Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

[Now on IDGAMES, properly this time] Skulltiverse: A spiritual sequel to Hellevator. [Boom speedmapping community project]

Here's an idea for @Shawny again, regarding map21. The map is a fun romp and the main sinking arena is well done, an entertaining fight indeed, however I utterly hated the four corpse decorations in the corners, things 9, 54, 97 and 98. They look good and complement the visual, however they protrude into the gameplay area and very much block you when you try to make daring escapes around incoming monsters, heh. It is extremely frustrating to die, because you got caught by a shiskebob thing just when you thought you outmanuevered a bunch of revenants. I'd say don't remove them - since this is boom, you can afford to just create wall inlets and move the decorations inside of them, so that they don't protrude anymore.

4 hours ago, dew said:

hated the four corpse decorations in the corners

Tried to place those to be as little intrusive as possible, but looking at the editor I see that they blocking the lowest floor corners.
I can probably think of something (from removing them to maybe doing some geometry change).
I will probably decide what to do with that after more feedback from DWMC.

Because there will be an update I had done some potentional changes to map14 after @Mr. Meanor playthrough.
- Added railing in the cavern (purely cosmetic) as was mentioned long time ago by @FrancisT218 (I should have done that back then).
- Fixed ammo spawning into the map (they will now cycle in the closet if tp destination is blocked).
- Added 2/3 rockets near the rocket spawn place to teach player the spot (same as other ammo is now).
- mrmeanor_ adjustment
  Big door in the summer room now has bottom and top side so when playing a specific way both player and monsters can
  can shoot through the bottom part (the barrier is still too high to pass through). This encourage more active approach from the player,
  and in theory should also help AI not to group under the building so heavily. (There is still some breathing room for the player inside.)
- Slightly reworked Soulsphere secret.

MRmeanor adjustment.jpg

Edited by Shawny : Added note after slightly editing the map.

I finally got freed up so I finished e3. It may not be as persistently strong as e2 perhaps, but it was still a strong, fun episode with great highlights. I got some minor reports for ya again!

In map21 I think the cyb should descend lower so player isn't motivated to ssg him to death from this spot - it's just moments before the telefrag, so it's an entirely pointless exercise, but player can be like "but what if...", not knowing it's a done deal.

In map22 there's a tiny texture bleed in sector 91, yes it's the tiniest and most hidden bug ever. I'd also say mark that one linedef secret as the rest, it sort of gives away the upcoming ambush.

In map24 similarly mark secret the monster teleport lines (also the ones in the north corner of the map), they look goofy on the automap, since the player can't use them. Also check this scene, this may not be worth fixing, but @Moustachio, keep in mind for the next time that this sort of detail makes the floor bumpy in non-zdoom ports. The final cyb fight means circlestrafing around the room and while zdoom handles this easily with its increased floor grip/air control, regular doom shows a lot of vertical shaking. Plus sliding down the floors actually impedes movement a little due to the iceskating effect of momentum. Less is better when it comes to floor detail on boom and below!

In map25 I really liked the key arena fights, that was well composed and somewhere between skillsaw and sunlust difficulty-wise, heh. I have a stylistic recommendation for @Lunch Lunch though, the map could use an automap cleanup pass. Some mappers are entirely fetishistic about visually pleasing automaps, hiding away unnecessary sector detail and such, but in your case it'd be enough to hide unwanted "active" lines by marking them secret. Generally you only want to show doors and lifts and other truly active lines, but you're giving away the ambush closets as well. It also made me aware of the invul secret straight away, though I wasn't objecting to that, heh. It's not very productive work and in a speedmap it could be wasted time, but since you guys are doing a bugfix pass, I thought I'd bring it up.

I dig the concept of map26, that was pretty inventive and suspenseful. However I thought the optional spider fight went on for a bit too long for "just the plasma". Particularly since I only found it after getting to full stack, heh.

In map27 the two barons released by linedef tag 39 (after reaching RK) are utterly, utterly inefficient. I didn't even notice them since I was on the way out of the building anyway. One of them managed to join the fight after my return from the YK area, but the other one followed me "east and south", which meant he got stuck forever in sector 789 below the RK staircase. Honestly? Just port them outside.

In map29 it is possible to sr50-jump to sector 77 and reach the YK arena early. It also means you can escape the safety lines and drop into the void, ruining the effect of the ships. It is a fun little speedrun shortcut if left in, tho it probably needs its own void safeties. Also it means you get to watch the HOMs on the revenant pop-up, so it'd require more activation lines for them on the edge of the arena. And the sector itself is corrosive, hah.

Cheers, folks!

I have a problem with map 30. Mouselook doesn't work only with that map . Is It supposed to be this way or is it a bug?

28 minutes ago, Battore said:

I have a problem with map 30. Mouselook doesn't work only with that map . Is It supposed to be this way or is it a bug?

It was decided that MAP30 mouselook would be disabled to prevent cheesing the map.

Hi guys, could you give me an advice for map 29 please? 

I can´t find the yellow key and continue in the map to the final fight. Thank you :-)

52 minutes ago, leebigh said:

Hi guys, could you give me an advice for map 29 please? 

I can´t find the yellow key and continue in the map to the final fight. Thank you :-)

If I remember correctly which one is yellow, you'll need to ride lift up to the wooden tower thing.

1 minute ago, leebigh said:

Yes, there is the lift but I have found no key here 

Oops. I just found out the key is accidentally tagged to be hard-only.

This things keep slipping by because UV is treated as default. Sorry about it.

There will be an update in October where this is fixed.

An updated version has been updated to idgames and made it through to the doomworld frontend. It should contain various fixes, including, most importantly, key on MAP29.

Should I talk to anyone about the description file not updating?

5 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

An updated version has been updated to idgames and made it through to the doomworld frontend. It should contain various fixes, including, most importantly, key on MAP29.

Should I talk to anyone about the description file not updating?

The raw text file seems to have been updated, not sure why it didn't get replicated on the frontend either.

Hello!  I loaded up the WAD in DSDA-Doom, and noticed the blue borders to either side of the status bar on one of the earlier screen shots on this page don't appear properly; I'm seeing a thin line at the top and mostly the ugly green bricks.  Does anyone know of a way to fix this, or is there a chance to have a true widescreen version of the status bar created?

2 hours ago, Bytefyre said:

Hello!  I loaded up the WAD in DSDA-Doom, and noticed the blue borders to either side of the status bar on one of the earlier screen shots on this page don't appear properly; I'm seeing a thin line at the top and mostly the ugly green bricks.  Does anyone know of a way to fix this, or is there a chance to have a true widescreen version of the status bar created?

There was supposed to be a flat repacement but I might have lost it due to having too many copies of the wad. The release was very cursed.

If nothing else would come up soon in need of fixing, I'll re-upload a revision with replacement intact.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

I just noticed this was silently updated back in January, however the issue with the red key on MAP08 not appearing on HNTR and lower still persists.

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

I just noticed this was silently updated back in January, however the issue with the red key on MAP08 not appearing on HNTR and lower still persists.

Oof, I think this is the first time I hear of this bug. I'll take a look at this.

Just found out, thanks to @Napsalm stream that arch-viles on MAP28 are broken. How the hell did this happen? Nobody told me for two freaking years.

Is this nodebuilder issue? Something else?

Is there a point to try and fix it after all this time? Where do I even start?

Upd: Found the problem, inner lines were monster-blocking instead of outer lines. I'm going to fix it, and make the right kind of lines.

Edited by ViolentBeetle