Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
magicsofa

'95 Never Dies CP [Full!]

5 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

If possibile, i have some ideas for E3M5, so i like to claim It.

Done,

That just leaves E1M9

I think I can try taking E1M9. Will be my first time working with ultimate doom rather than DOOM 2.

4 hours ago, Raith138 said:

I think I can try taking E1M9. Will be my first time working with ultimate doom rather than DOOM 2.

It is nice having those other Textures :)

8 hours ago, Raith138 said:

Yay, welcome to the past :P

In other news E4M9 was dropped as well so that's now open

5 hours ago, Raith138 said:

I literally have never played e3m9 or e4m9 before.

Dude. E3M9 pretty much the only good secret level in all of Doom I/II. Which, isn't saying much... but it is sort of required reading for a classic doomer :P

The beginning of e1m9 is iconic so I can't not use that as my inspired part. Also do you guys care about what enemies I am able to use?

Edited by Raith138

12 hours ago, Raith138 said:

The beginning of e1m9 is iconic so I can't not use that as my inspired part. Also do you guys care about what enemies I am able to use?

I would avoid any of the bosses including barons. But, if you want to spice it up with a few cacos or lost souls then that would be acceptable :P

Also, the inspiration doesn't have to be a discrete part of the level, nor does it have to be easily recognizable. Furthermore, to be inspired by a thing doesn't mean that you recreate it - it means that you create something new that is connected in some way to that thing. Just placing a same or similar structure into your map is an homage, which is not forbidden here but isn't the main focus. If that room is your inspiration, I want to see where that idea takes you, not just a starting room that makes everyone go "wow its E1M9".

I have the iconic cage at the start and the stairways leading down to different parts of the level but I also have added a few things for flavour.

woof0001.png

The textures aren't even the problem with using DOOM instead of DOOM 2 it is the enemies, there is almost none.

can i take e4m9 if possible ? the premise is quite interesting and i think i have some neat ideas for it and also ive never really done anything with only the doom 1 roster so id like to try my hand at that

On 8/20/2023 at 11:44 AM, signaturereverie said:

can i take e4m9 if possible ? the premise is quite interesting and i think i have some neat ideas for it and also ive never really done anything with only the doom 1 roster so id like to try my hand at that

Added

On 8/10/2023 at 5:11 PM, Raith138 said:

First draft of e1m9, it is pretty short and needs difficulties implemented but I want to make sure it is good first.

Download

It's a decent start. It is currently much shorter than the original map so there's plenty of room to add (hey, that's always better than having to cut!). It also suffers from Wolfenstein syndrome AKA having only 90 degree angles. 

- The first room is fine, although it is more easily controlled than the original which had some monsters that could wander in from the wings. Having all 3 locked doors in the starting room like this is super overplayed... and if you look at the IWADs this is not how they started levels. Not that you have to copy id style, just saying there could be more exploration instead of the same linear door sequence we've seen 10000 times.

- The nukage room was cool but overkill with the monsters for E1. Giving the player a rad suit just before an extremely short nukage section is also a bit silly. I would recommend taking the radsuit out completely and instead providing more catwalks for the player to dance on while fighting. With the guns I had, I felt the imp numbers would have to be cut in half for me to feel like downing all of them (I just ran to the next room and they can't even follow?). If I had found a rocket launcher previously in the map however, I might be smart and whip it out under the pressure...

- The maze was only not annoying because it was so short. But still, there is nothing interesting here. Again, it is silly to give the player exactly what they need right before they need it. It's pitch black area with light goggles directly at the entrance, which completely nullifies the darkness... essentially this could be a fullbright area instead and there would be no difference for the player. I would consider making this area more complex, removing the light goggles and instead putting in some nice sector lighting so that the player can navigate but there's still many dark patches in between. If you want to keep the light goggles, put them somewhere else like in a secret.

- The overall progression felt backwards. There was more action at the beginning than at the end. It was also very linear, even though the areas opened back up to the start room it didn't matter because you were done with that area anyway. Because this is a secret map, people are going to be "expecting the unexpected." In the original game this slot wasn't very notable overall, but the rocket launcher trap was the first teleport trap in the game and the only one that appears in all of E1. Virtually all of your players however will be accustomed to the usual teleport traps. Having something that the player isn't expecting would make the map a lot more special and really feel like a secret area rather than just another map.

