Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Bear

PUSS XXXII: D-30 (Dev thread) (Event Released)

Whoops. Forgot to submit to this as well as the Discord. Here is for here.

Whoops 2...... forgot to link the actual wad :|  

WAD Download souls_journeys_end.wad

Map Name: Soul's Journey's End

Author: Neil Forshaw

Music: Soul's Journey's End - Neil Forshaw

Episode [1,2,3]: 2 or 3

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Comments: When your soul cannot take any more of the eternal torture of Hell, there's one last remote outpost where you can end your torment and let your soul embrace the calm silent oblivion forever.
Wish I had more time to detail/light it but then again it is in keeping with Doom 1
An ode to E3M6 with heavy use of the plasma rifle for quick demon murder.

Screenshots:

sje-1.gif?ex=65710847&is=655e9347&hm=b39

sje-2.gif?ex=65710847&is=655e9347&hm=2b8

Screenshot_Doom_20231121_221633.png?ex=6

Screenshot_Doom_20231122_225925.png?ex=6

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20231122_225631.png?ex=6

Screenshot_Doom_20231122_230122.png?ex=6

Screenshot_Doom_20231122_225459.png?ex=6

Edited by NeilForshaw : Forgot to add link to WAD

20 hours ago, FEDEX said:

@NeilForshaw i think you forgot to submit the dl link to your map ..

(Edit: the 2nd screenshot looks really interesting)

Whoops. Thanks for pointing that out. I've edited the original post to include it. :)

Hey guys don't mind me I'm just stopping by because I happened to meet up with death bear and man with gun last night

This looks like a promising set of maps I had fun very nostalgic stuff good times good luck with your project guys

On 12/11/2023 at 4:06 PM, Death Bear said:

Oh no...I just played my level (E1M2 Chemical Storage BeachThunder)...and I made a little boo boo. It is an extremely easy fix.

Spoiler

image.png.5ffb929999768518430f7a8a20eb8f85.png

This backwards C sector should not be tagged as a secret...given that it's inaccessible...

Wow, it's nice to see that so many people are still doing so many oldschool maps for THE FIRST Doom! This looks like a pretty worthwhile job.

@ManWithGun, the very first map really fits its slot good. It looks classic and non-standard at the same time. It's an interesting beginning.

Hello, in light of my map ending up as E2M4 I decided to expand it a touch, as it was it felt a bit too small for the slot.

I decided to change the MIDI and name too (there's a new WILV graphic in the wad) - Download

Sorry, me again - the revised map I uploaded yesterday was a little buggy. This should be pretty much there, pending any feedback from playtesters.

(tidied up the automap a bit, removed some 0-tag linedefs and put a bit of extra ammo around the map too)

Hi, I played the first compilation so far, plan on playing the rest soon. :)

No really major issues and maps were generally fun and enjoyable, but some playtesting notes for Ep 1-3 below...

Spoiler

I played with pistol-starts on UV in GZDoom 4.5.0 (Doom (strict)):

===

E1M2 Chemical Storage BeachThunder
- secret sector #95 unreachable, tagged accidentaly?
E1M3 Nukage Nexus Muumi
- exit leads to next normal, not secret level (were supposed to be forced) 
E1M4 Blast Terminal Lina
- somewhat tight on ammo without secrets
E1M5 Martian Security BluePineapple72
- outside area where secret sector #251 is unreachable
- HOM, missing textures at the step of sector #250 
- non-functioning telepad? (sector #50)
- bonus health (thing #199) clipping though the floor
E1M7 Armoury Matt "Cannonball" Powell
- "no slaughter" rule... kekw (but doable and fun)
E1M8 Rotten Core DukeOfDoom
- secret sectors #130, #217 one after another, possibly one tagged by accident (#130 is the door sector)
E1M9 Swift Crater Facility Peccatum Mihzamiz
- played out of order last due to exit in E1M3; played though twice, first with the no-yellow-key exploit first, second "as intended" but with a broken monster closet 
- one closet (sectors #240-245) has tendency to break, not always though so maybe it's something I'm doing weirdly
- door (sector #190) has markings indicating both red and yellow but opens with only red key, making portion of the map with yellow key skippable

