Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

The DWIronman League dies to: Rowdy Rudy's Revenge

Cat 1. Died on MAP07. Handled the start really poorly and it all went downhill from there. Considering a scare on MAP05 where, had I spent even a tenth longer in waste, I would've died, this was a really good result in the end.

There's a funny moment I think in the middle of also MAP05 where I twitch my mouse really fiercely. Someone threw... well, what I imagine is a very powerful firecracker on the street. Startled the living daylights out of me.

Will get on with the leaderboard and the Ironeagle tomorrow.

dwironman_dec23_naza.zip

Dead: Map02

Category: 1

Time of Arrival: 3:34

Time of Death: 4:00

Kills: 5/58

Port: DSDA-Doom 0.27.2

Demo: noisy_rwdyrudy_ironman.zip

Tough set, very unforgiving.  Cool though.  E1 - KDitD but low resources?  Not very friendly to those with face-plant forward gameplay tendencies, but I liked what I saw - albeit, my stay was brief.

Category: 1

Dead on: Map 01

Kills: 10/41

Time: 2:24

dwi_pegleg_rowdyrudyrevenge_cat1.zip

Ah, it's like No Sleep for the Dead again, in that pretty much everyone else progressed very far into the set and I died on the first map! Oh well, it's been awhile since I was at the bottom. Anyway, as for the mapset, I don't have a lot to say. I'm horrible at punching things to death (even with berserk), so the Tyson opening didn't bode well. From the short run I had, it seemed like Doomkid wasn't aiming for health starvation. What I saw of the aesthetic was fine. I can't speak much to the encounter setup, although it didn't seem unfair. Interesting choice for DWIL.

Category: 3

Dead on: Map 01

Kills: 39/41

Time: 6:39

dwi_pegleg_rowdyrudyrevenge_cat3.zip

Ah, but not like No Sleep for the Dead, because this time I still died early in my prepared run. Oh well. My highly-developed dodging skills and inability to hit the broad side of a barn proved my undoing. Having seen most of the first map this time, I like the setup. It's fair, but not overly so. There are still enemies coming at you from a variety of directions, so you have to move and stay on your toes. The ammo isn't plentiful, but it doesn't seem unreasonably tight, at least early on. The aesthetic looks nice. It's clean and not overly detailed. I might take another shot at this set on a lower skill level.

Ironman_rwdyrudy_hc.zip

Category 1, Dead on MAP05 with 167 kills

Spoiler

Early on, getting careless and falling meant being pushed forward by the damaging ooze & having to dive into the room in a crazy and fun battle. But in the final room, the pit seems to have been lethal instead. Ah well; I shouldn't have panicked and slipped in the first place.

The zombie & cacodemon variants filled unique niches in the low-tier roster, and I appreciate how each was given a proper debut and had their abilities clearly demonstrated so the player could adapt. I quite enjoyed the first half of this set, and will be sure to go back with saves to see the rest. Thanks for selecting it for this month!