Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nekr0s1s

Anyone into tokusatsu?

I see many anime fans around the world, but i've never heard of any tokusatsu* fans. Have you watched the recently released (on Tokushoutsu) Kamen Rider Kuuga, or even the very first one? What about that newly annouced Ultraman comic book by Marvel? "The Rise of Ultraman"

*Power Rangers and other US adaptations included.

Surprised to see no replies here, I've just started dwelling more into tokusatsu ever since I first watched Kamen Rider Build back in November-December.

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

Maybe one needs to explain what Tokusatsu is first?

In Japanese, it's a term referring to special effects used by action shows in general, although it has now been associated with Japanese superhero shows.

3 minutes ago, InDOOMnesia said:

In Japanese, it's a term referring to special effects used by action shows in general, although it has now been associated with Japanese superhero shows.

Okay. I'd probably need a visual to understand why this term exists, i figure its a very specific effect or?

4 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Okay. I'd probably need a visual to understand why this term exists, i figure its a very specific effect or?

It's actually just special effects in general. These are mostly live-action stuff like Kamen Rider/Super Sentai, Ultraman, and Godzilla.
Common such effects include transformation phases and explosions upon enemy defeats. These may help explain tokusatsu to those not in the know.

Well, I did watch Power Rangers as a kid as I imagine many of my generation did.

There isn't much past that, I have seen the original Godzilla film, or Gojira if you prefer, I feel like I maybe watched one of the later movies but I'm never going to remember what one it was. 

I don't know if Devilman would count, maybe the live action movie counts... except that was awful and we generally pretend it doesn't exist. There is The Guyver, I've seen both the anime series' and the two live action American movies (which are ah, charming in their goofiness and have pretty neat effects, that Mark Hammill transforming into a cockroach scene, stuff of nightmares that was) 

I haven't had any interest in watching modern tokusatsu though, some have tried to sell it to me but I haven't seen anything that really jumps out at me as something I would like. 

I always liked the US Power Rangers.

The first serie and the movie were really amazing. Remember seeing it on movie theatre and having a blast with those ''advanced'' special effects of the era.

Ivan Oooze was a real badass, but the most awesome design was the one of Lord Zedd, his exposed brain bobbing was just awfully amazing.

I don't follow them now, but whenever i find them while zapping, i look at those adventures with my kid eyes and still enjoy them.

The original Power Ranger song theme is still a heavy banger!!!

Just awesome track:

The sega Genesis Power Rangers: The Movie beat em up is one i still enjoy to this day.

Awesome game for playing with friends.

I remember other similar shows of the era, like VR-Troopers and Kamen Rider.

They were really cool, too.

@hybridial Didn't i show you a video of Tokusatsu Devilman once :P

And yeah i love Tokusatsu :D

All the toku fans here should check out "Tokusatsu Gagaga" it's a great show :)

2 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

The original Power Ranger song theme is still a heavy banger!!!

I will just leave this here - 

No reason that I just find it really funny how much the Power Rangers theme sounds like a song about a pervy stalker. 

1 minute ago, hybridial said:

I will just leave this here - 

No reason that I just find it really funny how much the Power Rangers theme sounds like a song about a pervy stalker. 

Yeah i knew about how similar they sound, but well, after long years trying, i never get much into Iron Maiden :/

Even when i seen they live like... 2 or 3 times? i don't remember exactly.

Great show for sure, but not the kind of music i listen all the time.

Its not about the genre, its something on the music itself, maybe Bruce Dickinson voice, don't know what exactly, but i get tired of listening them really fast.

Still some tunes are really great.

I really like the album ''Brave New World'' and the last song, ''Between Love & Hate'' is one i really enjoy.

It may sound dope, but right now i'm more into Bruce Springsteen and this guy:

all the episodes are available on the official Tsuburaya channel, along with other series such as Gridman, which became Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad in the US.

2 hours ago, hybridial said:

Well, I did watch Power Rangers as a kid as I imagine many of my generation did.

Same, though I guess it depends on which series, back in my day (wow does that not make me sound like an old fart) we had Power Rangers Mystic Force and Operation Overdrive on TV.

Quite digged Mystic Force.

Whenever I saw Power Rangers as kid, I literally had no idea that it was an edited version of a different series.