manuscripts Mode. This
        removes Upgrade Items, and replaces them with items that function in a
        similar fashion to Heretic Tomes of Power. When used from inventory, a
        Pnakotic Manuscript gives you ALL upgrades at once for 30 seconds.
        As usual, you can enable this mode from the Walpurgis Options menu.
+New!:    When upgrading your basic [1] slot weapon, you now only require ONE single
        Upgrade item to get ALL of the upgrades for it; giving you a three for
        one deal, and making this a competitive choice against always updating
        your mana-using weapons first.
+New!:    The Crusader gets his alternate in-slot (2) weapon, the Storm Sect Spear!
        This is the final one to go in.
        > [Primary Fire] is a mana-free spear thrust and swipe combo, that also
          automatically shield bashes foes that are too close! The spear has
          a long range (as you might expect) compared to most melee weapons.
          >> Upgrading this will make the spear attack faster, with 10% higher
             damage caused per hit as well.
        > [Secondary Fire] summons a spectral partisan. It will wait a moment in
          place before selecting a target (priotising targets in front of where
          you spawned it) and sailing off to detonate in its face.
          >> Upgrading this will make the fire mode cost +3 more, but two
             projectiles will be summoned at once, and if you hold the alt-fire
             button, all partisans currently out will wait until you release the
             alt-fire button to launch them all in a simultaneous barrage!
        > [Tertiary Fire] will spawn a magic circle in front of you, which will
          gradually charge with energy, and then detonate around two seconds
          later in a dome of crackling holy lightning.
          >> Upgrading this will make it cost +2 more per cast, but the circle
             will wait and detonate only when there are enemies nearby. It will
             also have a larger AoE and 10% more damage.
        By default, this will spawn randomly along with The Lightbringer, but you
        disable either of them in the Walpurgis Options if preferred.

>> NEW MYRMIDON UPGRADES
+New!    {{Ventus Gladius [2] Primary}}: Every 4-6 swings, you'll perform a very
        strong Dual-Strike with both blades, eviscerating weaker enemies and
        seriously hurting stronger foes.
        {{Secondary}}: Wind Blades fired by the Gladii travel faster and pierce
        through enemies, knocking them back whilst ripping away at them, giving
        the Dual-Gladius vastly increased AoE crowd-control abilities.
        {{Tertiary}}: Charges the Blast Tornado at slightly over twice the usual
        speed, allowing you to more quickly deal massive close range blasts.
+New!    {{Quietus [4] Primary}}: Changes the momentum mechanic: no longer any
        delay to reach maximum speed and damage on the swings.
        {{Secondary}}: When the Torpedo detonates, it will also send out several
        waves of an Aurora-type effect that deals additional damage and propel
        foes away.
        {{Tertiary}}: Each Blazing Fusilade swing will fire off +50% more
        fireballs than usual, creating a rather large volley of them.

>> NEW CRUSADER UPGRADES
+New!    {{Crux Calicus [4] Primary}}: The Primary fire instead fires twin-linked
        shots for concentrated hits. Though this reduces the rapid fire effect
        of the primary, the twin shots are 25% more mana efficient and still
        deal the same damage as before, making it quite brutal.
        {{Secondary}}: The Secondary Vortex now also explodes with a spherical
        manifold of stellar fire on both its creation and collapse, in the
        off-chance anything is still alive after the vortex. XD
        {{Tertiary}}: The Tertiary no longer creates a static wall, but a full
        360 degree halo around you instead, which follows you as you move about.
        It does last about 2 seconds less overall, and each piece has slightly
        less health, though.
+Tweak:    Mace Charge Attack (Upgraded Mace Tertiary) was made stronger and
        more worth your time in addition to its previous reliability update a
        few patches back. As usual this update, comes with the other [1]'s too.

>> NEW MAGISTER UPGRADES
+New!    {{Agnus Abyssus [4] Primary}}: The Primary Fire will launch 33% more
        homing darkblades every wave, further increasing its potency.
        {{Secondary}}: The Secondary Fire will cause the unleashed Hellfire
        to explode a second time, creating more devastation each wave.
        {{Tertiary}}: When you Teleport with a created Hell-Gate, you will
        blast away enemies on arrival, and the cost for placing the gate in
        the first place will be completely refunded.