Final small thing, some of the steps got tutti-frutti because of their Y offset. Crispy doom removes this bug so please test in Chocolate (or just remember that any texture that isn't 128 pixels tall is not allowed to tile vertically.)

I am really bad with using just doom 1 assets.

I don't think I can really improve it with how limited the ultimate doom resources are so I think I will drop it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

8 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

I am really bad with using just doom 1 assets.

I don't think I can really improve it with how limited the ultimate doom resources are so I think I will drop it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

No inconvenience, but I feel like you are imagining that Doom 1 is more limited than it is. I mean, you didn't even include the rocket launcher or chainsaw, which means you used fewer weapons than even the original map. Also, Doom 1 has the same exact map structure as Doom 2 (save for a few line actions) so as far as building the geometry it is basically identical. Anyway it is your decision whether to keep working on it or not, if you want some assistance I could make a few additions to the map to show you some of what I'm suggesting. I wasn't making all those points just to say "it's bad get out"... I think this could definitely become a great map with more work.

When it comes to geometry it is the same but there are so few enemies and textures to work with that I could not think of anything creative to do.

If you want you can make some changes to it.

Hello, I know I really dropped the ball on this project and I do apologize for that profusely. I've had a lot on my mind lately and a lot of family stuff had really weighed me down, not to get too personal on a doom community project page of all things.

I am now starting to get used to using UDB again after what feels like forever. I'll be looking into my map submission and seeing if I can tweak my map up to standard. I think the main thing was the fact enemies were stuck against each other and didn't have much room to maneuver? I'd hate to see my map be wasted, especially seeing how it's actually not too bad for a little speed map. I will try to get back to you guys shortly. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

1 hour ago, magicsofa said:

Very well, E1M9 is now open

May I know the deadline for this project? If all goes well, I might take E1M9.

19 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

May I know the deadline for this project? If all goes well, I might take E1M9.

Dec 10!

23 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

Dec 10!

Alright, count me in then.

11 hours ago, taufan99 said:

Alright, count me in then.

Added, and to continue this tradition of 1-in/1-out, E2M6 has been dropped 

13 hours ago, JustAthel said:

I am now starting to get used to using UDB again after what feels like forever. I'll be looking into my map submission and seeing if I can tweak my map up to standard. I think the main thing was the fact enemies were stuck against each other and didn't have much room to maneuver? I'd hate to see my map be wasted, especially seeing how it's actually not too bad for a little speed map. I will try to get back to you guys shortly. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

No problem, I don't know what would make you think your map would be wasted? The last notes I gave were basically cut down on barons and fix the stuck monsters. I am betting they were stuck because of difficulty flags, since they were placed exactly on top of each other. It was like you intended to have a different enemy there based on difficulty but forgot to uncheck Hard for one of them.

Also, I remember that in an earlier version there were imps/shotgunners shooting up from the two lowered pits with walkway around them/connecting them. But then in the latest version they were all hidden behind the wall... I liked it better with some of them in sight from the main part of the room. You could keep the ones behind the wall as ambushers and just add a few to the perimeter?

hello, I quite fancy giving e2m6 a go, though I feel I should check about what level of difficulty are you aiming for? similar to the IWAD slot, a bit or much harder?

(edit: actually, as I'm asking, are there any weapon/monster placement restrictions too - can't quite tell from the OP)

Edited by finnks13 : question

1 hour ago, magicsofa said:

No problem, I don't know what would make you think your map would be wasted? The last notes I gave were basically cut down on barons and fix the stuck monsters. I am betting they were stuck because of difficulty flags, since they were placed exactly on top of each other. It was like you intended to have a different enemy there based on difficulty but forgot to uncheck Hard for one of them.

Also, I remember that in an earlier version there were imps/shotgunners shooting up from the two lowered pits with walkway around them/connecting them. But then in the latest version they were all hidden behind the wall... I liked it better with some of them in sight from the main part of the room. You could keep the ones behind the wall as ambushers and just add a few to the perimeter?

Funnily enough, I DID actually fix the stuck enemies, it's just as you said - I forgot to uncheck some enemies from one skill level. I've also toned down some errors. By "wasted" I meant that I wouldn't want to NOT touch up my map and leave it in the state it's in when I know I'm capable of producing better. I will take that other suggestion of yours into consideration! I also feel like my map is currently a bit TOO close to Vanilla's E4M4 to my liking, so I'm also shifting around some combat scenarios / layouts to make it stand out a LITTLE bit more.