Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EPICALLL

[Community Project] VANITY

28 minutes ago, NecrumWarrior said:

I've spent a little bit of time on my map now. I am calling it "Time Twister" currently. I've started with the obvious set piece, the time machine. It has a lot of work yet to be done. I want it to break down in stages and have more monsters teleport in at the broken areas. For now I have this.

Hide contents

doom24.png.e49a10e640bac82b1b11f81ef8c03ce9.png

doom25.png.c07451616a8a3d393bb3d3d0d921334d.png

Gahdayum!

On 9/22/2023 at 5:50 AM, wumbo said:

wait thats a great idea

and the @eater29 could simply make a hole in the ceiling where the player came from

WAIT THATS A GREAT IDEA

sounds like a plan!

what sky do you plan to use?

Hello there. Here comes the pre-alpha for my map (slot 3). Enjoy ! 

Author(s): Proxy-MIDI (me).
Difficulty Settings: 50 Monsters on Easy. 80 on Medium. And 103 on Hard.
Map Name: Bipolar Storage.
MIDI Used: Sonic Adventure 2 OST - Soarin' Over the Space (cover by ???).
Description: A base made in blue and red to show the confusion of the mapper actually ( :P ). The colors are pretty dark too for making antithesis with the next map. 
Author's Comments: Some ways are a bit hard. But I succeed to trespass these whereas I'm a dick on Doom. So Git Gud if you're stuck. To avoid the player to make 10000 laps of the map, I stuck some ways that are useless after being crossed by. 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2vqaicz5zvknbx5/MAP03.zip/file

Edited by Proxy-MIDI : Add some information.

8 hours ago, eater29 said:

sounds like a plan!

what sky do you plan to use?

Right now, I'm simply using a black sky with a bunch of red stars everywhere. If you know how to have different skyboxes in the same level, then I'll send you the graphic because I'm pretty sure I'll make the portal room a huge crater in the ground with the sky above.

5 hours ago, Proxy-MIDI said:

Description: A base made in blue and red to show the confusion of the mapper actually ( :P ). The colors are pretty dark too for making antithesis with the next map. 
Author's Comments: Some ways are a bit hard. But I succeed to trespass these whereas I'm a dick on Doom. So Git Gud if you're stuck. To avoid the player to make 10000 laps of the map, I stuck some ways that are useless after being crossed by. 

OK, no offense to you... But in the current state this map is in, there is no way I am accepting this.
I'm playing on UV, here.

Let's start off with the stuff that disallows me from accepting it no matter the quality of the product you put out.
1. Visual glitches, there are several sections (the room with the radsuit and the blood floor comes to mind) where the visuals of the map look broken. You can just straight up teleport to the top of the room by walking over that triangular formation in the middle.
2. The theme of the map, I don't know what part of a space station is deliberately made out of rock, but it's certainly not this one. If it was made clear that it was located on a meteorite, that's fine... However, as it stands... The instructions I gave for visual themes are hardly followed at all here, seriously, where's the vrack in any of this?
3. Forcing the player to run over damaging floor, I don't need to explain to you why this is a problem, right?

And then the stuff I would strongly recommend that you change...
1. The falling floor trap. I get that it's supposed to be a trap of sorts, but a trap where the player has quite literally zero way of escaping is just cruel.
2. The double revenant trap in the blue corridor is mean, the revenants are too close initially for rockets to be viable, and the weapons that you are given (outside of secrets) aren't enough to kill them before they kill you. In other words, it's cheap if you don't survive, and annoying if you do.
3. The cyberdemon encounter in that red room with the platforms is just... NO! The player has quite literally no method to surviving this room. You either lure the rockets into 1x1MU pillars, or get blasted while moving from platform to platform due to the walls being like 3 feet away at any given moment.
4. The texture alignment in some places is really off. On top of this map already not looking the best, there's also just the fact that the visuals are half-broken in their own right.
5. The exit lacks some continuity. I suggest that you make the exit room the exact same room as the starting room of the next map, and have it be a "walk over" linedef that exits the map, so that way it bleeds into the next map far better.

You said this map was in "pre-alpha," so I hope that by the time this map is fully finished, I will actually be able to accept it. Best to you, and I hope you have a great evening!

13 hours ago, Proxy-MIDI said:

Definitely pre-alpha, but I'm picking up what you're putting down here. I like the small bit of parkour in the slime room and the megasphere secret felt nice to stumble upon. The chaingunner ambush got me good.

The color game is on point but some more detailing would be nice. The regular door at the start could be better telegraphed.

There are a couple errors to note (besides visual bugs):

First, you appear to be using switch line specials (S1/SR) for your doors. These don't work unless you specify a line and sector tag, though you should be using door specials (D1/DR) for doors. If you test in GZDoom, the engine will fix this on the fly and make the doors function as normal (even on strict compat). Be sure to give your map a once-over in prBoom or similar to make sure all the triggers work.

Second, I noticed you can get stuck behind the starting area's crate container (pictured below):

doom00.png.e7e5cf450243a1071a9579307bacc0f4.png

PS: The midi choice be rockin'

5 hours ago, Proxy-MIDI said:

Okay then. So I prefer to leave my slot to another one. This will be better. 

