Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gore

I wonder a world without Doom...

A world where I can't blast demons with my Super Shotgun...

I would still be playing Call of Duty Zombies...

I wonder a world without Gore.

A world where injuries are a link to the past...

I would still be playing Super Mario 64...

Spoiler

Hey your username works in this case :)

6 minutes ago, N1ck said:

Now what would you do in a world without Wolfenstein?

I would've kept playing halo and cod

If Doom weren't made, something else would've been made in its place, and all things Doom invented and popularized would've been invented and popularized by other games. Of course, the gaming world would've been different now, but I doubt it'd be too much different.

I remember hearing somewhere that the idea of Quake came before the idea for DOOM was even conceived. The only reason Doom was Doom was because of a tabletop RPG game that ended in a demon invasion played by the ID team. Wolfenstein came before DOOM, of course, but I imagine that DOOM wouldn't exist because ID didn't exist. 

WELL...

Maze War was truly the first FPS

There existed many FPS games before DOOM, actually

Even the chart-topping Terminator game was technically an FPS

And according to the wiki list, this game's release is TBD, so if the creators have a time machine, this could be the first FPS game.

54 minutes ago, Li'l devil said:

If Doom weren't made, something else would've been made in its place, and all things Doom invented and popularized would've been invented and popularized by other games. Of course, the gaming world would've been different now, but I doubt it'd be too much different.

I second this notion.

It's hard to tell how exactly the landscape of FPS games would have looked though. The biggest change I think that would have come from not having Doom is that we might have seen vastly different weapon archetypes/concepts. Doom was what popularized the archetypes of FPS weapons. Every FPS games have the Rapid-fire DPS "Chaingun", the short range but devastating "Shotgun", the destructive and explosive "Rocket Launcher", the Uber Big Fucking Gun, and sometimes the special weapon which varies from game to game but can be closely related to the plasma gun. Oh and a melee option. These are all to some extent inspired by the weapons in doom (The chaingun, the shotgun and the Rocket Launcher being the biggest influencers).  I think that is where we would see the main difference: In weapon design.

I imagine without Doom, a more evolved version of Wolfenstein's ammo pool would have been more common? Where all weapons use the same ammo? I imagine we might have gotten fantasy style games where there are like 3 melee weapons of increasing power but either consumes a regenerating "Stamina" meter for ammo. Maybe the melee weapons would have been arranged in a sliding scale going from "fast but low damage" to "Slow but massive damage". Ranged weapons would have worked similar to Wolfenstein's shared ammo with "Magic" being the ammo in question. Maybe it can go a step further and have both the stamina and the speed be a factor for melee weapons while ranged weapons used different types of mana for different types of spells, thereby adding another layer of complexity.

As for the weapons itself, I believe that most early shooters would have taken inspiration from 80s action flicks for their weapons in the absence of Doom. I do see the fast-firing Chainguns come into existence without Doom. I can also see shotguns and Rocket Launchers come into existence though I would assume that the shotguns in those games would have much greater range (Even though ironically, Doom's basic shotgun is actually really good at sniping). I don't however see the "Uber Weapon" become a thing. At most I see something similar to how Arcade SHMUPS have limited use screen-clear attacks.

Without Doom I imagine games with objective oriented levels like Perfect Dark and Golden Eye catching on. If such games became more popular thanks to the absence of Doom, I think we might have gotten games like CoD much earlier than we did here. Perhaps modern military shooters would have had more SWAT or Rainbow Six Feel but your allies would have been AI controlled and you didn't have to worry about keeping them alive.

Without Doom, something else would have occupied its space with the same impact and lasting influence. 

In an alternate universe that "something else" is a reality, while at one point "they" will start to wonder about the same question aswell.

What if thing X (of much renown and influence on our lives) never existed? 

And the answer to that is Doom would occupy that time/space instead, while "we" would have gotten something entirely different.