Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTS108

10 LINE GENOCIDE: The Biggest Smallest Community Project Ever [Boom, UMAPINFO, DSDA-Doom recommended, RC2.1]

7 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

With the visual glitches - it's not surprising that a lot of people made intentional decision to add these visual fuck ups on purpose, I mean - the 10 line limit basically encouraged a lot of abstract ideas. If there are any visual glitches that you think might be unintentional - you should probably ask the original map author about their intentions with the map!

I believe they are nodebuilder issues and thus unintentional, but I could be wrong (indeed Nights has already fixed one of them since I recorded that vid)

4 hours ago, Horus said:

- Cramped Cargo has a long wait time for the lift to descend, maybe it could be reduced a bit

Thanks, I'll look into it later. When I originally built the map, I sought out making a true Romero lift, but because of the limitations I had to work with what I had. To be honest, if I reduce the lift depth it won't be any more than half the original depth. After watching your video and @NiGHTS108 saved stream on Twitch I did notice that there was a little bit of a personal issue on how long it took to lower. I also saw that my revenant was also well implemented because it punched you in the back and killed you twice. That is just what I anticipated, and it left me with a grin on my face. Also, during @Napsalm's Twitch stream someone mentioned that D_RUNNIN was a great choice for that map, which was great for me to hear. Maybe someday I will make a video compilation of everyone's playthroughs of my maps. Thanks for your honest feedback I appreciate it.

Also @NiGHTS108 I think it would be great to replace the standard widescreen brick HUD texture with a basic black one. This would look better with the custom HUD graphic and make the colors more consistent in the HUD's bar. I've noticed that some people don't choose to stretch their status bars.

Edited by Halfblind

18 hours ago, Napsalm said:

It's definitely gonna be helpful if all the mappers involve check that their map is functioning the way it should!

have checked my brother's maps and mine in [dsda-doom-0.26.2] and in [gzdoom 4.10] in all difficulty levels (easy, medium, hard). all working as intended:

• e2m10: blue moonlight. difficulty levels=all.
  • e3m19: green sarnie. difficulty levels=easy, hard.
  • e4m45: klutzy kite. difficulty levels=all (geometric progression).

tq :)

Nice to see this emerge at last! It was a fun little speedmapping exercise, and the kind of thing I should probably do more of. I kind of wish I'd done more than one map now, heh. Congrats on the release!

@NiGHTS108 can we add quirks to improve our segments or is it already too late for that? i was planning on changing a bit of sinister face of the UAC so it's a bit more harder

6 hours ago, Horus said:

- It's a shame that none of the maps have the mappers named on the intermission/starting screen, so I never knew who made each map. I definitely think this should be added for the final release

I would really like to make title patches for all 230 maps, and I actually do have patches for all of E1, but unfortunately it's not the highest priority for me right now.

5 hours ago, Horus said:

- Punch Drunk, Drunk Punch and Craters of the Moon National Monument seemed to have screwy visuals which I don't think were intended

I believe they are nodebuilder issues and thus unintentional, but I could be wrong (indeed Nights has already fixed one of them since I recorded that vid)

I think the one with Craters wasn't intentional, but given the other is called "Punch Drunk, Drunk Punch" I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

1 hour ago, Halfblind said:

Also @NiGHTS108 I think it would be great to replace the standard widescreen brick HUD texture with a basic black one. This would look better with the custom HUD graphic and make the colors more consistent in the HUD's bar. I've noticed that some people don't choose to stretch their status bars.

Good idea, actually, and I think it's something I might be able to do with a Deh patch.

26 minutes ago, scientifikgenius said:

@NiGHTS108 can we add quirks to improve our segments or is it already too late for that? i was planning on changing a bit of sinister face of the UAC so it's a bit more harder

Yup! Any updates to maps are allowed until it gets uploaded to Idgames, just make sure to post it in the dev thread linked on the map list portion of the main post.

Edited by NiGHTS108

"Lift boy this ain't my floor"

Here are the latest versions of my maps. I reduced the lift depth by half, and I hope that this strikes a good compromise. Please let me know if you have any further feedback, thank you.

Spoiler

I did a quick replay of Miniddo.