What exactly do you mean by that? I'm not entirely clear.

I'm gonna drop my map slot because I have to deal with some IRL stuff and have also decided to start preparing for a big project.

13 minutes ago, Axuris said:

I'm gonna drop my map slot because I have to deal with some IRL stuff and have also decided to start preparing for a big project.

Aight, good luck to you!

3 hours ago, EPICALLL said:

What exactly do you mean by that? I'm not entirely clear.

I quit. I'll release my map as a Doom II new map. Simply. 

4 minutes ago, Proxy-MIDI said:

I quit. I'll release my map as a Doom II new map. Simply. 

Alright, then! Good luck on whatever future endeavours you choose to pursue.

1 hour ago, EPICALLL said:

Alright, then! Good luck on whatever future endeavours you choose to pursue.

Hmmmm... Making another OST for a project. :P

29 minutes ago, Proxy-MIDI said:

Hmmmm... Making another OST for a project. :P

Cool, I'll be keeping an eye on that, maybe, probably.

On 9/23/2023 at 2:33 PM, EPICALLL said:

3. Forcing the player to run over damaging floor, I don't need to explain to you why this is a problem, right?

As a project leader, you actually do need to explain things like this. This line confuses me for two reasons, both because I actually love and encourage damaging floor usage, but also because I could not find any instance of this being present in the map? The one room which requires walking on it immediately gifted a suit to the player to prevent any damage.

Some of your points are pretty reasonable (the visuals are on the rough side and could use some work, and an inescapable pit that isn't communicated to the player until they are in it can perhaps be in poor taste) but others are more questionable. The themes in the OP for the most part don't feel too well-defined and can potentially be interpreted in a multitude of ways. Preparing example maps before the project goes live to give people a rough idea of what a theme should look like would help. The cyberdemon room is an interesting idea and not nearly as tight as you made it out to be, but the presence of the switches to lower platforms confuses me, as they only seem to hinder the player. Additionally, you neglected to mention the map's more pressing problems. It's generally good practice to put a switch near what it controls, which this map fails to do on more than one occasion. This results in some confused searching of the map until progression is found. The yellow key is also picked up right before an unmarked yellow key door, right after pressing a switch with yellow key markers. It's a strange sequence. Also, in what I assume to be the intended port (DSDA-Doom -complevel 9), I had to change multiple compatibility settings in order to play through the map. Please ensure that both you and your mappers are testing properly.

If you want to lead a project, which is a fair bit harder than it seems, you're going to have to improve your feedback and the way in which you deliver it. Otherwise, you're going to drive people away. It's unfortunately already happened in this thread.

4 hours ago, AD_79 said:

As a project leader, you actually do need to explain things like this. This line confuses me for two reasons, both because I actually love and encourage damaging floor usage, but also because I could not find any instance of this being present in the map? The one room which requires walking on it immediately gifted a suit to the player to prevent any damage.

Some of your points are pretty reasonable (the visuals are on the rough side and could use some work, and an inescapable pit that isn't communicated to the player until they are in it can perhaps be in poor taste) but others are more questionable. The themes in the OP for the most part don't feel too well-defined and can potentially be interpreted in a multitude of ways. Preparing example maps before the project goes live to give people a rough idea of what a theme should look like would help. The cyberdemon room is an interesting idea and not nearly as tight as you made it out to be, but the presence of the switches to lower platforms confuses me, as they only seem to hinder the player. Additionally, you neglected to mention the map's more pressing problems. It's generally good practice to put a switch near what it controls, which this map fails to do on more than one occasion. This results in some confused searching of the map until progression is found. The yellow key is also picked up right before an unmarked yellow key door, right after pressing a switch with yellow key markers. It's a strange sequence. Also, in what I assume to be the intended port (DSDA-Doom -complevel 9), I had to change multiple compatibility settings in order to play through the map. Please ensure that both you and your mappers are testing properly.

If you want to lead a project, which is a fair bit harder than it seems, you're going to have to improve your feedback and the way in which you deliver it. Otherwise, you're going to drive people away. It's unfortunately already happened in this thread.

I don't know why, I'll only say one thing about this, because I do agree with the whole rest of this statement... I've never really had a problem with switches being far away from the things they control, I really don't know why it is, maybe because I have a near telepathic ability of knowing when something will or will not change at some point throughout the map, regardless of the level of indication.

Anyways, wise words. :)

Hello all! 

Its been a while since my first update so I thought I'd share with you what I've done so far. 

I reckon I'm about halfway through the map. So far it seems to be coming out okay. Let me know what you think! Feedback is welcome :)  

22.1.jpg

22.2.jpg

22.3.jpg

22.4.jpg

22.5.jpg

22.6.jpg

22.7.jpg

4 hours ago, dmh094 said:

Hello all! 

Its been a while since my first update so I thought I'd share with you what I've done so far. 

I reckon I'm about halfway through the map. So far it seems to be coming out okay. Let me know what you think! Feedback is welcome :)  

22.1.jpg

22.2.jpg

22.3.jpg

22.4.jpg

22.5.jpg

22.6.jpg

22.7.jpg

Definitely unique from the rest of what I've seen. Abstract designs are the bread and butter of some maps, which I think is what's being attempted here.

