Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
molecicco

[GZDoom] DOOM CE: PSX TC & D64 Retribution, overhauled

1 hour ago, Individualised said:

How were you able to get filtering on the game world without it affecting the HUD? This is the last piece I'm missing for a "truly" vanilla Doom 64 experience in GZDoom.

Turn off gzdoom's built-in texture filtering, and load 3PointFilter.pk3 that is included with this mod :)

48 minutes ago, RichardDS90 said:

Has there ever been plans to use the GEC version of the Lost Levels instead of the original version?

Yes there are, but only after it gets out of beta. I got in touch with one of the Master Edition mappers and we agreed that it's better to wait until all the bugs are fixed before I attempt a conversion.

My DOOM64.WAD doesn't work with the latest version of this for some reason.

Can i use the original N64 rom somehow?

21 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

My DOOM64.WAD doesn't work with the latest version of this for some reason.

Can i use the original N64 rom somehow?

Only the latest wad from Nightdive works. It got updated several months ago. The valid hashes are:

- MD5: 0AABA212339C72250F8A53A0A2B6189E

- SHA1: D041456BEA851C173F65AC6AB3F2EE61BB0B8B53

- SHA256: 05EC0118CC130036D04BF6E6F7FE4792DFAFC2D4BD98DE349DD63E2022925365

Edited by molecicco

Ok, i updated the game and now the wad works.

But now there's another issue. I chose the most vanilla preset but when i start the game the enemies look like they are from another DOOM port and also 3D voxelized.

3 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

Ok, i updated the game and now the wad works.

But now there's another issue. I chose the most vanilla preset but when i start the game the enemies look like they are from another DOOM port and also 3D voxelized.

lol what. Do you have voxel doom or other mods on your gzdoom autoload? Remember that after 4.9, it's reading the ini from your user folder unless you've explicitly created a portable one.

I have the gzdoom-portable.ini from a previous version of the mod.

I have nothing in any autoload folder and in the ini i only load the N64 filter

Edit: Nevermind. i'm stupid. It should be gzdoom_portable.ini, not with an upper "-"

Edited by TasAcri

In recent versions of the mod (from 3.6.0 and above), in maps with thunderstorms like the Altar Of Pain, the lighting strikes make the whole map go brighter for a moment, which looks almost like you are picking up items. In older versions this wasn't the case, the only thing that went as bright was the skybox but not the environments, at least not as much as they do now. The older versions were also how the N64 version looked so this change is less faithful.

I assume all maps that have thunderstorms are like this.

There's also a small issue with the chaingun sound. When you hold the fire button the sound rate isn't always consistent, it sounds like it loses sync sometimes.

Edited by TasAcri

Another small regression i noticed (compared to 2.1.1) is in this iconic room:

Screenshot_Doom64CE_20230617_191557.png.17deac933606d1c5d00ce6b764038d15.png

This triangle shadow didn't exist before and looks out of place. It also doesn't exist in the original N64 game (though some of the pillar shadows also don't exist but at least these make sense and look good).

The banding effect of the rotating light is closer to the original now though, so that's great.

I have another complaint regarding the ultrawide backgrounds/story stills:

The aspect ratio is good at 21:9, but it's in a 2.33:1 aspect ratio (equivalent to 560x240/1120x480) which doesn't fill up an entire 2.37:1 (2560x1080), 2.39:1 (3440x1440) or 2.40:1 (3840x1600) monitor.

A good solution would be to expand these screens to a resolution like 640x240/1280x480 which is 2.66:1. There are no monitors that wide, but it is perfect for fitting most ultrawide screens. Or for 32:9 support, you should do an 854x240/1708x480 resolution. Maybe AI can help in expanding the images if doing it manually can't do the trick as well.

Incredible! I put together a pre-configured bundle of the old PSX DOOM TC so having a modern version helps a lot! I have one-complaint: Why is texture filtering enabled for PSX DOOM?? This isn't "faithful" in any regard and it's kind of annoying that no matter what feature-level the player chooses, it gets enabled! Of course, it's fine for DOOM64, but the two shouldn't mix :P

I'd prefer to set the Faithful mode by default when invoking the WAD (via my launcher) but choosing Faithful mode always turns filtering on, even if it was off before :( Is there any INI / cmd setting I can include to default to "Faithful" mode, with texture filtering off?