>> NEW DRUID UPGRADES
+New!:    {{Baselard [1] Primary}}: Stabs and Swipes do additional bleed damage.
        {{Secondary}}: You will now throw two baselards in quick succession
        and can hold down the fire button to continually throw them.
        {{Tertiary}}: Not strictly an upgrade, applying a Azurinthine
        to upgrade this fire mode allows Illitheya to summon her Mystical
        Falcon Familiar, Turul. Turul stays close until you see enemies, at
        which point he zips off to provide remote fire support with flurries
        of deadly pinions. He stays out even when changing weapons, though you
        can use the Baselard Tertiary Fire again to toggle his summoning.
        <<NOTE: YOU NOW GAIN ALL 3 Baselard upgrades for a single Azurinthine!>>
+New!    {{Dagon's Cane [2] Primary}}: The Water Ball of the primary fire gets extra
        pressure, exploding with more force on impact and briefly stunning foes.
        {{Secondary}}: The Geyser erupts with double the water in a secondary
        blast, giving it wider radius, blast, and somewhat higher damage.
        {{Tertiary}}: The Tsunami Surge has a wider line that it cuts with as
        you charge, and deals more damage based on your speed.
+New!    {{Ichival [4] Primary}}: When using Sniper Mode, you'll now concentrate
        for the time-slow and zoom at twice the usual speed. Arrows fired will
        deal around 15% more damage and knock foes not killed back.
        {{Secondary}}: The Artillery Arrow will now have its projectiles fire
        off an additional arrow of light if they impact the terrain during flight
        or from missing a monster, covering an additional area in a hail of arrows.
        {{Tertiary}}: The Bouncing Blazer will now unleash triple the usual
        amounts of napalm each time it bounces, turning tight rooms into
        extreme burning death.

>> OTHER CHANGES    
+New!:    New Elite Monster: The Harpy Screecher. Replaces Heretic Imp (Basic),
        and has similar behaviours of charging at you and clawing, though will
        stop to re-target if it is misses, and tends to be more damaging.
        Also makes an ungodly amount of bird screeching noises to annoy you.
+New!:    New Exertion sounds and Passive Auto-Taunt system for all classes,
        to add to player immersion. If you don't like this and prefer the old
        style silent protagonists (or changing the taunt rate, which is quite
        low by default), you can alter this in the Walpurgis Options as usual.
+New!:    Also added extra pain sounds; and failed use sounds, to match above.
+New!:    When browsing Inventory Items, the currently focused item on the quickbar
        will have a short description of its effect. Ideal for those not familiar
        with Item effects, and QoL for everyone in general.
+New!:    Walpurgis now gives you a reminder if you start a new map without
        having fullscreen mode on, telling you to correctly use the custom HUD.
        The option to enable this is also made much more visible at the top of
        the Walpurgis Options menu to help prevent confusion for new players.
+New!:    Slashing and piercing weapons now actually inflict a bleeding status on
        monsters. You'll see them splatter for a couple seconds after being hit.
        This only does very minor damage in most cases, but can helpfully invoke
        pain states. The Druid's Baselard deals much larger bleeds as its niche
        thing now (and making it sorta more realistic, as that is its thing iRL)
        rather than dealing poison damage.
+Tweak:    Tertiary Fire for the Druid's Dagon Cane got additional visual flair
        that makes it look more impressive (more swirl, bubbles, and splashes).        
+Tweak:    Secondary Fire (Artillery Arrow) for Druid's Ichival now fires in a
        spiral pattern rather than a eight pointed star shape. Because coolness.
+Tweak:    Tertiary Fire for Myrmidon's Vorpal Axe (Thrown Axe) now has extra
        visual flair, with trailing lightning and sparklies as it flies.
+Tweak:    Tertiary Fire for Myrmidon's Ventus Gladii (Whirlwind Blast) now actually
        creates a Whirlwind for better visuals once more.
+Tweak:    Primary Fire for Algor (Ice Shards) now has additional hand animations
        (8 extra frames) to make the whole thing look alot smoother.
+Tweak: Requested Feature~ You can now choose a 4th option for [2] Weapon spawning,
        picking one of the options and then only this one spawns from then on.
+Fixed:    Dimensional Instability mode broke levels with BOSSDEATH flags like
        E1M8 and MAP07. The spawners now correctly inherit the required info
        to trigger BOSSDEATH flags, regardless of the monster spawned.
+Fixed:    Ichival Primary time-slow when sniping, if sustained for 5+ seconds,
        would sometimes not be removed immediately upon releasing the arrow.
        This issue has now been fixed, and time-flow will resume immediately,
        making the focus feel much smoother!!
+Fixed:    Stygian Imp could sometimes create an insurmountable corpse when dying
        due to a missing call. Fixed. Also had Red Blood, Fixed to Blue.
+Fixed:    String for Doom Automap was missing a semi-colon, so its pickup text
        was garbled and mixed with Morph Ovum (lol). Fixed.
+Fixed:    Cybercommando spawner never actually spawned a Cybercommando! Fixed.
+Fixed:    Though Hexen Geists were replaced by the new spawners and could become
        Fetid Geist Elites, this didn't affect Geists that started buried in
        the ground (which is actually the majority of them in Vanilla Hexen...)
        The buried version has been given a new revised spawner to fix this.
        As a bonus, buried Geists are now harder to spot, come out quicker,
        and throw dirt around in a better looking manner when unearthing.
+Fixed:    Lightbringer Prism could be thrown around by Cyberdemon Rockets. Fixed.
+Fixed: Satyr Gladiator inherited Ettin's XDeath State when gibbed. Fixed.
+Fixed:    The Crux Calicus Vortex has Orbiter effects to indicate where the
        dangerous area of supergravity begins, but it wasn't too accurate before.
        It's now much tighter and closer to where it should be, so beware when
        crossing the starry border!
+Fixed:    The Myrmidon can now fire Quietus Torpedoes up close and not worry about
        murdering himself with them. Rather needed with the upgraded Torpedo, lol.
+Fixed:    A handful of sounds somehow escaped last patches big conversion to OGG
        from WAV. Those have now been done as well. Every 100K saved, eh?

