Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The 96 kb challenge: final round of Doom!

I'm gonna go thru the wad for more bugs, cuz I already found one at map12 (sky Y offsets screwed up). Reserving it

EDIT:

Found missing flat 'FB' (map16) and replaced it with 'ALLBLAKF'

Fixed offsets for skies on the remaining maps.

The RL secret on map18 was changed in some of our builds, I made it closer to its original behavior

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qbs3e8b751gbh0/96KBchallengeUpdatedBasewadV5.wad?dl=1

Edited by SilverMiner

2 hours ago, Jark said:

Hide contents

While the current TITLEPIC is relevant, the visual noise completely invalidates the M_DOOM graphic. Perhaps the M_Doom

could use a black outline?

Not sure if you used another software other than Slade to insert map changes you made @Bob9001 however, the wad
organisation was all over the place since my first changes - I presume you did build off of the V1 I posted? Either way,

I have readjusted it, though I would ask a little more care is given in the future.

I used Doom Builder to do all map changes.

22 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

I used Doom Builder to do all map changes.

Strange, not sure why it happened then - forgive me for my assumptions.

On 8/23/2022 at 5:35 PM, SilverMiner said:

I'm gonna go thru the wad for more bugs, cuz I already found one at map12 (sky Y offsets screwed up). Reserving it

EDIT:

Found missing flat 'FB' (map16) and replaced it with 'ALLBLAKF'

Fixed offsets for skies on the remaining maps.

The RL secret on map18 was changed in some of our builds, I made it closer to its original behavior

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qbs3e8b751gbh0/96KBchallengeUpdatedBasewadV5.wad?dl=1

Thanks for the changes. I think this project is pretty close to being able to released - I must say we've fixed enough bugs to warrant it!

@Walter confetti are there any remaining things that must be done?

To be honest I still think it's better to remove custom palette, not because it's ugly or anything, it's just feels off and how 3 wads in KB series didn't had any custom palettes and suddenly this one got

3 hours ago, Jark said:

are there any remaining things that must be done?

I don't think so, but i don't have played it yet

4 hours ago, D1m3 said:

To be honest I still think it's better to remove custom palette, not because it's ugly or anything, it's just feels off and how 3 wads in KB series didn't had any custom palettes and suddenly this one got

I agree with this

Ok, i'm home at my pc and what needs a change is:

• CREDIT Screen (unless you like it)
  • A ceiling in MAP03 is slightly taller, but i can fix this easily
  • Removing the palette? More than that, i think it's better leave the palette in a stand-alone wad if people wants to play with it.
  • Missing dehacked lump title for MAP30 in Doom 2

For the other stuff i didn't have any issues with them... If nothing else will break the wad, it could be ready for release!

Edited by Walter confetti

> CREDIT Screen

I'd like other mappers listed there directly instead of pointing to lookup for them in authors.txt

@D1m3 how do you feel about that?

> Removing the palette? More than that, i think it's better leave the palette in a stand-alone wad if people wants to play with it.

Agree.

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

It also still using the IWAD lumps together with the new ones, i have to remove them manually...

One of the map names still needs to be changed unless someone already fixed that.

Sure fixing stuff for this project is a odyssey. I have a weird bug on animation lumps now, after changing the fireblu animation:

Spoiler

silly-anime-bug.gif

9 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Sure fixing stuff for this project is a odyssey. I have a weird bug on animation lumps now, after changing the fireblu animation:

Hide contents

silly-anime-bug.gif

Kinda wondering, is this happens in all ports or just in Eternity?

2 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Reveal hidden contents

silly-anime-bug.gif

Looks like something (probably a flat) isn't defined properly (start and end frames missing/not case sensitive?) or is missing a segment in the ANIMDEF - so it is scrolling through every flat. 

Something wasn't broken and suddenly it's broken, great, it makes for hysterical laughter

I suspect it's blood or nukage animation cycle (There should be 4 frames for each cuz I added missing ones when was building the texture pack). If something related to these was removed, this could happen.

EDIT: I mean I there should be NUKAGE4 and BLOOD4 from doom's alpha, and NUKAGE1-3 and BLOOD1-3 as well to work properly

On 9/2/2022 at 10:38 PM, Walter confetti said:

What map?

Map 19, the correct name is on the previous page first reply i think.

So @Walter confetti I was playing my own map from the V5 build that @SilverMiner compiled and I notice that there were a few monster teleporters that wasn't working because they were tag wrong so I fixed them with a few more changes:

Spoiler

- Fix 4 monster teleporters that were mistakenly tag 97

- blue & yellows keys are obtain via voodoo doll instead of teleporting 

- made some thing adjustments for balance reasons(no more unfair 4 revenant teleports in the TNT map 4 section)

- removed a few unnecessary linedefs to keep the map at 96kb as the version on the V5 build was at 97kb

96kbMAP14November2022fix.zip

Greetings,

I had a look through the final / most recent version of the project and all appears to be in order, no immediate map crashes in PrBoom+ when loading into all maps and the textures are now in a single wad (good work with that by the way, as I understand it was a bit of a pain). All that remains now for an official release is to put the PLAYPAL/COLOURMAP into the main wad and possibly the reverb wad stuff? Though I'm not quite sure how necessary the latter is - particularly as it appears to only work in ZDoom ports when this project targets Boom.

Whether or not Walter you wish to upload to IDGames is up to you, as I understand it may get rejected for iwad duplicates so it may be more trouble than it is worth - even so, I would like to see an official release for this project as I believe it to be of good standard and would be a shame to go to waste, maybe an official post or new thread here on Doomworld?

Playpal, colormap and reverb are not necessary, and could be put in a separate wad. I don't remember what's inside the latest posted wad, gonna check it sometime today

Hello,

seems like after a long while the wad is getting very close to the final release so let us take the opportunity to take the first half of the maps for Thursday Night Survival today.
The session starts 11 hours from the time of this reply and you can expect it to be fairly active for 4+ hours.