Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WARDUST

GZDoom config Blur filters vs crispy look

I have invested some time expoloring this options. i think it can be useful for someone
At first, playing with HD textures and xBRZ filters for sprites (and ugly models in the beginning! holy cow!)
Currently i love playing with close to 2x upscale textures and sprites 2x or normal scale, with all the pixels to not see blur everywhere, and enjoy a crispy look.

Here the main features:
HD textures and smooth sprites
Display options -> texture options ->
texture filter = Trilinear  | Anisotropic filter = 16x | Hight Quality resize mode = xBRZ
Pixel look (non blurry, crispy look)
Display options -> texture options ->
texture filter = None (optional, nereast mipmap)  | Anisotropic filter = 16x | Hight Quality resize mode = off

In the Hardware renderer, i always set
Multisamlpe = off
Render quality = quality
Fuzz Style = smooth fuzz

Also you can play with the chromatic aberration and of course, reduced resolution. And in my case, a sweetFx with some extra filter for glows, reflections and more defined sprite/textures (more crispy)
Feel free to put your own tricks!

Edited by WARDUST

7 minutes ago, WARDUST said:

Render quality = quality

Some mods will have major slowdown

1 hour ago, ax34 said:

Some mods will have major slowdown

mmm, now that you said... i will try that in the other direction. Thanks for the comment!

I like the HD settings and then I use ReShade on top to clean up the image a bit more and put in some bloom and glow to lights.

I use bloom, dyn lights (obviously), trilinear filter with NormalNx2 as the HQ resize mode, no multisample, rendering as quality and no AO (ambient occlusion).

On 12/11/2021 at 9:37 PM, WARDUST said:

texture filter = None (optional, nereast mipmap)  | Anisotropic filter = off | Hight Quality resize mode = off

These are not good settings because they introduce a lot of aliasing.

The only really useful ones are Trilinear for filtering on and "none (trilinear)" for filtering off. The latter gives you square pixels but still retains most of the benefits for reducing aliasing.

Switching anisotropic and multisampling off will also only introduce ugly artifacts, although with filtering fully disabled it probably does not matter much.

It may be worth thinking about removing the other filtering options - the full set made sense 15 years ago when there was a performance difference but these days what most users really want is filter on/off but otherwise use the best quality option