Some things are fixed: The Icon of Sin lift finally has a texture and Monsieur. Es teleports are set up correctly now (it's no longer an early exit).
Some things are still broken: Scientifikgeniuses segment still has the incorrect line action (it should be 195) and Blue Phoenixes segment still has more than 10 lines, as well as those two tagged lines that teleport to nowhere (200 and 192). To the causal player: that segment seems like it has the right number of lines tho, so maybe you could get away with it. But if you want it to be a bit more authentic, then there are some things to take into account:

Spoiler

Of the lines in that segment: Lines 193, 195, 189, 197, 190, 194, 196 and 191 are completely fine. Line 199 was accidentally intersected with one line to create lines 200 and 192. Line 199 should be decoupled from any other lines and allowed to float in the middle of its sector. Lines 200 and 192 should therefor be made into a single line and that line should be given the tag and action properties of line 1190 (which was added during compilation as a teleport to leave the segment from my understanding).

I did also check out E5M37 with the "Fix collisions on large maps" option enabled - and the collisions seem to work with that map now, however - I can't be 100% certain because I'm not skilled enough to beat that map and my computer isn't skilled enough to run that map without the FPS going into the decimals. This option might also fix some of the clipping issues on other big maps, but we'll have test that.

Isn't there special lump that DSDA supports which allows the wad creator to force specific game options? I think it might have even been introduced in the original MBF. 

As a little side note:
 I did beat E5M43!

Turns out:

Spoiler

All you have to do is walk around the exit line (starting from the right and going counter-clockwise).

I don't think that you can UVMAX that map and I don't think that the map author intended you to do so. 
I also managed to beat E5M44!

Here's how I did it:

Spoiler

I shot the wall...

With this map: I don't think that you can UVMAX it either, however - I don't think that this was by design. I think that the Author intended you to be able to grab the BFG, so you could blast the Cybie, but you can't pick up the BFG. I'm not sure about this one, might need conformation from the author.

6 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

Scientifikgeniuses segment still has the incorrect line action (it should be 195)

Huh, could have sworn I fixed that, oh well, it is for sure now!

11 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

I did also check out E5M37 with the "Fix collisions on large maps" option enabled - and the collisions seem to work with that map now, however - I can't be 100% certain because I'm not skilled enough to beat that map and my computer isn't skilled enough to run that map without the FPS going into the decimals. This option might also fix some of the clipping issues on other big maps, but we'll have test that.

Isn't there special lump that DSDA supports which allows the wad creator to force specific game options? I think it might have even been introduced in the original MBF. 

I feel like I've heard of that specific lump in question, might be a mapinfo thing? I'm not sure, I'll take a closer look

12 minutes ago, NiGHTS108 said:

I feel like I've heard of that specific lump in question, might be a mapinfo thing? I'm not sure, I'll take a closer look

I don't think that it is a mapinfo type lump. It works on the wad as a whole and not on individual maps. I think I may have seen it once in the wad "Somnia Super Stella" by Xyzzy.

I checked the "Stella" wad and the lump is simply labeled as OPTIONS and it just has a bunch of internal setting names with number values at the end. That wad is MBF21, so it might work in DSDA, you just need to find the right internal setting name.

Episode 2 recording here, showing all maps except for E2M7 (couldn't work out how to do it, so ended up trimming it out of the video) and E2M46 (recording failed at this point). Nothing in particular I would change here except perhaps put E2M7 in a later episode. I particularly enjoyed the lost soul raceway map.

13 hours ago, NiGHTS108 said:

Huh, could have sworn I fixed that, oh well, it is for sure now!

Okay, I checked Miniddo again and everything seems to work now!

On 9/4/2023 at 7:33 AM, Horus said:

Episode 2 recording here, showing all maps except for E2M7 (couldn't work out how to do it, so ended up trimming it out of the video) and E2M46 (recording failed at this point). Nothing in particular I would change here except perhaps put E2M7 in a later episode. I particularly enjoyed the lost soul raceway map.

I know you're playing the whole megawad @Horus and not any particular level, and thank you anyway for playing the one I made ("Not Again" - timestamp 46:33). I'm happy to see my contribution seems to play as expected, at least on UV. Notably, I was concerned a player would have to wait around too long after defeating all the enemies, an easy thing to do on the easier difficulties I did design for (though presumably folks playing on those levels would take approximately similar times to scale with their skill). You scrapped by with very little health on your successful run -- congrats! :o

No E3 recording as audio failed - it starts getting beyond my skill level at that point anyway. Based on my playthrough, I would suggest swapping E1M16 & E3M36, and E2M7 & E3M12. This should help make the first two episodes a bit more accessible throughout imo.

