Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsda-dev

dsda-doom v0.27.5 [2023-12-03]

On 11/29/2023 at 8:37 PM, r@nd0m said:

The problem is that I did exactly that and ended up with the disproportionate image shown in the first screenshot.

Set the resolution to a 16:10 ratio (e.g. 1920x1200) and set the aspect ratio setting to 4:3.

1 hour ago, RushupDen said:

Still don't understand how to record inside DSDA. 

Is there an easy to read instruction out here? 

I have a question about OpenGL mode.
When I play in OpenGL mode, everything looks exactly like it looks like in software mode. For example, Sunlust MAP31 has dark blue sky.
How do I play maps that are supposed to look better in OpenGL mode? How do I make Sunlust MAP31 sky look like it's supposed to look in OpenGL?

4 hours ago, Llednar said:

I have a question about OpenGL mode.
When I play in OpenGL mode, everything looks exactly like it looks like in software mode. For example, Sunlust MAP31 has dark blue sky.
How do I play maps that are supposed to look better in OpenGL mode? How do I make Sunlust MAP31 sky look like it's supposed to look in OpenGL?

Presently you can't; OpenGL in dsda looks (almost) exactly like software mode by design, and is only meant to help performance for people with good video cards. This may change in the future, but it doesn't seem to be a priority. You'll need to go back to PrBoom+ (or GZDoom), or try PrBoomX, to get the OpenGL look.

1 hour ago, plums said:

Presently you can't; OpenGL in dsda looks (almost) exactly like software mode by design, and is only meant to help performance for people with good video cards. This may change in the future, but it doesn't seem to be a priority. You'll need to go back to PrBoom+ (or GZDoom), or try PrBoomX, to get the OpenGL look. 

Oh... I see. Does either of them support MBF21? I don't see the information about it.

1 minute ago, Llednar said:

Oh... I see. Does either of them support MBF21? I don't see the information about it.

PrBoom+ definitely does not, I don't think PrBoomX does but @JadingTsunami would have to tell you for sure.

22 minutes ago, plums said:

PrBoom+ definitely does not, I don't think PrBoomX does but @JadingTsunami would have to tell you for sure.

So... does that mean that there is absolutely no way to play, say, Eviternity 2, with both dynamic lights and ability to record demos at the same time?
Oh wait, I think I can use an outdated version of DSDA for that. Unless Eviternity 2 needs something that was implemented since then.

Edited by Llednar

9 minutes ago, Llednar said:

So... does that mean that there is absolutely no way to play, say, Eviternity 2, with both dynamic lights and ability to record demos at the same time?

I don't think PrBoom+ ever had dynamic lights, at least not in the way that GZDoom does? Unless you mean something else? But in any case, no, there is unfortunately no port currently available that supports all three of GL-specific features, MBF21, and stable demo recording.

5 minutes ago, plums said:

I don't think PrBoom+ ever had dynamic lights, at least not in the way that GZDoom does? Unless you mean something else?

Ah, maybe. I haven't played in OpenGL mode since forever, I mostly play very old WADs and use software mode for authenticity. Probably forgot what is possible and what is not. I was just annoyed by the amount of problems I suddenly had to face when I decided to play some fancy-looking WADs for the first time in years.

So a while back I ask about this issue I keep having with every new version of DSDA since 0.25 where I can't minimize the game window by alt-tabbing and my mouse isn't captured properly - I have to press a mouse key before any keyboard inputs are read when starting the game from the command line (doesn't happen when using a batch file), and for the newest version, the mouse cursor remains visible when inside the menu independent of which method of loading I use (batch file or command line).

Both of this issues are kinda deal-breakers for me and as a result I'm still stuck with using 0.24.3, the last version that just worked as expected. Now with Eviternity II out, I would really like to upgrade to the newest version, which is why I ask again if anything can be done about these issues.

On 10/28/2023 at 3:21 PM, dsda-dev said:

Ah ok that's much simpler. The problem is cmd refuses to let the window take focus. Why it refuses I don't know, but most likely it would be fixed by disabling terminal output in the windows build (which is how it is in 0.24.3). I'd rather figure out how to solve the problem without doing that though. @rfomin do you have any idea why cmd won't give up focus, or how to make it do so?

On 10/28/2023 at 4:13 PM, rfomin said:

I don't think the problem is the terminal output. Woof has two executables, woof.com (terminal enabled) and woof.exe (terminal disabled). I tried reproducing the issue using both DSDA-Doom and Woof on Windows 10 cmd.exe. Input was correctly captured, but there were some problems with alt-tabbing in fullscreen mode. My suspicion is that there might be a problem from a more recent version of SDL2.

Edited by Gregor

2 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

@Gregor, I may be completely off here but did you try playing with the Exclusive Fullscreen option?