3 hours ago, RaiderX said:

Hey i noticed this while playing. I have partial invisibility

Screenshot (7).png

Lol, that's a thing. XD

Its quite an edge case you've got, but why this happens is that the new upgrade system uses a fake weapon overlay to help display its text. I guess I should have figured that Blur Sphere would affect it, haha. Just hit your Use key to back out and wait for your invisibility to end.

Thanks for reporting it though, I'll see if I can find a workaround for later patches to avoid that.

Keep in mind that Walpurgis actually has its own test map you can access from the menu as well, rather than needing the Universal Tester map.

Edited by eharper256

Thelokk asked me to check out his wad, so here's a quick vid of Maps 2 and 3! You can get this mapset here:

Here's another quick video covering MEKANISM by WOMP the CAT. Check it out!

Pretty fast paced lightweight techbase levels with purple.

You can get this mapset here:

So, here's something fun I've been working on randomly a little bit at a time since the release last week:
bgtTnSq.png
Yup, my personal vision of how everyone looks when unmasked/unhooded!
(In case its not clear, from left to right, this is Baratus, Daedolon, Illitheya, and Parias).

Probably needs a few errant pixels hunted down and maybe a few more tweaks and bits of shading (I've changed Illitheya's arms a gazillion times already lol), but overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! :)

Here's maps 1-4 of Blood Flash 2 by Hayden49:

Short and punchy levels with some nice secrets, which are always my favourite kind.

You can get this WAD here:

Following on from new portraits, the obvious next step with that is updating the F1 help cards! (as whilst still relevant, they're a bit dated now)
TT9Ddhb.png
sg8vqed.png

VwlzFaC.png

OqAH58K.png

Let us know what you all think!

Edited by eharper256

Here's a video of 100-Line Massacre by @NinjaDelphox and Arsinikk:

This one was in one of those surprising 'why does this not have a vid yet?' kind of topics, so here we are. I always like projects that have some kind of restriction in place, they usually make for creative maps, and this is no exception. A highly intense little map-set with some neat gimmicks (they good me good with that red-key trick, I started thinking I was in the Legend of Grimrock for a moment).

You can get it here:

Well I wasn't actually intending or expecting to have a mid-week video today, but alas, the out of the blue summoning of TNT2 made me figure I should cover it, so here we are:

You can get it here:

Edited by eharper256

So its that time again:
What do you prefer the focus of the next patch is?

A) Inventory Filling. One of those things that's been on the backburner forever; this one includes adding in a plethora of additional utility items to support the Flechette, unique to each class: i.e. Myrmidon gets extra utility weapons (Caltrops, Pilums). Crusader gets extra holy relics. Magister gets extra wands. Druid gets extra nature summons. This option also includes various tweaks to current items, in some cases turning them into scrolls.

Or B) Optional RPG/Capitalism Mode. I mentioned before that the new upgrade system, now being more robust, can support more ways to progress, so this would focus on those options. Both would alter the Walp bestiary so that they would drop either XP's or souls. Collecting XP to thresholds would allow a free trip to the level-upper screen, where we would have a level-up system similar to earlier Heroes of Might and Magic games (3 randomised upgrade options to pick from weapons you can currently use, along with a guaranteed Max HP or Max Mana increase option, and one option to buy a Full-Heal instead). Captalism mode works similar, but you can hold your souls between levels, and each new level will generate deals of the day with potential sales. Would also have a submode where all item and weapon drops are stripped from levels, but everything on the shop is cheaper and regenerated frequently and would include weapons.

Eventually, both will probably get in there, but this is what 0.97 will focus on prioritising as both are fair amounts of work. :o

No other votes here? Surprisingly low turnout this time, usually I get at least half-a-dozen thoughts in various places, but I guess you can never predict the whimseys of the internet. :)

Okay, perhaps it was just the timing before (lol). In various places I now have 6 A's to 1 B, so unless a surge of RPG mode enjoyers comes out of the woodwork or I get votes here, I guess we're going with that.  :)

Happy easter everyone!