On 5/29/2023 at 5:23 PM, TasAcri said:

I assume all maps that have thunderstorms are like this.

In 3.8.1, I've added an option in the special effects menu to toggle if lightning flashes sky sectors or just the skybox.

On 5/29/2023 at 5:23 PM, TasAcri said:

There's also a small issue with the chaingun sound. When you hold the fire button the sound rate isn't always consistent, it sounds like it loses sync sometimes.

Due to tic rate differences between the engines, frame tics are rounded to their pc doom equivalents. The chaingun is a particular case where tics are rounded up and down on each frame to achieve the same damage rate as the original, that's why the sound doesn't feel consistent.

On 6/17/2023 at 11:19 AM, TasAcri said:

Another small regression i noticed (compared to 2.1.1) is in this iconic room:

This, as well as other bugs have been fixed in 3.8.1 (actually a couple of versions ago).

On 9/29/2023 at 7:40 AM, Kroc said:

Why is texture filtering enabled for PSX DOOM?? This isn't "faithful" in any regard and it's kind of annoying that no matter what feature-level the player chooses, it gets enabled! Of course, it's fine for DOOM64, but the two shouldn't mix :P

Texture filtering is controlled by gzdoom. It's actually disabled by default. You can disable it in gzdoom's texture menu. The only filter I added is if you load 3PointFilter.pk3, but you need to load that file manually and is intended for doom 64.

On 9/29/2023 at 7:40 AM, Kroc said:

I'd prefer to set the Faithful mode by default when invoking the WAD (via my launcher) but choosing Faithful mode always turns filtering on, even if it was off before :( Is there any INI / cmd setting I can include to default to "Faithful" mode, with texture filtering off?

Once you choose a defaults preset it should save all settings in the ini, you don't need to set it each time you launch the game. Resetting to a defaults preset doesn't touch any filtering cvar, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Thanks for the fixes.

Didn't find any regressions in the first few maps i played so far. Gonna do another a full playthrough at some point.

I could swear the Chaingun sound problem wasn't there before, I think it appeared in the last couple of versions of GZDoom; it's happening on regular Doom as well. 

Edited by NaliSeed

This last version (3.8.1) was great. It didn't have any new small regressions like most of the time i try a new version while also having the cool new additions like the new Archville model. It's the best version yet IMO and the best way to experience DOOM 64.

The inconsistent chaingun sound is the only slight annoyance but it's very minor.

is it just me or is the player hitbox bigger in this than in stock doom 64? i'm playing version 3.9.0.1 on steam deck and i've noticed that the triggers in watch your step activate even when you sidestep them. (i can't record video of this since i'm on steam deck)

7 minutes ago, Donowa said:

is it just me or is the player hitbox bigger in this than in stock doom 64? i'm playing version 3.9.0.1 on steam deck and i've noticed that the triggers in watch your step activate even when you sidestep them. (i can't record video of this since i'm on steam deck)

The triggers plates in Watch Your Step have always been just aesthetics.. you cant walk around them in the original game either.
Medea told me this annoyed her lol.

From 3.9.0:

This version replaces the Doom 64 main campaign maps with newly made conversions instead of the maps from Retribution

This sounds like a big change. Says the maps are more accurate but lack some quality of life changes. Any examples so we know what these were?

2 hours ago, TasAcri said:

From 3.9.0:

This sounds like a big change. Says the maps are more accurate but lack some quality of life changes. Any examples so we know what these were?

Well, I can tell you the megasphere in Hectic is gone. I finished the map and went to the next with literally a single health point and zero armor thanks to that; lol. 

Edited by NaliSeed

Hi, thanks for the mod. I have a problem. I seem to have lost the text with storyline that shows on the screen before actual gameplay. How do i get it back? Version is 3.9.1 full.

38 minutes ago, st0jan said:

Hi, thanks for the mod. I have a problem. I seem to have lost the text with storyline that shows on the screen before actual gameplay. How do i get it back? Version is 3.9.1 full.

I think there's an option to enable/disable that.