Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andrea Rovenski

[idgames]Chex Quest: The Penultimate Breakfast :: 40-map megawad for CHEX.WAD, Limit-Removing -complevel 3

N I C E ! ! !

I unironically love Chex Quest - the Doom total conversion, that is - and I am glad to see it getting some love, given the dearth of custom mapsets.

Keep them coming! Hopefully, once this is done, you will check Chex Quest 2 and 3 out as well and be inspired to make maps for them too. :)

1 hour ago, OliveTree said:

WELL. this is very unexpected. you can EXPECT a video playthrough from me

excited!

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

Keep them coming! Hopefully, once this is done, you will check Chex Quest 2 and 3 out as well and be inspired to make maps for them too. :)

We shall see where the inspiration takes me 🙏

Just gonna leave my message here to show my interest toward this mapset. More Chex Quest love is always good!

I'm not sure where the issue arises, but I noticed some odd compatibility issues with Chex.wad. Rockets did self splash damage, for instance, which in the original game I believe they were hard coded not to. Certain pressurized cans exploded like barrels, which they aren't supposed to. Flemoids could hurt each other and infight, something else I believe they were coded not to do. I'm sure these came from either 1) GZDoom? 2) my copy of chex.wad? or 3) my "setup" in some esoteric way causing some kind of issues

Episode 1 - Very cool Bazoik reimagining! I enjoyed the specific nods to memorable sequences, like the vine maze in the arboretum. There is some respectable work done with the limited Chex Quest textures. Shading skews somewhat dark in my opinion. Surprisingly challenging use of the flemoids. I particularly like the encounter around 11:30.

I liked the secret with the locker around 7:00. The interior being green and doing "slime" damage felt appropriate. The secret with the phasing zorcher under the big waterfall is also very cool.

IMO these maps could use some more set dressing to really make them feel like actual spaces. Chex Quest always weirdly felt more like a Build engine game in that respect, from my perspective. Also, at one point in the arboretum level (I think), some flemoids rise up from a pool of water. Surely this should be a pool of goo :P

The final boss encounter could use some tweaking imo. I can see how its kind of a reskin of the original final chamber. I thought it felt a bit un-dynamic. There's no real cover anywhere for instance. Personally I think the player should have more directive to go into the side-rooms and spawn all those fun extra monsters during the fight. On the topic of those side rooms, the doors extending up so high looks a tad silly imo. Also, these goo floors should really hurt the player. Maybe you could solve all three birds with one stone? ie, these are just side pockets in the cave, but they have valuable stone floors to escape from the goo from. That's just my blue sky suggestion :)

Will send my video of episode two when it finishes uploading :D

Something weird happened: in E1M5, I only got 187 kills out of 203. EDIT: Nevermind, I missed an optional area.

It is not a big problem, but in the room with bats on the ceiling, there appears to be invisible pillars that make navigation trickier than it should be.

Also, I am not sure, but I think the Episode 1 ending screen should say "Congratulations".

Edited by Rudolph

6 hours ago, OliveTree said:

I'm not sure where the issue arises, but I noticed some odd compatibility issues with Chex.wad. Rockets did self splash damage, for instance, which in the original game I believe they were hard coded not to. Certain pressurized cans exploded like barrels, which they aren't supposed to. Flemoids could hurt each other and infight, something else I believe they were coded not to do. I'm sure these came from either 1) GZDoom? 2) my copy of chex.wad? or 3) my "setup" in some esoteric way causing some kind of issues

These things you mention are actually part of the original, but were "fixed" for Chex Quest 3 according to doomwiki (I havent played it) https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Chex_Quest_weapons -- Also thank you for the reports! I don't agree with all the suggestions but I will change a few things :)

24 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Also, I am not sure, but I think the Episode 1 ending screen should say "Congratulations".

brave_BMIhMMI0d7.png.65468c71f2bceda4f6438bbfe9cefc17.png 

Edited by Andrea Rovenski

35 minutes ago, Andrea Rovenski said:

I am sorry to confuse you, but it's just a purposeful typo :P

Oh, I get it. You meant to reference those infamous NES ending screens, right? :P

Played through the first few maps episode whole thing in dsda and it's been fantastic so far!

Getting up the waterfall in e1m4 to get the red key did take me a minute to figure out for some reason (and I figured it out by accident), but everything else has been pleasantly intuitive, and the action ramps up nicely. The only issues I found are two slime trails, no pun intended. One minor one in the first area of e1m3 on linedef 153, and a larger one in the last main area of e1m5 on linedef 635. And lastly in e2m1 the sector in the slime tunnel with the switch that lowers the wall forward has a rock flat but still has a damaging floor.

Edited by Lippeth

Weirdly enough, there is no music in Episode 2 and E2M1's exit returns me to the main menu rather than load E2M2.

I am playing with GZDoom. Could that be the reason?

Edited by Rudolph

Yeah, it appears GZDoom, for some reason, fucks with chex.wad and has extra restrictions on it, which means this wad will probably not be compatible with it unless someone wants to help me fix it, because frankly it's not my area of expertise to debug in exotic source ports :D

Could probably be worth asking the source port developer why chex.wad has these limitations?

edit: 

2 hours ago, Lippeth said:

Played through the first few maps episode in dsda and it's been fantastic so far!

thank you btw! Will look at the reports and see if its cool or not :)

23 hours ago, Andrea Rovenski said:

I actually played Chex Quest for the first time last week and felt inspired enough to start a new project, so here we are.

Wow, as someone who got the actual CD from a cereal box in the good old days, THIS IS GRATE

Really great stuff so far! Looking forward to the two episodes after this. I hope to make a Chex project of my own in the future.