- do the sides of teleports in the zombiemen ambush room were supposed to be actual sky or just walls with sky textures 90s style? (might be artistic choice)
- cool Romero sector art at the end :)

===

E2M2 Crate Distress Ludi and Mr. Freeze
- sides of yellow door (doortracks, lines #340 & #342) are tagged as a red door
E2M9 Mistress of Forestry Lina
- loled hard, good gimmick :)
E2M7 Vat-erinarian Centre Heich
- off-center floor flat on sector #274 (this is how this graphic looks like on default but the lack of symmetry in this corridor is jarring)
E2M8 Babel Rebuilt Late Night Person
- progres to yellow key room is not that obvious, maybe add a yellow marker in the back of computer
- a few lost souls in the final area might be nice ;)

===

E3M3 Hot Reception ManWithGun
- hard on UV, yes, other difs are implemented but dear god that's an oppressive map, especially when compared to other levels in the sets, like a "pocket slaughter" type than "mostly incidental combat no slaughter" suggestion; going for berserk is probably doable - had a few "almosts" - but feels like a bait or a mop-up solution for the lack of ammo; left the failed attempts in starting room in the vid to show how it went, same later on with invuln secret to yellow key room runs (this fight would've fared better if I didn't get crushed to single-digit hp earlier tough)
E3M4 Neo Kasyrgan Fun-E Personn
- evil eye partially stuck in wall (thing #384)
E3M6 Lost Bastion DFF
- exit leads to next normal, not secret level (were supposed to be forced) 
E3M7 Count's Labyrinth Scionox
- kind of miserable on blind (switch hunt/facerocket, the level) but at least doable (even if I save-scummed a lot)
- de Sade was a Marquis not a Count, petition to change a mapname wink-wink
E3M8 Chill Winds NecrumWarrior
- to a quote a classic, amount of lost souls is too damn high (but it is actually doable, so it's fine)
- on the other hand, free "almost automatic" pacifist on co-op/solo-net... too easy? or maybe cybies on co-op are too big of a meme not to add? ;)
E3M9 Forgotten Battlefield Scionox
- played last due to lack of secret exit in E3M6

Playthrough vids below...

Episodes 4-7 finished...

Playtesting notes:

Spoiler

EPI4 Death March (E1 in 2nd Compilation)
- would be kinda funny if the episode was titled "Death March (of Death)" :)

E4M9 The Chapel NecrumWarrior
- room with soulsphere is unlocked from the inside with a random unmarked wall (supposed to be switch texture?)
E4M5 Phobos Foyer Thelokk
- small misaligned texture near shotgunners alcove (around lines 0, 291, 292)
- missing texture at the stairs at lines #538, 571, 568, 565
- small misaligned texture near 5 corpses decorations (between lines 918, 919)
- tight with ammo, I accidentally forgot to pistol start and still ended up with barely enough
E4M7 Computer Core Blexor
- very pretty, very techbase, very long, very empty... might benefit from from braking the 200 monsters rule or maybe sprinkle it with Lost Souls (people will "love" me for this sugestion probably, lol)
- 30 secrets (for the 30th), some grouped but oof... also the drawing is awesome, it should be a bit more accessible :)

EPI5 Anomaly Asylum (E2 in 2nd Compilation)
E5M1 Asylum of Glowing Crosses Muumi
- berserk sitting in a natural hiding hole for punching... straight in the middle of a blockmap line, that's mean hehe
E5M2 Quarantine Zone Steve88
- two rockets near plasma rifle partially in the walls (things #93, #567)
- missing texture at lifts leading to armor bonuses (line #2241) and health bonuses (line #1398)
- missing texture at the raising bridge for yellow key (line #3112)
- not technically a mistake but the yellow doors (sectors #148 and #183) would feel better if they were opened from both sides
E5M3 Untitled Cyberos Leopard
- is "Untitled" the title or a placeholder?
- line #512 tagged as yellow door, leads to nowhere (outer wall)
- path to unlock chain of secrets starts from a one-time teleport (line #1301), not really mistake but a bad habit, especially since without the secrets the map is stingy on resources
E5M5 Voltaire Quarry LoneAlpha2401
- Yellow Door (sector #188) near RL is not marked with any yellow indicators, not technically a mistake but might be nice for clarity 

