Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Betelgeuse

Help again (serious) ("Is it possible to add custom monsters in udb without using gzdoom: doom 2 (udmf) format? I want to add custom monsters using the format Doom: Doom 2 format")

Now listen, ik when i edit using whacked i end up with a .deh file.

Now this file i just open it with notepad, copy the text inside, and then open slade, open my wad, and then make a new entry called "DEHACKED" then set the programming language dehacked and then paste it in it. 

23 minutes ago, Tarry111 said:

Take a look at scythe 2, it has 2 dehacked monsters yet its not even gzdoom. How did erik do that?

Doom, in its vanilla version, has all the monsters and other actors hard-coded in a big ol' table. (Well, several big ol' tables in fact, as there's one for mobj types, one for states, one for sprites, one for sounds...) DEHACKED is a program that allows to edit the Doom executable to change some of the hard-coded data in it. That's the source of its name, Doom Executable HACK EDitor.

So with DEHACKED, you can change the vanilla actors to get different behaviors by changing the content of those tables, and that's what is done in Scythe 2 and others.

Advanced source ports can have fully fledged content definition languages, such as DECORATE and a few others. Those allow to create brand-new actors instead of modifying existing one. They work quite differently from DEHACKED because instead of modifying existing content, you add new content.

Relatively recently, DEHACKED has seen a few extensions that kind of blur the line between "changing existing content" and "adding new content", mostly by adding extra placeholder content that you can change freely in a first time (so you don't need to change the vanilla actors anymore), with DEHEXTRA, and then eventually by allowing to dynamically extend the tables, with DSDHacked. Obviously, these enhanced DEHACKED extensions are only compatible with some source ports -- they don't work with vanilla. With DSDA-Doom, you have access to DSDHacked, so that's fine.

The problem, though, is that DEHACKED retain a rather non-intuitive syntax because, originally, it was meant to be written by a program not by hand, and it was meant to record changes, not additions. So even if you use all the added conveniences of DEHEXTRA, MBF21, DSDHacked, etc., writing DEHACKED code remains difficult.

Fortunately, there's DECOHack which you can use to write DECORATE-like code and then get it converted to DEHACKED code compatible with DEHEXTRA or DSDHacked. Which is what I'd recommend looking into.

Ok how about valient? it has a lot of roaster of enemies how did @skillsawdo it?

its not gzdoom. did he use mfb21, if yes how did he get custom monsters in mfb21.

But ik it requires comp 11 and a boom compatible source port. how did he get custom monsters for a boom compatible wad?

Sorry if i am too confusing but i am too confused.

8 minutes ago, Tarry111 said:

Ok how about valient? it has a lot of roaster of enemies how did @skillsawdo it?

its not gzdoom. did he use mfb21, if yes how did he get custom monsters in mfb21.

But ik it requires comp 11 and a boom compatible source port. how did he get custom monsters for a boom compatible wad?

MBF21 didn't exist when Vailant came out I'm pretty sure. The monsters and weapons would've been through DeHackEd.

Just now, Mr Masker said:

MBF21 didn't exist when Vailant came out I'm pretty sure. The monsters and weapons would've been through DeHackEd.

well how did he use dehacked for custom monster textures and attacks and stuff, ik a bit of dehacked 4 and like the edit but i am not that of an expert. 

Tell me please

3 minutes ago, Tarry111 said:

well how did he use dehacked for custom monster textures and attacks and stuff, ik a bit of dehacked 4 and like the edit but i am not that of an expert. 

Tell me please

I've never used Dehacked, Decorate, MBF21, etc before. I just play the maps and mods and I made a few maps years ago. Consider looking at the wiki page and Google.

(Actually I think I use Dehacked for the map names, but that was it.)

26 minutes ago, Tarry111 said:

can some expert explain please?

2 hours ago, Tarry111 said:

how do i add custom monster sprites to dehacked

Is the tutorial in the "things"

I dont get it unfortunately 

1 hour ago, Tarry111 said:

can some expert explain please?

How about you start investing and learning new things instead of asking every random question under the sun and expecting immediate results.

You also don't have to quote yourself in order to bump up your thread.

14 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

How about you start investing and learning new things instead of asking every random question under the sun and expecting immediate results.

You also don't have to quote yourself in order to bump up your thread.

Who said i am expecting immediate results. Just leave me alone you keep trash talking me lmao

like what do you want

Our favorite Vainilla Flavor enjoyer @Doomkid made a video that will get you info on how dehacked bases work, and with that you will catch how the tutorial that @Scyon linked you in this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTn-oK8m2KU

1 minute ago, D4NUK1 said:

Our favorite Vainilla Flavor enjoyer @Doomkid made a video that will get you info on how dehacked bases work, and with that you will catch how the tutorial that @Scyon linked you in this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTn-oK8m2KU

I have seen that video but he also talks about dehacked. the really old program.

And i dont use that i use whacked4 

Just now, Tarry111 said:

I have seen that video but he also talks about dehacked. the really old program.