Not dead over here, by the way, but had my customary "burnout avoidance weeks" now the 0.96 initial wave was over. For those of you newer to Walp, I basically avoid Doom for a couple weeks after the initial publicity stage of the release and do other stuff for awhile, so that I can go in fresh when I start re-developing the next patch.

Got myself my first win in Tales of Maj'Eyal, which I returned to after many years, picking up the DLC's. Gotta love me some classic roguelikes every so often. XD

Going to be doing some more item theorycrafting for today. If you have suggestions or ideas of what you'd like to see, be that utility items, or class specific things, let me know!

Hi everyone! The initial design for the new items is mostly done.

I've decided that they will be a set of 3-4 utility items that will be unique to each class (total of 12-15) and will have a special function: when used from inventory, they inhabit and replace the function that will be attached to your GZDoom Zoom key.

So in effect, they will be like an utility equipment slot. Once in that slot, they will be able to be used freely, but on a cooldown (which will vary based on the item).

In addition, various more quirky items from all from all 3 games will be turned into an equivalent equippable utility, such as Disc of Repulsion, Morph Ovum, and Blur Spheres with probably slight changes in their behaviour to account for cooldowns.

Some examples (NOT FULLY SET IN STONE!)
For the Myrmidon, the unique items will be things to help him survive in melee or give backup ranged options: A Warhorn that gives a long stun to a cone in front, or a Plantable Banner that will give Myrm minor regen and damage buff in vicinity.

For the Crusader, the items will help further his defenses and damage: A Cloak that flares in blinding light to scare away enemies, or a Relic that allows you to mark an evildoer and do more damage to it to duration, whils the relic smites it with lightning.

For the Magister, they will be scrolls and rings with utility and escape spells: A ring that provides mirror images to baffle enemies while making your invisible, or a spell that gives you a big speed boost whilst you trail explosive flames everywhere.

For the Druid, they will include various totems and traps to emphasise her lockdown abilities, like a Tremour Totem that will constantly knock foes away, or a trap that will explode in a wad of razor wire and caltrops to delay and bleed foes.

As noted, these are just ideas, but they should all be feasible to code.

New video!

Been awhile since the last one huh? Well, it's been my cooldown period after the last big release of 0.96. I usually do this for a week or two, ignoring FPS for a couple of weeks.

This one is a new Heretic Episode by Kenon, Dungeons & Monsters, which I thought I'd check out! It's pretty sprawling and quite intense on the combat front, but a fun play. You can get this wad here:

Suggestion. Currently playing

with the 0.96 build, picked Illitheya. Difficulty - 4/5. Small locations, many enemies. Previously you have told that there no new classes planned.

347-5748a1b6afcb8.png

I'm wondering would it be possible, perhaps, add some new forms for Illitheya? She already can become a werewolf. During progression another ounces can be probably get on board, like 6 hands creature from Shadowcaster that might make, for example, earthquake as an attack method. Not many games, same as mods in overall, used transform feature, it's kinda rare thing. Few forms - especially.

Or, well, at least I can't remember any other titles where you can play as a shapeshifter.

5 hours ago, UnknDoomer said:

I'm wondering would it be possible, perhaps, add some new forms for Illitheya? She already can become a werewolf. During progression another ounces can be probably get on board, like 6 hands creature from Shadowcaster that might make, for example, earthquake as an attack method. Not many games, same as mods in overall, used transform feature, it's kinda rare thing. Few forms - especially.

Or, well, at least I can't remember any other titles where you can play as a shapeshifter.

If, and this is a pretty darn big IF, I get around to alternate-slot 3 weapons, other transforms were considered as options for Illitheya.

My design document includes ideas for both a bug/mantis type form with slashing arms and swarm abilities, and a crystal-golem form that can create and fire various elemental crystals. Both would be durable ranged combatants unlike the Wolf which is super-fast melee focused; since they would need to be a valid alternatives to the Hebiko Sceptre.

Of course, the Wolf needed ALOT of artwork, and this would be a similar large effort (as has been the case with all the alt-slot 2's) so this sort of stuff is not guaranteed any time soon, if at all. Depends on how I feel as we approach 1.0 version.

BTW. Regarding poll from April 1. My vote for B. It seems it will cover some things that HeXeReTiC Fantasy has and I liked, but that mod is overloaded by enemy types and some other things, that can't be settled up. Also it doesn't support Doom and Hexen, while I'm mostly use Walpurgis for the last one. As for the items... current number of them seems to be fine for now in my opinion.

Edited by UnknDoomer