20 hours ago, Andrea Rovenski said:

Could probably be worth asking the source port developer why chex.wad has these limitations?

Even though I use GZDoom, I am actually not very familiar with its development team nor do I have an account on ZDoom.

I might try doing the latter eventually, but for the time being, I went ahead and asked in Doomworld's Editing sub-forum.

Here is the link to my thread in case you want to stay up to date.

I've finished the two episodes recently. It's pretty interesting to see to make use of Chex Quest wads nowadays.

Also in E1M2, the three Flemoids are stuck each other after activating the red key switch.

Spoiler

doom00.png.2e37ed024d4b3fe5b6a557e7bd365259.png

6 hours ago, S3M_XM said:

Also in E1M2, the three Flemoids are stuck each other after activating the red key switch.

Hide contents

doom00.png.2e37ed024d4b3fe5b6a557e7bd365259.png

be nice, they're trying their best :) thank you!

9 hours ago, Argent Agent said:

Really great stuff so far! Looking forward to the two episodes after this. I hope to make a Chex project of my own in the future.

Thanks!

Okay, I think I almost figured out how to get Episode 2 to run on GZDoom.

I copy-pasted ChexQuest3.wad's MAPINFO file into CHEXTPB.WAD and both the music and level transitions are working properly!

However, some issues remain: the episode and level names as well as the intermission texts are incorrect - vanilla Doom content is used instead.

If anyone wants to take a look at the modified MAPINFO and help me figure out the remaining issues, here it is:

Spoiler

clearepisodes

episode E1M1
name "A NEW CHEX QUEST"
picname EPPIC01

episode E2M1
name "JOURNEY TO PLANET BAZOIL"
picname EPPIC02

episode E3M1
name "CHEX LABS INC."
picname EPPIC03

map E1M1 "Landing Zone B-6"
levelnum 1
titlepatch WILV00
next E1M2
secretnext E1M9
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 1
par 110
noinfighting
sucktime 1
music D_E1M1

map E1M2 "Chex Warehouse"
levelnum 2
titlepatch WILV01
next E1M3
secretnext E1M9
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 1
par 180
noinfighting
sucktime 1
music D_E1M2

map E1M3 "Chex Testing Labs"
levelnum 3
titlepatch WILV02
next E1M4
secretnext E1M9
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 1
par 200
noinfighting
sucktime 1
music D_E1M3

map E1M4 "Hydroponics"
levelnum 4
titlepatch WILV03
next E1M5
secretnext E1M9
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 1
par 240
noinfighting
sucktime 1
music D_E1M4

map E1M5 "The Hidden Caverns"
levelnum 5
titlepatch WILV04
//next E1M6
next EndGame1
secretnext E1M9
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 1
par 300
//moving end sequence
nointermission
nosoundclipping
noinfighting
//baronspecial
specialaction_lowerfloor
//moving end sequence
sucktime 1
music D_E1M5

// Registered/Retail Episode 2

map E2M1 "Landing On Bazoik"
levelnum 11
titlepatch INTER21
next E2M2
secretnext E2M9
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 2
par 240
noinfighting
sucktime 1
music D_E2M1

map E2M2 "Oasis"
levelnum 12
titlepatch WILV11
next E2M3
secretnext E2M9
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 2
par 200
noinfighting
sucktime 1
music D_E2M2

map E2M3 "The Slime Pits"
levelnum 13
titlepatch WILV12
next E2M4
secretnext E2M9
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 2
par 240
noinfighting
sucktime 1
music D_E2M3

map E2M4 "Barrens O' Bazoik"
levelnum 14
titlepatch WILV13
next E2M5
secretnext E2M9
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 2
par 360
noinfighting
sucktime 1
music D_E2M4

map E2M5 "Big Baddy On Bazoik"
levelnum 15
titlepatch WILV14
//next E2M6
next EndGame2
secretnext E2M9
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 2
par 340
// moving end sequence
nointermission
nosoundclipping
noinfighting
cyberdemonspecial
//specialaction_exitlevel
// moving end sequence
sucktime 1
music D_E2M5

UPDATE

Spoiler

Episode 1: balance change
Episode 2: more secrets added to each map, edited umapinfo stuff to potentially fix issue with gzdoom? (someone tell me, I didnt test it)

Added Episode 3

EPPIC03.PNG.daa028f7dd93bcd11b3f7ccdbc916936.PNG

Explore the top-secret laboratory hidden away in the far corner of the Planet Bazoik. What were those Chex Scientists really up to?

dsda-doom_WodlQE0N1c.png.3957e47b58736453fffe18645d5060bb.png

let me know how it goes :)

giphy.gif

EDIT: What do you know, I renamed "EPPIC03" to a different name and now the episode's title is properly displayed in the episode selection menu. Huh...

The only remaining issue is the third episode's title does not display properly: all I can see is a "T". I tried replacing EPPIC03 with EPPIC02 and it displays the title of Episode 2 properly, so the problem seems to be related to "EPPIC03", somehow.

Still, thank you! Even when it comes to GZDoom, you are much better at this than me... :P

Edited by Rudolph

I'll take a look at the episode stuff later, but for some reason GZDoom places a shitload of restrictions to chex.wad that I had to find out how to undo with umapinfo. No idea why, but I'm glad it works!

Alrighty! I just finished Episode 3.

In E3M2, in the southmost room, there are two blocks that I cannot figure out how to lower, the first one with a backpack and the other an armor.

In E3M4, I can open the exit room door despite not having acquired the Yellow Key yet.

Keep up the good work!