I'll giveyou timestamps 

0:34 Downloading necessary programs

0:52 Starting WhackEd4, creating new file

1:43 Basic WhackEd4 menu overview

1:58 Editing THING properties (health of enemies, height and width, etc)

3:13 Editing STATES (animation frames and their actions)

4:34 Editing STRINGS (story text, item pickup messages, etc)

5:45 Editing WEAPON properties (*weapons other than fist/chainsaw should NOT use "infinite" ammo type!*)

6:05 Editing AMMO (how much ammo you pick up and max capacity)

6:46 Editing CHEAT codes

7:08 Editing MISC properties (BFG ammo usage, etc)

7:42 Examples of messing with STATES and THING properties

9:05 (Big mistake by me, anything that fires bullets or projectiles should NEVER use infinite ammo, even the fist or saw!)

12:42 Making an enemy walk at different speed & fire different projectiles

17:07 Loading our DEH file in Vanilla Doom (OPTIONAL! DosBox not needed if you use a port!)

19:34 (Example of why "infinite ammo" is bad - firing the customized fist weapon causes my SHELL capacity to go down, glitching the game)

21:07 Setting custom SPRITES for your modified weapons/enemies

24:31 Re-naming sprites in Slade 26:31 Re-naming custom sprites in WhackEd4 (MUST match name set in Slade!)

29:00 Setting up your WAD so that it will run in ALL source ports (GZDoom, PrBoom etc)

Hopefully the information will go and help you.

6 minutes ago, D4NUK1 said:

I'll giveyou timestamps 

0:34 Downloading necessary programs

0:52 Starting WhackEd4, creating new file

1:43 Basic WhackEd4 menu overview

1:58 Editing THING properties (health of enemies, height and width, etc)

3:13 Editing STATES (animation frames and their actions)

4:34 Editing STRINGS (story text, item pickup messages, etc)

5:45 Editing WEAPON properties (*weapons other than fist/chainsaw should NOT use "infinite" ammo type!*)

6:05 Editing AMMO (how much ammo you pick up and max capacity)

6:46 Editing CHEAT codes

7:08 Editing MISC properties (BFG ammo usage, etc)

7:42 Examples of messing with STATES and THING properties

9:05 (Big mistake by me, anything that fires bullets or projectiles should NEVER use infinite ammo, even the fist or saw!)

12:42 Making an enemy walk at different speed & fire different projectiles

17:07 Loading our DEH file in Vanilla Doom (OPTIONAL! DosBox not needed if you use a port!)

19:34 (Example of why "infinite ammo" is bad - firing the customized fist weapon causes my SHELL capacity to go down, glitching the game)

21:07 Setting custom SPRITES for your modified weapons/enemies

24:31 Re-naming sprites in Slade 26:31 Re-naming custom sprites in WhackEd4 (MUST match name set in Slade!)

29:00 Setting up your WAD so that it will run in ALL source ports (GZDoom, PrBoom etc)

Thanks but i want custom monsters not sprites, ik he editing the monsters from the whacked program considered "custom" like not only sprites but also attacking and stuff.

What i mean is i want to get the monsters from realm667 working on udb without using gzdoom udmf format

Just now, Tarry111 said:

Thanks but i want custom monsters not sprites, ik he editing the monsters from the whacked program considered "custom" like not only sprites but also attacking and stuff.

What i mean is i want to get the monsters from realm667 working on udb without using gzdoom udmf format

The most efective way it's like more people say, it's with WhackEd64.

For adding a custom monster, you will edit the propiety of some enemies (Like the SS Soldier, Keen, Specter...) and modify acordly to how you want the enemy to attack or work.

Valiant for example, i'm pretty sure they modify with this, the pistol to shoot more faster, and one of keen or SS to make the serious sam bombers.

To see some crazy custom monster vainilla stuff, check this out to get a idea on how that worked.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Ray_Mohawk_2:_Ray_Wreaks_Havoc!

6 minutes ago, D4NUK1 said:

The most efective way it's like more people say, it's with WhackEd64.

For adding a custom monster, you will edit the propiety of some enemies (Like the SS Soldier, Keen, Specter...) and modify acordly to how you want the enemy to attack or work.

Valiant for example, i'm pretty sure they modify with this, the pistol to shoot more faster, and one of keen or SS to make the serious sam bombers.

To see some crazy custom monster vainilla stuff, check this out to get a idea on how that worked.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Ray_Mohawk_2:_Ray_Wreaks_Havoc!

"For adding a custom monster, you will edit the propiety of some enemies (Like the SS Soldier, Keen, Specter...) and modify acordly to how you want the enemy to attack or work." Okay is there a way to do it with realm667 cuz its easier in my opinion.

34 minutes ago, Tarry111 said:

Who said i am expecting immediate results. Just leave me alone you keep trash talking me lmao like what do you want

You are literally quoting yourself asking if people can help within the same hour.

