Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Misty

Snow Wave (Christmas Community Project)

Sorry to intrude, but I've been making some snow textures based on the original Doom ones, mostly snow borders in old textures with the occasional extra touch. Would this be something you might be interested in? I'd been doing it mostly for fun but with the clear goal of making snowy variants for most of the original Doom graphics and also some extra ones. Album with screenshots of the current version of graphics for now as to not clog up the thread.

3 hours ago, Smiling Imp said:

I also played through this. good fun. I don't know if I was missing something but there did not seem to be an actual exit? just the sign.

Spoiler

Gotta drink the coffee.

4 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

Sorry to intrude, but I've been making some snow textures based on the original Doom ones, mostly snow borders in old textures with the occasional extra touch. Would this be something you might be interested in? I'd been doing it mostly for fun but with the clear goal of making snowy variants for most of the original Doom graphics and also some extra ones. Album with screenshots of the current version of graphics for now as to not clog up the thread.

Yeah, it could be included as extra resource if people need it. 

3 hours ago, HiRon said:

I'll give this project a shot, count me in!

Sure, let me update list real quick. 

16 hours ago, Death Bear said:

Reveal hidden contents

Gotta drink the coffee.

ahhh i could have sworn i tried this! sorry, and thank you.

I got burnt out on this after the first couple days of working on it, so I'm gonna post a screenshot here so as to light a fire under my ass.xmasmap.png.13f7d1c8ad72c81a598dab345365e91e.png

Feel like I should add some screenshots as well. work has been kicking my ass, but mapping is coming along steadily. Trying to keep it moody, but also jovial and cozy. Will post more screenshots later down the line.

Spoiler

image.png.d30b723982a4af759274e83ad9ad03cf.pngimage.png.99c80be9b1a86d77f2b2b59d896a8403.png

7 hours ago, Plerb said:

I got burnt out on this after the first couple days of working on it, so I'm gonna post a screenshot here so as to light a fire under my ass.

No rush, there's still plenty of time. If you lack inspiration, you could play something else and see if something clicks inside to keep working on level. Even taking small break helps to sort things out and see things in different eyes. It looks like promising start, if help needed I could try provide some guidance. 

6 hours ago, HEXWALKER said:

Feel like I should add some screenshots as well. work has been kicking my ass, but mapping is coming along steadily. Trying to keep it moody, but also jovial and cozy. Will post more screenshots later down the line.

I love mood in this level already. Can't wait for finished map!

I'm pulling out of the project, since there's something I want to focus on more and also get a good chunk of it done by the end of the year. Good luck to the others.

@M4rsh I playtested your level as promised yesterday. I enjoyed it pretty much, but there are some things I'd like to suggest:

• I feel HMP skill could use slightly more ammo. Placing some ammo and shell boxes around first couple areas could reduce ammo starvation and make playthrough more enjoyable. 
  • This sprite won't be much of trouble in hardware, but in software mode it bleeds into upper area. I'd say slightly expanding area or readjusting sprite could do the trick.
    Spoiler

etrn797.png?ex=65789385&is=65661e85&hm=1

• I also think, that some sort of indication that switch area is revealed could be nice and it would help with navigation. You could employ that with light tricks, spawned in health or armor bonuses or texture changes. 
    Spoiler

etrn798.png?ex=6578944b&is=65661f4b&hm=9
    etrn799.png?ex=6578944b&is=65661f4b&hm=5

@slayer's I also played your map. It was really easy and fun, but I also would like to suggest some things around.

• Placing some obstacles around the sides would give clear clue that they are not supposed go further. You could also place rocks or boxes and lights on it. Other suggestion would be lower floor and reveal some small rock cave with goodies inside. Possibilities are endless.
Spoiler

etrn801.png?ex=657898d0&is=656623d0&hm=8

• I also want touch starter area again - you could spruce it up with some rock stuff around, that would reduce some emptiness around. 
  • Is level not having key is intended? Just curious, because it's quite rare to see level without any locks around. 

18 minutes ago, Misty said:

@slayer's I also played your map. It was really easy and fun, but I also would like to suggest some things around.

• Placing some obstacles around the sides would give clear clue that they are not supposed go further. You could also place rocks or boxes and lights on it. Other suggestion would be lower floor and reveal some small rock cave with goodies inside. Possibilities are endless.
  Hide contents

etrn801.png?ex=657898d0&is=656623d0&hm=8

• I also want touch starter area again - you could spruce it up with some rock stuff around, that would reduce some emptiness around. 
  • Is level not having key is intended? Just curious, because it's quite rare to see level without any locks around. 

Thanks for the feedback, I now have my own idea for the start of the level and for the key 

but first I have to upload my video to a wad

Edited by slayer's

November is almost over, how's progress with mapping those who joined? As for myself, I'm still collecting energy to create gothic snowy level, I plan start soon. If any help needed and playtest, please hit me up. 

1 hour ago, Misty said:

November is almost over, how's progress with mapping those who joined? As for myself, I'm still collecting energy to create gothic snowy level, I plan start soon. If any help needed and playtest, please hit me up. 

Im in a graduation trip rn so i can't work on doom 

Things are going well ! Almost half the way done. I will share some screenshots very soon, the map take place in a some sort chocolate factory, with doomguy who have to come home for the christmas night !

If I have managed my time well, I would like to make a second submission, a map that would be some sort of homage to The land of the damned from serious sam the second encounter.

On 11/28/2023 at 2:21 PM, Misty said:

@M4rsh I playtested your level as promised yesterday. I enjoyed it pretty much, but there are some things I'd like to suggest:

• I feel HMP skill could use slightly more ammo. Placing some ammo and shell boxes around first couple areas could reduce ammo starvation and make playthrough more enjoyable. 
  • This sprite won't be much of trouble in hardware, but in software mode it bleeds into upper area. I'd say slightly expanding area or readjusting sprite could do the trick.
  • I also think, that some sort of indication that switch area is revealed could be nice and it would help with navigation. You could employ that with light tricks, spawned in health or armor bonuses or texture changes. 

I have updated my map according to your suggestions.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20231130_205711.png.cd2e1b3df26fa3f6c0143a93ed200488.pngScreenshot_Doom_20231130_205742.png.e0abbcd67fbee6872c61d360562a9afb.png