Keep it up, I like it!

3 hours ago, EPICALLL said:

Definitely unique from the rest of what I've seen. Abstract designs are the bread and butter of some maps, which I think is what's being attempted here.

Keep it up, I like it!

Definitely what I’m trying to do. Thinking outside the box a bit for this one 😁 nothing too out there, but just enough! Glad you like it :) 

On 9/10/2023 at 5:08 PM, SMG_Man said:

@Doomy__Doom hope I'm not bugging you in asking this, but do you have a visual theme in mind for your map (32)? Based on the texture pack we have and the project specifications, it would be pretty easy to do either an Egypt or snow-themed map for the secret level slots without importing more resources, so I figured I might do one of those for mine (31).

I wanted to put a segment in Egypt for time jumping in my level so maybe we can do a secret exit out of MAP10 into that if you are doing an Egypt themed level. idk if there are any plans for what map would have a secret exit. @EPICALLL?

44 minutes ago, NecrumWarrior said:

I wanted to put a segment in Egypt for time jumping in my level so maybe we can do a secret exit out of MAP10 into that if you are doing an Egypt themed level. idk if there are any plans for what map would have a secret exit. @EPICALLL?

if you can both agree to it, then sure. However, under one condition; you must be willing to assemble the dehacked and umapinfo nonsense that requires yourself, as I personally don't know much about that kind of stuff, and I can't be bothered to learn it.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to drop out from this project. I've had a lot of neat ideas for building a Boom map, but work's been rather stressful lately and I just have not had the time to actually put any of them together into a coherent map. Sorry for the inconvenience, and best of luck.

4 minutes ago, SMG_Man said:

I'm sorry, but I'm going to drop out from this project. I've had a lot of neat ideas for building a Boom map, but work's been rather stressful lately and I just have not had the time to actually put any of them together into a coherent map. Sorry for the inconvenience, and best of luck.

Hope everything turns out OK, best of luck to you!

I won't worry about secret exit out of my level. My level has enough going on already.

The Time Twister itself is pretty much done. I just have to fill in the beginning and the time jumps. Whatever MAP11 starts with should be easy to add to my map's ending.

doom36.png.1434849cba8c04039e6e946a49553d5f.png

7 hours ago, raddicted said:

ill take map31

you got it.

6 hours ago, NecrumWarrior said:

I won't worry about secret exit out of my level. My level has enough going on already.

The Time Twister itself is pretty much done. I just have to fill in the beginning and the time jumps. Whatever MAP11 starts with should be easy to add to my map's ending.

Reveal hidden contents

doom36.png.1434849cba8c04039e6e946a49553d5f.png

sounds pretty cool, looking forward to seeing how it'll turn out.

15 minutes ago, dmh094 said:

Untitled.jpg.a31b0f9fff9a9de6b1b9f9eaade3d043.jpgAlmost there boys. The last stand approaches...

Looking forward to playing it!

Alright Everybody here it is! map 22 for Vanity! I hope you all enjoy! 

Author: Daniel M. Hill (dmh094)
Difficulty Settings: ITYTD - UV
Map Name: Damnation
MIDI Used: "Untitled" by "wumbo"

Initial Build Time: 16th September 2023 - 1st October 2023
Description: Set in the decayed, rocky remains of what is left after episode 4, map 22 sees the player making their way around what is left of an ancient castle, a place of the ancient times. This volcanic nightmare will test your strength and fight as a player against the hordes of demons before you, wondering what once stood upon these ruins, and what can stand again if your mission is victorious...
Author's Comments: Single player is completed. I haven't implemented co op or deathmatch as of yet, as I am waiting on the end of the previous map in order to make a proper first part. But for now, this is the best I can do. I hope you find the map a good experience to play through.

Also, waiting on a new version for the music from wumbo. 

EDIT: v1.1

- Added shotgun ammo, health and a barrel to opening area. 

EDIT: v2.0

- Quality of life additions (Better visual aid on where to go etc)

- Changed final secret to computer map.

- Added rad suit to underground lava area. 

- Removed 2nd cyberdemon encounter from the cave battle near the end of the map.

- Added and changed enemies in cave battle for variety of combat.

- Ending chaingunners switched out for baron and revenant. 

EDIT v.3.0

- A new yellow skull key path has been created.

- Armor and ammo added throughout to give a player an easier time.

- Monsters switched around and added throughout.

- Stairs in opening area widened.

- Opening area secret has had its armor switched out for invisibility. 

- Sector with the soulsphere has had its secret status removed.

- Berserk pack added to underground lava area.

EDIT v.3.1

- Altered quality of life additions to blend in better.

EDIT v3.2

- Changed chaingun pickup location

- Shorted brick rail in opening area for easier platforming. 

- Fixed missing texture in entrance to underground lava area. 

- Fixed lowering end bars issue.

EDIT v3.3

Added entry and exit portals for continuity between map 21 and map 23      

Vanity - MAP22 - Damnation (v3.3) (dmh094).zip

Edited by dmh094