Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ixfd64

Doom.com.hr is shutting down on 7/9/2022

Last year, the owner of Doom.com.hr announced that it is going to shut down this July: https://doom.com.hr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=846

Doom.com.ar hosts what appears to be the only functional copy of the Compet-n database of speedruns. The original Compet-n website now gives a 403 error when you try to access the database: http://doom2.net/compet-n/index.cgi?action=database

I know Compet-n is a relic of the past and hasn't received any new submissions in years, but if this site disappears, then we may lose a piece of Doom history forever.

The speedrun community is aware, and I think it should be fine:

1. I have already double checked all of doom.com.hr is archived on archive.org, and it seems to be the case; I covered a few missing URLs earlier this year as well as some broken file browising views, but overall, it seems to be fully backed up. Notably, I saved a few error pages, the latest forum view, and some file browsing URLs that weren't directly linked from the website, as well as every CNDoom/CNLauncher port download I could find (the directory containing them is not publicly browsable). Perhaps someone more experienced with the archive.org process could confirm this, as far as I can tell I can only save each page individually, and it's possible to save outlinks, but when I did that I quickly exceeded request limit to the site. Also, all of the zips seem to be on there, but it's hard to confirm because clicking all of them would take too long manually.
  2. All Compet-N and Heretic-N demos are archived on DSDA as far as I know, other than the contests. Overall, Compet-N has quite a lot of visibility on it, and I imagine many people have their own archives of the demos as well.
  3. There's an existing GitHub archive of all the Compet-N and Heretic-N demos: https://github.com/atsb/srcdarchive.github.io. It's not clear if this GitHub page will actually accept demos, presumably not, given all the URLs are non-functional, but it should at least provide a convenient means to view all of the Compet-N and Heretic-N demos.

Overall, I think we should be pretty safe not to lose any history here. Of course, more eyes on this would be a good thing, so it's always a good thing if someone wants to volunteer to double check that archive.org actually has everything backed up and make sure there aren't any missed demos that aren't available anywhere other than the current doom.com.hr website, but I think it's unlikely, at least WRT the demos themselves.

There were submissions after October 2020 (not many, this is true), but @fx02 did not update them. I lost my password and there is one thing I would like to see: @Erick 's comment on Hegyi's rq06-816 :) Anyone has access?

Doom.com.hr came maybe too late, I don't know. Anyway, I appreciate all the effort, @fx02!

18 minutes ago, vdgg said:

There were submissions after October 2020 (not many, this is true), but @fx02 did not update them. I lost my password and there is one thing I would like to see: @Erick 's comment on Hegyi's rq06-816 :) Anyone has access?

Doom.com.hr came maybe too late, I don't know. Anyway, I appreciate all the effort, @fx02!

I got access, password reset still works. :D It isn't that exciting. :p

This demo is being shown as the newest record in the database after uploading my demo, weird.

I still make compet-n valid demos, but the site is not well maintained in my opinion, and there isn't much competition, so I just upload them here so they can go on DSDA.

Been (occasionally) in touch with fx via email since last Winter about this situation. His original plan was to move (and freeze) Compet-N to another domain he owns, but he was too busy with private stuff until now. He recently promised to sort things out however, or extend the doom.com.hr domain/hosting by a year to allow more migration time.

It's reassuring to know that backup on archive.org was already taken care of; that was my alternate suggestion to fx too. Then on the wiki, the competn* templates would only need to be prefixed with the archive.org path in order to retain working links there.

I have MySQL read-only access to the Compet-N database for the wiki scripts, and already used that to make a complete dump via a PHP library. But that would only be useful with the site scripts themselves. I suppose I could code a script that fetches every demo file from archive.org though, to verify completeness of that backup.

Btw, that wertercatt link is somewhat dangerous: it loads over 115(!) MB of data before choking my browser.