Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

[MBF21 Community project] Paint-It Doom. Get creative with simple colors... again! But now with Ancient Aliens palette [Unlimited slots!] [Deadline is May 1st]

15 minutes ago, DRON12261 said:

And I'd like to take MAP01

I don't plan on having specific map slots, do you have any ideas that would specifically a good fit for the opening map?

It might make sense to do something specific as the opening, but I don't have any particular ideas at the moment.

4 hours ago, DRON12261 said:

A little teaser of the map, some of which I managed to make tonight. And I'd like to take MAP01, or MAP02 if you take MAP01, @ViolentBeetle.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

That looks freaking amazing.

I can't make something that good even with textures.

8 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I don't plan on having specific map slots, do you have any ideas that would specifically a good fit for the opening map?

It might make sense to do something specific as the opening, but I don't have any particular ideas at the moment.

At least what was on the gif, it will be literally the first thing the player will see when starting Paint-It-Doom) And I want to play out the whole level with such animations and play with the lighting, so that it is a thin thread running throughout the level, not one single background.

Spoiler

Overall the map won't be very long, it will be divided into 5 smaller arenas, separated by design and gameplay. The first mini arena will be with shotgun and chaingun on the very spawn. Next will be a hub where you need to collect 3 keys, each key will be in its own arena. Each of the three arenas will use in its palette colors corresponding to the key, as well as in each arena the player will get a new weapon. Blue key - blue arena with plasmagun. Red key - red arena with rocket launcher. Yellow key - yellow arena with ssg. After collecting all the keys, will open the way to the last arena, decorated in green colors (and default clean blue ske with white clouds) and where there will be bfg. I want to make a relatively meaty map, but I'm not going to make it complicated. UV will require some effort and maneuverability to get punched in the face less, but nothing more than that. 

In general, I just want to demonstrate how it is possible to successfully (hopefully, heh) match colors to the situation to emphasize something, and how it is possible to create without textures, playing only with colors and their contrast, as well as contrasting animation of lighting. Well, and of course a few various arenas. All in all, this should hook the player (considering how this gif blasted on doomworld, which was actually a bit of a surprise to me).

2 hours ago, DRON12261 said:

At least what was on the gif, it will be literally the first thing the player will see when starting Paint-It-Doom) And I want to play out the whole level with such animations and play with the lighting, so that it is a thin thread running throughout the level, not one single background.

Reveal hidden contents

Overall the map won't be very long, it will be divided into 5 smaller arenas, separated by design and gameplay. The first mini arena will be with shotgun and chaingun on the very spawn. Next will be a hub where you need to collect 3 keys, each key will be in its own arena. Each of the three arenas will use in its palette colors corresponding to the key, as well as in each arena the player will get a new weapon. Blue key - blue arena with plasmagun. Red key - red arena with rocket launcher. Yellow key - yellow arena with ssg. After collecting all the keys, will open the way to the last arena, decorated in green colors (and default clean blue ske with white clouds) and where there will be bfg. I want to make a relatively meaty map, but I'm not going to make it complicated. UV will require some effort and maneuverability to get punched in the face less, but nothing more than that. 

In general, I just want to demonstrate how it is possible to successfully (hopefully, heh) match colors to the situation to emphasize something, and how it is possible to create without textures, playing only with colors and their contrast, as well as contrasting animation of lighting. Well, and of course a few various arenas. All in all, this should hook the player (considering how this gif blasted on doomworld, which was actually a bit of a surprise to me).

Yeah, sounds like a good idea.

Map Name: Snow Zone!
Author: Heich AKA DynamiteKaitorn
Music: Snowball Mountain - Ape Escape 2

Screenshots:

Spoiler

woof0005.png.ffd6140a221d256f6ad40de1e0a0258a.png

Spawn room

woof0006.png.6793fd2e18f7ab413e1f73bf74dd06d0.png

Those pesky imps.

woof0007.png.9e88e0db9ea6d6cf09f4c6e18cb1c1e0.png

Brrrr! I need a jumper! :S

woof0008.png.308e9f9e1ac3e4684817bb03b4a482b4.png

A big ol' gap... but the way is blocked?

SnowZone v1.0.1.zip

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn : Trust me to forget the bloody midi... >_>

8 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Music: Snowball Mountain - Ape Escape 2

You seem to have forgotten the actual music.

I think the only complaint I have is that button that opens the bars isn't very intuitive. But consudering how small map is, I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. I instantly thought to check the bars.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

@DynamiteKaitorn

I also feel, after some thought that maybe the map is a little too easy to fit the difficulty curve I'm expecting. Maybe spicing the encounters with a couple of larger monsters, like revenants and cacnodemons would do it good?

12 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Okay.