I am telling you to invest and learn into what you want to do:

1. Learn how DeHacked/Whacked work. Study its contents. That doesn't mean saying ''I don't get it unfortunately'' because that tells me you aren't taking your time to learn it (hence immediate results)
  2. Learn how UDB works. There has been a tremendous amount of tutorials available.
  3. Follow DoomKid's tutorial's, as these cover pretty much the grunt of what you want.
7 minutes ago, Tarry111 said:

"For adding a custom monster, you will edit the propiety of some enemies (Like the SS Soldier, Keen, Specter...) and modify acordly to how you want the enemy to attack or work." Okay is there a way to do it with realm667 cuz its easier in my opinion.

See this is what i mean. You cite an explanation and then ask a completely unrelated question that highlights you aren't taking your time to learn things, hence you want immediate results.

After all, Realm667 is easier, whatever that is supposed to mean because Realm667 is a repository for content first and formost these days.

28 minutes ago, Tarry111 said:

Who said i am expecting immediate results. Just leave me alone you keep trash talking me lmao

like what do you want

Your 11 posts in the last three hours suggest you're expecting immediate results. Also, that was his only post in this thread.

16 minutes ago, Tarry111 said:

Monsters ARE sprites. Or rather, monsters have two parts, behavior (the actions they do) and sprites (their appearance).

16 minutes ago, Tarry111 said:

Have you not been paying attention to what people have told you - repeatedly, at this point?

9 minutes ago, Tarry111 said:

That's a nonsensical question, it makes no sense. realm667 has sprites. That's what custom monsters are. WhackEd4 is a way to put the sprites into the game compatible with Doom 2 format. That's what you're stuck with if you don't want to use GZDoom or UDMF formats.

Slow down and take your time to learn and understand.

Just now, Redneckerz said:

You are literally quoting yourself asking if people can help within the same hour.

I am telling you to invest and learn into what you want to do:

1. Learn how DeHacked/Whacked work. Study its contents. That doesn't mean saying ''I don't get it unfortunately'' because that tells me you aren't taking your time to learn it (hence immediate results)
  2. Learn how UDB works. There has been a tremendous amount of tutorials available.
  3. Follow DoomKid's tutorial's, as these cover pretty much the grunt of what you want.

See this is what i mean. You cite an explanation and then ask a completely unrelated question that highlights you aren't taking your time to learn things, hence you want immediate results.

After all, Realm667 is easier, whatever that is supposed to mean because Realm667 is a repository for content first and formost these days.

I already know how whacked and UDB work. 

1 minute ago, Stabbey said:

Your 11 posts in the last three hours suggest you're expecting immediate results. Also, that was his only post in this thread.

Monsters ARE sprites. Or rather, monsters have two parts, behavior (the actions they do) and sprites (their appearance).

Have you not been paying attention to what people have told you - repeatedly, at this point?

That's a nonsensical question, it makes no sense. realm667 has sprites. That's what custom monsters are. WhackEd4 is a way to put the sprites into the game compatible with Doom 2 format. That's what you're stuck with if you don't want to use GZDoom or UDMF formats.

Slow down and take your time to learn and understand.

I am literally being patient and waiting for answers

6 minutes ago, Tarry111 said:

I already know how whacked and UDB work. 

The Aspectsweb link details how DeHacked works - Whacked relies on the ideas and concepts used by DeHacked. This is why that link was provided.

You also said you didn't get it, so if you know how Whacked works, you should know how DeHacked works.

6 minutes ago, Tarry111 said:

I am literally being patient and waiting for answers

In the mean time try studying the links given. Mastering Doom isn't a matter of minutes - It is a matter of months or years.

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

The Aspectsweb link details how DeHacked works - Whacked relies on the ideas and concepts used by DeHacked. This is why that link was provided.

You also said you didn't get it, so if you know how Whacked works, you should know how DeHacked works.

In the mean time try studying the links given. Mastering Doom isn't a matter of minutes - It is a matter of months or years.

Okay i will, idk why are you so pressed about it.

1 minute ago, Tarry111 said:

Okay i will, idk why are you so pressed about it.

Because most of your postings indicate you aren't doing that and instead are just asking very silly questions as you go - silly, because if you read what people provide you, you wouldn't ask these right away.

Just now, Redneckerz said:

Because most of your postings indicate you aren't doing that and instead are just asking very silly questions as you go - silly, because if you read what people provide you, you wouldn't ask these right away.

I have already seen half of the links provided but i dont wanna be mean or annoying it's just when i said i already know how whacked4 and udb work i meant i pretty much know a lot of stuff about udb but whacked4 i know a bit, sorry for not clarifying that

52 minutes ago, Tarry111 said:

You must not be talking about the same video because the one that's linked is literally about WhackEd4. 

If someone links an advice video that might help and you're not watching it because you're claiming it is something else than what it is, you're basically proving this thread is entirely hopeless and just baiting people into wasting their time.