EPI6 Fever Dream (E3 in 2nd Compilation)
E6M1 Spawning Pools Scionox
- ammo issues, especially since there's a "door with health" blockade, went full on baiting infighting in the beginning areas otherwise it might be Baron punching without berserk
E6M2 Red Skull Rock Walter Confetti
- missing textures at the disappearing bridge, visible when player skips a segment
E6M3 Thy Tissue Masticated Chuckles_Troll
- invisible inescapable death pit where the blue key is (sector #73), raised by nearby switch... trap by design? It also produces the infamous "illusio-pit" HOM (bonus clip after main run using DSDA where it's more apparent) 
- non-damaging lava just before exit (sector #103, plus the lowering bridge) 
- missing textures at the disappearing bridge, visible when player skips a segment
- bars in front of crusher are passable (player can walk through them)
- exit door sides (lines #226, #234) have red marble textures, doortrak would be better
- all doors and the crusher have unchecked "unpegged" sides
E6M5 The 666 Factor Late Night Person
- you can jump from soulsphere secret to the final area with SpiderMastermind, potential skip
E6M6 Tomb of the Cursed Tiramisu
- half of the map is optional?
- exit is normal not secret (were supposed to be forced)
E6M8 Dis-carded Storage Scionox
- not impossible but it's a really steep difficulty increase, savescummed hard
E6M9 Respawning Pools Scionox
- *deep sigh* I get the idea and in a sense along with E6M1 it's a good representation of the episode title but... urgh, savescummed hard

EPI7 Absurdity (Standalone Wad, Episode 2)
- I like the idea of apphabet areas, and since it's only a small part it's not as forced here as with usual when mappers make a word-wad :)

- missing bear in the intermission screen, or maybe - a wild idea, with umapinfo it's possible to add a custom entering/exiting screens etc... and I remember one particularly fitting pic of cheese covered pineapple on PUSS Discord that would tie in E7M5 and is "absurd" enough :)
E7M4 Unassuming Techbase NecrumWarrior
- broken monster closet with 4 pinkies (sectors #222, 223)
E7M5 Sweet Dreams of Pineapples and Cheese OverflowingMocha
- when I first read the title and author's name it seamlessly blended into one thing, "cheese overflowing"... chef's kiss :)
- decorative BFGs? (that we can only have sweet dreams of)... maybe that's a nice 90s thing but seems a bit wrong :/

E7M9 Rocket Overload OverflowingMocha
- broken monster closets with pinkies (teleport linedefs lead to sector tagged #2 and none is tagged)
E7M7 Terrorize and Command OverflowingMocha
- door to final area stays open, it seems like it should close and trap player for a bit after hitting the switch (or maybe I'm just not appreciating mappers generosity of "you can just leave" gesture)
E7M8 Infinite Serenity for All Eternity NecrumWarrior
- hehe, episode title clicked into place - nice homage... also it begs for a "...and Beyond" in at least ending text (it's og Doom screen at the moment) :)

Playthrough vids:

On 12/18/2023 at 12:01 PM, DemoGorgonZola said:

some playtesting notes for Ep 1-3 below...

Thank you! Fixed the monster closet issue in my map (plus the rest has also finally been fixed/changed)!

17 hours ago, DemoGorgonZola said:

- very pretty, very techbase, very long, very empty... might benefit from from braking the 200 monsters rule or maybe sprinkle it with Lost Souls (people will "love" me for this sugestion probably, lol)
- 30 secrets (for the 30th), some grouped but oof... also the drawing is awesome, it should be a bit more accessible :) 

-Not sure that even 200 more lost souls would fix the issue lol. Actually, I'm pretty sure that I counted the lost souls in that map as part of the final total, since I figured that I had to. The way that I saw it, a map with only 50 monsters but 500 lost souls would be against the spirit of the rules. It wasn't until later that I learned this wasn't the case.

I considered releasing a stand-alone version of this map with no 200-monster cap. Might still do that, not sure. It just uses the stock resources, after all.

-The 30 secrets are more of a self-imposed challenge / because I thought it would be funny, rather than something I expected players to find or be overly useful. And that whole drawing is tagged as being visible on the automap from the start, so anyone curious enough to open the map should see it. Glad you liked it, though. :)

On 12/26/2023 at 8:01 AM, DemoGorgonZola said:

Episodes 4-7 finished...