VERSION 1.1:

. Changed a few enemies to be hell knights

+ Added a baron of hell, cacodemon and pain elemental

. re-balanced ammo + health a bit to compensate for the tankier enemies

Snow Zone v1.1.zip

That seems more like it, although the first two knights don't seem to contribute much to the game, as the best tactics is to just leave - and fighting them is not very appealing. Maybe if you replace them with cacos, they'd catch up with the doomguy later.

Also translucent texture doesn't seem to do a very good job hiding the secret.

Also maybe add some health behind red door? The map is a little tight on health for all the hitscan that sits in this particular room.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

Would it be alright if I used a non-MIDI music track? (MBF21 supports .ogg files) 

I feel some people might not consider it fitting

4 minutes ago, Gothic Box said:

Would it be alright if I used a non-MIDI music track? (MBF21 supports .ogg files) 

I feel some people might not consider it fitting

I would prefer MIDI, plus I believe Idgames frowns on copyrighted non-midi track and I'd like to upload it there.

Just now, stonedbaroness said:

I'd like a slot !

There's no need to pre-emptively claim anything, just make a map and submit, we aren't limited by 30 maps.

Map Name: Swollen Bliss
Author: stonedbaroness
Music: Duke Nukem 3D OST - In Hiding 

swollenbliss-paint it.zip

Notes:

• Corresponding difficulty settings
  • Co-op spawns

Feedback appreciated!

Some screenshots..

1550472859_swollenbliss(editarea)at2023_09.0711-58-04.528R4094.jpg.d59bc2d2c4c5bc7a7d73ae2c2c573fb3.jpg

333737247_swollenbliss(editarea)at2023_09.0711-58-31.556R4094.jpg.97f1ebdf7267bd5a3ceb363494d3673f.jpg

19179961_swollenbliss(editarea)at2023_09.0711-59-02.374R4094.jpg.9267dd7aec60364fa6f42ee3aaeba227.jpg

(I set the sky w/ UMAPINFO, so I promise it wont be this displayed one !)

1335820354_swollenbliss(editarea)at2023_09.0711-59-20.480R4094.jpg.a224c1f6e27d5245062541827ba57efe.jpg

Edited by stonedbaroness : Fixing notes

32 minutes ago, stonedbaroness said:

Map Name: Swollen Bliss
Author: stonedbaroness
Music: Duke Nukem 3D OST - In Hiding

Interesting map, although difficulty seems uneven. The middle fight has cyberdemon and is cramped, while the last fight is just a few cacodemons and imps in wide open area. Perhaps that one should be buffed a bit? One idea: ditch or significantly reduce one side of the white space, make the other into a climb back to the orange area after pressing the switch - and release some monsters both inside the building and outside. Connect it as well as unleash some monsters in different places.

Also, for all aspiring mappers, I may have expressed myself unclearly. When I said I don't want "slaughter" I meant an extreme variant with hundreds of monsters at once, mass consumption of powerups etc.

(But easy maps are fine too if they are interesting)

35 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Interesting map, although difficulty seems uneven. The middle fight has cyberdemon and is cramped, while the last fight is just a few cacodemons and imps in wide open area. Perhaps that one should be buffed a bit? One idea: ditch or significantly reduce one side of the white space, make the other into a climb back to the orange area after pressing the switch - and release some monsters both inside the building and outside. Connect it as well as unleash some monsters in different places.

When you say uneven, do you mean the settings (HMP vs UV etc.?) or just the difficulty across the map as a whole? I'm assuming the latter. I am more than likely going to edit the other side, as of now there's a teleporter that leads to a secret, but that's about it.

1 minute ago, stonedbaroness said:

When you say uneven, do you mean the settings (HMP vs UV etc.?) or just the difficulty across the map as a whole? I'm assuming the latter. I am more than likely going to edit the other side, as of now there's a teleporter that leads to a secret, but that's about it.

Yeah, I meant difficulty drops at the final fight which I feel makes the ending unsatisfying.

Swollen Bliss - Version 1.1

Changes made:

• Removed cramped Cyberdemon fight, replacing w/ 2 mancubi
  • Added more ammo pickups
  • Added more armor/health bonus pickups
  • Removed a few of the overabundant health packs
  • Large outdoor area has a lot more going on, including the Cyberdemon with UMAPINFO boss action function
  • Added secrets
  • Removed teleporters, opting for hallway/stairs approach to bridging large and middle areas

What still needs to be done:

• Adjusting difficulty settings for enemies in the large area

Overall it feels more complete with some of the changes you suggested!

swollenbliss-v1.1.zip

Really reminds of some maps from quake 3 included in the pro mode arena mod. Might have to have a crack of this juts based off that alone :D

On 8/31/2023 at 4:03 PM, DRON12261 said:

A little teaser of the map, some of which I managed to make tonight. And I'd like to take MAP01, or MAP02 if you take MAP01, @ViolentBeetle.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

YOOOOO some edm lightshow shiz goin on right here