Well, turns out the mouse cursor issue could actually be fixed by setting Exclusive Fullscreen to "no" but Fullscreen Mode to "yes". I already figured that out for the previous release (0.27.0) but had forgotten about it when I tried out 0.27.5 for first time yesterday. Thanks for the help!

But the alt-tabbing problem and the issue with cmd refusing to take focus upon start-up has nothing to do with this. Fortunately I'm not much into recording demos because this problem means that the start of the first demo attempt is always messed up, since I have to first press a mouse button before anything functions. I guess I can live with that but the alt-tabbing specifically is a major downgrade over 0.24.3 for me.

Gregor: hit me up on discord if you are around there and I can see if I can make a build that works for you

I have the same issue when alt-tabbing , the solution I use is to hit Alt+Return to go in windowed mode, then go back in full-screen with Alt+Return again.

Hey, just dropping by to share a bit of an issue I found in the latest version when playing with Vesper: the centered and bobbing weapon alignment option makes the weapons' lower/raise states behave strangely.

I only noticed this with Vesper as of posting but I imagine it might affect anything that has a bunch of frames, so I figured it was better to bring it up here.

1 hour ago, Matt Eldrydge said:

I only noticed this with Vesper as of posting but I imagine it might affect anything that has a bunch of frames, so I figured it was better to bring it up here.

Yes, this is also affecting some other wads. I'll be looking into it. Thanks for the report and the video.

4 hours ago, Ramon_Demestre said:

I have the same issue when alt-tabbing , the solution I use is to hit Alt+Return to go in windowed mode, then go back in full-screen with Alt+Return again.

Yeah, but that only works when you're not playing in native resolution, doesn't it?

Edited by Gregor

> Yeah, but that only works when you're not playing in native resolution, doesn't it? 

It seems indeed, but in my case with native resolution I get no trouble Alt-Tabbing. I usually use low exclusive-fullscreen resolutions.

Quick question, not a big deal honestly but is there a way to show the coordinates in automap in the high quality extra hud version like here?

https://i.ibb.co/g9wkDDK/dsdadoom01.png

https://i.ibb.co/RcCLnXK/nugg0001.png

My DSDA settings: https://rentry.co/4snyh3

...or these? https://i.ibb.co/M8X5jyd/dsdadoom02.png, no matter which setting I try to change they just don't show in the automap.

Edited by CacoKnight

2 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

Quick question, not a big deal honestly but is there a way to show the coordinates in automap in the high quality extra hud version like here?

https://i.ibb.co/g9wkDDK/dsdadoom01.png

https://i.ibb.co/RcCLnXK/nugg0001.png

My DSDA settings: https://rentry.co/4snyh3

...or these? https://i.ibb.co/M8X5jyd/dsdadoom02.png, no matter which setting I try to change they just don't show in the automap.

Bind a key to "coordinate display", it's on the 11th page of keybindings.

You could also change the setting "map_coordinates" to 1 in the config file. I don't think there's a setting to just change this in the options menu, and if there is I missed it.

Thanks @plums but yeah, I was trying to find a way in the DSDAHUD.lmp file/s to just show it in the automap, I reverted back the "map_coordinates" to 0 earlier because it just shows the old school coordinates.

I even tried to add "dsda_coordinate_display" to the DSDAHUD.lmp/"doom map" file and section but nothing.

@CacoKnight yeah I just realized I misread, sorry. I don't think you can have the full coords from map_coordinates on the automap, if that is what you're after.

A quick question about the hardware mode: how accurate it is it compared to software? I like the modern resolution features of DSDA-Doom (I have a 1440p monitor) but it seems like on software, stuff like Eviternity 2 will chug. I'm using Woof! currently but I hear DSDA has an extremely faithful hardware renderer. Is that more the defacto way to play DSDA over software? Should I stick to Woof? Or is the fps chugging a problem inherent with software rendering at higher resolutions?

I like the way software renders stuff over OpenGL, but it seems like DSDA is the only source port that has tried to create parity between the two renderers? (i.e. actually invisible spectres in dark places, and not translucent, almost halo-like demons).

Edited by Syoku : addendum

High res is very expensive in software mode. You'll get similar performance to woof if you lower the resolution to what it uses. Hardware rendering is relatively accurate and it can do a variety of "tricks" that software mode has, but there are still some gaps and some errors (for instance, corpses clip into the floor in opengl). The long term goal is to have complete parity between the modes, but for now it's a tradeoff.

Thank you for the response. On the topic of resolution, setting DSDA to 640x480 (I believe this is Woof's resolution) makes menu and text in the menu look rough and off compared to Woof! on a 1440p monitor. Is there a way to fix this? Do I just have the wrong resolution?

Edited by Syoku

You can try 640x400 that is the "crispy doom" resolution (twice vanilla width and height) I think this is also what Woof uses. It was designed for 4:3 monitors though.

Be sure not to activate exclusive full-screen if you want this resolution to look correct.