Thank you for playtesting my map, it's very much appreciated.

34:30 So the idea behind the hurt floor blood area was to try and give the player a difficult choice: limit one’s movement to the platforms while juggling monsters; or have free movement while continuously taking damage. Maybe I should have blocked the player from being able to go back to the start… but I don't think that settles with me, oh well.

34:52 I’m quite sure I’ve corrected the mistake regarding the yellow door/exterior wall (I moved a door), but maybe I am misremembering. Thanks for highlighting it.

38:00 The one-sided teleport to the nested secrets is/was deliberate: my thought process being that if one makes a mistake, one cannot get all of the secrets. I’ve personally never worried about getting 100% secrets the first time around, but if you'd like, I could change that linedef :)

41:32 Oh, I have left some default Eureka textures. Thanks!

Finally, yeah, I’ve been struggling with a name (I’ll ping DeathBear after this), and the stingy resources is my way of trying to make the hard difficulties... hard, but not overbearing or requiring the player to have precognition on encounters. I could add a few extra pieces of ammo if you’d like?

Thanks again.

Alright, with that amount of playtesting, I think that covers the major stuff we need to do to get this baby to RC1. I'm going to allow some time for some critical updates. Please have those to me no later than a week from today (January 4th, 2024). Here is your final major update. Please check over your work in the update and double check to make sure I'm up to date on your work. 67 is a lot of maps, and I'm trying to keep track of everything. LMK if I missed anything. I have two credits for music that I need to reach out for.

If I missed your credit for playtesting, I apologize. Please lmk so I can properly credit you.

Beta 3 (Google Drive)
EDIT: Just provided a hotfix with a map update and UMAPINFO fix (12.28, 25 mins after posting this.)
Second Edit: I managed to break nearly every episode ending with the UMAPINFO, but it appears to be working now.

This contains (should) all current updates to maps, as well as the FULL VERSION using UMAPINFO for full play in supported ports. It contains all 7 episodes, and a 4-map prologue, which also contains a credits map. There're a few minor things we may need, but most everything should be good.

I'm planning to move to RC1 the weekend of the 6th, with a week window for any more last minute and critical updates before uploading to idgames the January 13th weekend.

Congratulations to everyone for making PUSS' celebration of Doom's Dirty Thirty such a fun time! We're almost there! Let's get this finished up!

Edited by Death Bear

23 hours ago, Death Bear said:

Please check over your work in the update and double check to make sure I'm up to date on your work.

OK I've just checked my map (Soul's Journey's End) and that's all good on both wads. Also had a quick poke around the wads to see if anything unexpected happened. Only thing I've found is the Absurdity WAD doesn't have the custom titlepic picture. Everything else seemed to work as expected.

One thing is I got confused with is which WAD is which? I ended up running Absurdity first (maybe I just misread the readme).

Maybe just a bit near the start of the readme something like.

UMAPINFO ports

D30.Full.wad - All Maps plus Prologue EP8 (or is it 1?)

Non-UMAPINFO ports

D30.comp1 - Episodes 1 - 3

D30.comp2 - Episodes 4 - 6

D30.Absurdity - Episode 7

4 hours ago, NeilForshaw said:

OK I've just checked my map (Soul's Journey's End) and that's all good on both wads. Also had a quick poke around the wads to see if anything unexpected happened. Only thing I've found is the Absurdity WAD doesn't have the custom titlepic picture. Everything else seemed to work as expected.

One thing is I got confused with is which WAD is which? I ended up running Absurdity first (maybe I just misread the readme).

Maybe just a bit near the start of the readme something like.

Sweet! And good call. I'll make it clearer. Thanks for the suggestion, Neil!

Bumping this thread to remind all mappers that RC1 is closely approaching, so please have any critical updates to me in the next two days, so I can apply them and get this release thread started this weekend! I know I'm still waiting on at least two mappers that have reached out to me, and we now have a name for our previously untitled map! If there's anything you need me to handle for you, please let me know asap.

Hopefully just in the nick of time here! Fixed some broken joined sectors and a missing texture - link