Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

A complete longplay of the official Goldeneye remaster has leaked

The video description confuses me, particularly the following:

*How did you get hold of this?*

-I can't say. Patience is key.

*Is this releasing soon/some day?*

-Release is not on me, I cannot publish this. I've been told it'll be released in 2021.

Assuming it did release this year, I wonder what platforms. Xbox One? PC? My god, having this on PC would be just mind blowing.

13 hours ago, Rudolph said:

The video description confuses me, particularly the following:

It means the game files may released in 2021, not an official release.

This looks kind of really awful in a lot of ways, I'll never understand people who want to put a bunch of really high res textures into old games like this. More, the more realistic character models don't mesh well with Goldeneye's lack of voiced dialogue and the way it does a lot of things. Like the explosion behavior actually looks really awkward with the higher resolution partially translucent sprites for them, and the much more detailed weapon models now look awkward because they still work with the original game's really simple behavior and animations.

To me, a much better way to bring back Goldeneye 64 would be just leave the graphics as is, maybe give a little bit more draw distance in some levels, and to deal with a few things like Z-fighting and some of the slowdown. I wouldn't have it running in 60fps though, because the original game and its animations and behaviors were all definitely designed with the N64's performance in mind, things like weapon sounds don't sync up well with the animations when at 60fps, for instance the AR33/M16 will fire so fast that the three round burst will sound like a single shot, which is definitely not how it's intended to come off, and doesn't when running at the more average frame rate in the game.

Things which would be nice bonuses to a rerelease for Goldeneye would be able to play the multiplayer online, and maybe developer commentary and a gallery for showing a bunch of alpha/beta leftovers, which the game had a lot of.