@NiGHTS108 Here's an interesting bug. E3M18 breaks completely when using the widescreen patch. It works completely fine without the 10line_ws.wad 

Also, can you please update my map's skyboxes to the following:

E3M18: SKY3

E4M22: SKY2

also, here is an update for e5m7 and e4m22. the map's are named as 'MAP07' and 'MAP22' in the file respectively.

suya_update10line.zip

I tried out E3M18 with and without the widescreen patch - it really is fucking weird! I don't have any idea why the widescreen assets would break the collisions on this specific map (even tho I had the "fix large map collisions" option enabled)! It makes no God damned sense! But it happened... somehow.

Hey can someone post a list of the maps that had the reject table issues in DSDA? I'd like to replay those without clipping through the walls and enemies. Or have those been fixed / being fixed?

Hi, Congrats on the release, it was a herculean task of juggling that many maps but it came out great and thanks to all the mappers for the awesome levels. :)

I played through almost all of the wad now and so far E1-4 are up on YT (videos below in spoilered off section), currently near the finish of E5 so last parts are coming soon. 

Spoiler

On 9/8/2023 at 10:22 AM, SuyaSSS said:

@NiGHTS108 Here's an interesting bug. E3M18 breaks completely when using the widescreen patch. It works completely fine without the 10line_ws.wad 

Also, can you please update my map's skyboxes to the following:

E3M18: SKY3

E4M22: SKY2

also, here is an update for e5m7 and e4m22. the map's are named as 'MAP07' and 'MAP22' in the file respectively.

suya_update10line.zip

On 9/9/2023 at 2:06 PM, Ar_e_en said:

I tried out E3M18 with and without the widescreen patch - it really is fucking weird! I don't have any idea why the widescreen assets would break the collisions on this specific map (even tho I had the "fix large map collisions" option enabled)! It makes no God damned sense! But it happened... somehow.

Sorry for not responding to the thread in a few days, I've updated Suya's maps as requested, and about the E3M18 bug, I agree it's a most confusing error indeed, the only fix for it I've found seems to be reducing the size of the map by dragging the three outer vertices closer together, I haven't done that though since I kind of want to experiment more and see if I can find another, less distracting fix for the map. This seems to be more of an issue with DSDA-Doom, maybe, since still the map works fine without the patch, quite concerning if this issue applies to other maps... This project just keeps running into the strangest issues!

Update: I tried the widescreen patch with a few other notably large maps in Episode 5 and inconspicuously none of them seem to be affected by the patch! Not even something like Light Pillar In Abyss surprisingly, how strange...

Update Update: I managed to fix E3M18 by just moving one vertice ever so slightly to the left, I'm not even sure what happened but it seems like there was just some kind of freak accident with that map that weirdly causes it to completely break no matter what running it on DSDA with a widescreen patch, I'm not sure, but the point is it's fixed now.

7 hours ago, TheShep said:

Hey can someone post a list of the maps that had the reject table issues in DSDA? I'd like to replay those without clipping through the walls and enemies. Or have those been fixed / being fixed?

Those should all be fixed now, I haven't received any bug reports about reject table issues in like, a week or two at this point.

Edited by NiGHTS108

7 hours ago, scientifikgenius said:

are my updated versions of my maps being put in next RC? no rush but i do want to know

They’re all already there actually, it’s easier for me to just quickly apply an update to an existing release candidate instead of making a new one for every minor change I make

4 hours ago, NiGHTS108 said:

They’re all already there actually, it’s easier for me to just quickly apply an update to an existing release candidate instead of making a new one for every minor change I make

fair enough. i just got confused cuz the gameplay i've seen has them playing the outdated versions so i got confused

On 9/14/2023 at 2:10 PM, DemoGorgonZola said:

Hi, Congrats on the release, it was a herculean task of juggling that many maps but it came out great and thanks to all the mappers for the awesome levels. :)

I played through almost all of the wad now and so far E1-4 are up on YT (videos below in spoilered off section), currently near the finish of E5 so last parts are coming soon. 

Reveal hidden contents

Neat to see you play through continuously @DemoGorgonZola (and to play through the later episodes too!) Glad to see that, even with the BFG, you didn't have to wait around for the exit in my level for too long and that it appeared to still offer a slight challenge!