Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnny Cruelty

[COMMUNITY PROJECT] (MUSICIANS NEEDED) Amalgoom, Combining Doom 1 and 2

7 minutes ago, GermanPeter said:

I was really struggling at the start because both maps SUCK visually and I swear E2M6 uses at most 8 different textures and 3 different enemies. So everything I made looked like garbage, but that was because I wanted to stick very close to the original designs.

As an avid shores of hell enjoyer, i feel personally attacked by this statement, and worst of all, you're godamn right.

1 minute ago, DankMetal said:

As an avid shores of hell enjoyer, i feel personally attacked by this statement, and worst of all, you're godamn right.

How do you think I feel? Suburbs is my favorite map and it has NOTHING going on either!

12 minutes ago, GermanPeter said:

How do you think I feel? Suburbs is my favorite map and it has NOTHING going on either!

Peter (Steele), this level kicks ass! I enjoyed it!. the secrets were campy and  neat, and I love how a hallway wraps around the houses in the map!

also love the fake exit too at the end, but I feel like the "baseball field" from map16 should be part, you know with the black and white box lifts, and maybe also instead of a 1 key exit, you'd have like two key door exits, since e2m6 had a multikey door exit...

also another thing, at some point in e2m6, there is a crossway of halls which go to 4 different rooms, (especially the yellow key room with the crusher) you think you could add that part? also add some barons too if you can

but other than that, this map is amazing, it feels like a residential gated community for techno demons, good job man!

18 minutes ago, GermanPeter said:

also maybe add a linedef that sinks parts of the map into nukage just like in e2m6, when you get the berserk, some of the floor near it turns into nukage

Your requests kinda confuse me to be honest, isn't the entire point of this project that the maps are inspired and have recognisable pieces from the original maps without directly copying any layouts? The map already seems to fit that perfectly, I'm not sure why elements more obviously taken from the original levels would be needed (unless you're implying that the map doesn't have enough of a 50/50 mix between the original maps and that's why you're suggesting more elements from E2M6).

1 minute ago, Individualised said:

Your requests kinda confuse me to be honest, isn't the entire point of this project that the maps are inspired and have recognisable pieces from the original maps without directly copying any layouts? The map already seems to fit that perfectly, I'm not sure why elements more obviously taken from the original maps would be needed (unless you're implying that the map doesn't have enough of a 50/50 mix between the original maps and that's why you're suggesting more elements from E2M6).

hmm you gotta point, maybe it is fine where it is...

I apologize @GermanPeter

25 minutes ago, Johnny Cruelty said:

Peter (Steele), this level kicks ass! I enjoyed it!. the secrets were campy and  neat, and I love how a hallway wraps around the houses in the map!

also love the fake exit too at the end, but I feel like the "baseball field" from map16 should be part, you know with the black and white box lifts, and maybe also instead of a 1 key exit, you'd have like two key door exits, since e2m6 had a multikey door exit... 

also another thing, at some point in e2m6, there is a crossway of halls which go to 4 different rooms, (especially the yellow key room with the crusher) you think you could add that part? also add some barons too if you can

but other than that, this map is amazing, it feels like a residential gated community for techno demons, good job man!

I originally wanted to add a football field (as a reference to the baseball one) à la Duke Nukem 3D, but it would have taken up too much space and I kinda felt like I'd have to add enemies to it, but you JUST had the battle at the pond, so I scrapped it. It's more streamlined this way.

I think I already added plenty of elements from both maps, so I'm not going to add something like the crossways or multiple key exits (especially because I think it's funny enough that you need the blue key solely to get the red key, good job Sandy). Also, parts of the floor do lower into nukage, right before you get the blue key.
And there's no Barons in either map, so I don't know why I would want to add them.

But I'm glad you enjoy it!

2 minutes ago, GermanPeter said:

I originally wanted to add a football field (as a reference to the baseball one) à la Duke Nukem 3D, but it would have taken up too much space and I kinda felt like I'd have to add enemies to it, but you JUST had the battle at the pond, so I scrapped it. It's more streamlined this way.

I think I already added plenty of elements from both maps, so I'm not going to add something like the crossways or multiple key exits (especially because I think it's funny enough that you need the blue key solely to get the red key, good job Sandy). Also, parts of the floor do lower into nukage, right before you get the blue key.
And there's no Barons in either map, so I don't know why I would want to add them.

But I'm glad you enjoy it!

there is barons in e2m6, when you get a key or something, some walls open up spitting out barons and pinkies

11 minutes ago, Johnny Cruelty said:

there is barons in e2m6, when you get a key or something, some walls open up spitting out barons and pinkies

Oh yeah, there are a couple, I guess they blended in with the Demons in the editor.

Honestly though, I don't like Barons, they're way too bulletspongy and I think enemies like the Revenants and Mancubi fill his role better on my map, so I'm leaving him out.

