Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The 96 kb challenge: final round of Doom!

On 7/6/2023 at 9:01 AM, Keyboard_Doomer said:

Hello,

seems like after a long while the wad is getting very close to the final release so let us take the opportunity to take the first half of the maps for Thursday Night Survival today.
The session starts 11 hours from the time of this reply and you can expect it to be fairly active for 4+ hours.

Hi, was the session recorded? did you people find any serious bugs or similar?

not animating switches at map12. If it's still broken in the latest version, the fix is known, can be found and applied if needed. Other than that, I haven't seen anything sus. Hadn't seen half the maps then tho

On 7/10/2023 at 4:24 PM, NeedHealth said:

Hi, was the session recorded? did you people find any serious bugs or similar?

I think @Rosh Fragger was recording but no videos uploaded yet. However, demos from all maps are temporarily available here.

You can play them back either with "zdaemon.exe -netplay demo.zdd" or through Zlauncher: Local -> View Demo. You'll need these wads to play them back:
d2spfx19-withdeh.wad
96KBmain2__20230702.wad
96kpal.wad
96KBmain2__20230702_coopfix.wad
tns-dehacked-20230119.wad
tns-rsrc-20181112.wad
rhinolib-dev20230216.wad
tns621.wad

Issues that were fixed before the session are documented in the coopfix README. The non-animating switches mentioned above are not in MAP12 but in MAP11 (and also line 112 in MAP31 but that one lowers a lift to a secret so might not even be unintended). A few more issues were encountered during the session but we still have the second half of the wad ahead of us for tomorrow so I'll post about them after that.

Just letting folks here know that in about half an hour, as of this message, Thursday Night Survival is continuing the wad, map 16 onwards.

Hello again,

after already linking the coopfix README by boom_compatible, here's a bunch more issues and nitpicks, gathered mostly from TNS:

MAP02:
    - the progression at the start seems a bit obscure, I think it would be good to at least have line 30 marked in some way
MAP07:
    - seems like all of the ammo in all 4 parts of sector 18 is inaccessible
MAP08:

- It's possible to go through lines 775-777, 780, 782, 783, 785, 786, 916 and 918 and all the walls that touch sector 7. These should all be solid walls. And it's also possible to get seemingly stuck at the red key because going back through line 918 is not straightforward.
MAP09:
    - The exit lowers very slowly for multiplayer purposes (since more players can kill the monsters much faster). Perhaps some speed-up could be achieved with multiplayer voodoo dolls. Even in singleplayer I think I had to wait for over a minute after I killed all monsters.
MAP11:
    - The area with the yellow skull key (thing 9) softlocks easily in multiplayer if a player dies there because a switch (line 403) inside the area needs to be pressed to lower sector 28 again. It's also possible that a player that raised the sector dies before crossing the line to open sector 10 making it worse.
MAP12:
    - I realize this map is part of an episode dedicated to resource starvation but in this particular map the ammo seemed very low without finding the secret with the extra ammo
MAP18:
    - there's a hole in the ground in sector 85 and a monster or a player can fall down there and get stuck
    - it's possible to walk through the walls of sector 83

- HOM on line 468 after sector 62 has been lowered
    - hitscanners (and hitscan weapons) can shoot through sector 25 which is otherwise a solid wall
    - there are 2 doors (sectors 64 and 113) in the map that use the blue key texture but have a "any key" action on both sides
MAP20:
    - the backup teleporter (sector 43) near the start is a bit hard to see and after a 20% damaging floor, it would be good to have it in a more visible place, especially place for multiplayer
MAP21:
    - the start is a bit annoyingly slow because of the 8 switches and having to wait for one to finish lowering the wall before being able to press the next one
MAP22:
    - items in 116 are inaccessible so it's not possible to get 100% items
    - ...and even more nitpicky issue is that line 427 permanently raises the 2 sectors next to it so the 2 health bonuses can become inaccessible
MAP24:
    - it's possible to fall into sector 42 or 44 and get stuck after killing the spectre there with splash damage (or with infinitely tall actors disabled)
MAP28:
    - there seem to be missing fence textures on lines 714 and 729 (on both sides) near the exit and possibly lines 719, 720 and 916 which are also impassable and have a fence next to them
MAP30:
    - this might be intentional because it's missing in 2 places but the map has no name in the dehacked
MAP31:
    - it's possible to skip the exit line and get stuck in sector 127

To finish it off, a few typos in the text file:
kylobites -> kilobytes
diiferent -> different
skyes -> skies

Chaine -> Chainie (I think)
complation -> compilation

Edited by Keyboard_Doomer