Just now, GermanPeter said:

Oh yeah, there are a couple, I guess they blended in with the Demons in the editor.

Honestly though, I don't like Barons, they're way too bulletspongy and I think enemies like the Revenants and Mancubi fill his role better on my map, so I'm leaving him out.

yeah that's fair....

also dont forget to put your map in the google drive so when we assemble the megawad, we can get yours easier

20 minutes ago, Johnny Cruelty said:

yeah that's fair....

also dont forget to put your map in the google drive so when we assemble the megawad, we can get yours easier

I'd like for more people to playtest it first :)

1 hour ago, GermanPeter said:

I'm done with my map (MAP16 + E2M6), FINALLY!
I was really struggling at the start because both maps SUCK visually and I swear E2M6 uses at most 8 different textures and 3 different enemies. So everything I made looked like garbage, but that was because I wanted to stick very close to the original designs.

But then I found my groove and ended up really enjoying working on the map, and I do think that I was able to combine the two designs quite effectively! Even managed to add some twists and turns here and there, while keeping the open-ended nature of Suburbs intact (because I love that so much).

I playtested the map on Ultra-Violence and it's pretty alright, I added some more ammo here and there, but I'd love some feedback. Haven't gotten anyone else to playtest it yet.

Link to map:

https://mega.nz/file/FKhRWD5Z#B5BDuOCLMcRtlZr5YUMxq4PKuLFeyfNCTDZjc3cEODM

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20231028_220055.pngScreenshot_Doom_20231028_220122.pngScreenshot_Doom_20231028_220111.pngScreenshot_Doom_20231028_220101.png

Gonna record this in a sec, Peter. 

gotta drop this one, i do better on maps when i'm not stressed out with work, home, etc.

sorry for dissapointing y'all

9 minutes ago, Biz! said:

gotta drop this one, i do better on maps when i'm not stressed out with work, home, etc.

I hope you have a good day

8 minutes ago, Biz! said:

Real life always goes first, no need to apologize.

Johnny, since two map slots are open now, you should let people know about it. Can you edit the title of the post? If so, I'd recommend putting it in there.

1 hour ago, GermanPeter said:

Real life always goes first, no need to apologize.

Johnny, since two map slots are open now, you should let people know about it. Can you edit the title of the post? If so, I'd recommend putting it in there.

That was amazing. Video Up in a few minutes. I'll edit the post. This project is turning out great stuff. 

@GermanPeter, here it is.

Edited by DoomGappy

22 hours ago, Individualised said:

... if a sequel project is done with Final Doom...

"Plution" ?

6 minutes ago, ax34 said:

"Plution" ?

If a sequel is started, I definitely want a slot! Though, let's get this one out first. If anyone else drops I probably have time to do another map before the deadline.

I will test the new maps soon.

16 minutes ago, ax34 said:

"Plution" ?

What about TNTonia? Plution feels off for some reason.
If a sequel is started i might be interested in doing a map for it but that'll depend on whether i'm busy or not or if a sequel even happens lmao. 

7 minutes ago, Max-ko-khan said:

What about TNTonia? Plution feels off for some reason.
If a sequel is started i might be interested in doing a map for it but that'll depend on whether i'm busy or not or if a sequel even happens lmao. 

the offical name I given it is Amalgoom II: PluTNTonia

Come on guys, let's not count our chickens until they've hatched, alright? We gotta finish this one first. The idea is completely amazing, though.

Edited by DoomGappy

8 hours ago, GermanPeter said:

I'm done with my map (MAP16 + E2M6), FINALLY!

But then I found my groove and ended up really enjoying working on the map, and I do think that I was able to combine the two designs quite effectively! Even managed to add some twists and turns here and there, while keeping the open-ended nature of Suburbs intact (because I love that so much).

I playtested the map on Ultra-Violence and it's pretty alright, I added some more ammo here and there, but I'd love some feedback. Haven't gotten anyone else to playtest it yet.

Link to map:

https://mega.nz/file/FKhRWD5Z#B5BDuOCLMcRtlZr5YUMxq4PKuLFeyfNCTDZjc3cEODM

Screenshots:

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20231028_220055.pngScreenshot_Doom_20231028_220122.pngScreenshot_Doom_20231028_220111.pngScreenshot_Doom_20231028_220101.png

A very good fun map with tough battles, very faithful to the simplicity of original maps. But here some nitpicks/bugs:

Spoiler

This lift doesn work form one side, while working from others

doom36.png.0834e54cd86b6b8ba6149552cae508da.png

This decoration is blocking the player, theres a version of the same decoration that doesnt do that

doom37.png.55887c79cdcc32c731beb536fc8fc951.png

I would recommend using GATE flat here, well, because its usually used for teleporters

doom38.png.7edcbdcd85193b3766fae8d946c5fc8b.png

Edited by SpaceCat_2001