Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raith138

1k1k project (CLOSED)

Isn't a project from a few mappers, still a community project? Especially since you're asking for volunteers? 1024 maps are fun to make, and i might have been up to it, but after you abandoned the CP you started in september (30 Sectors), when you had me and a bunch of other people mapping for months, only to close it at the end. Not cool, man. I don't get why you want to do this to yourself, what's so cool about leading a project without having the knowledge to do it? For me that only adds unnecessary pressure of not letting down the people who map for you.

7 hours ago, Sneezy McGlassFace said:

Okay, let me get this straight. 

You decided to start working on a megawad but you don't want to do all the work yourself, so you want people to do the work for you, correct? And it's not a community project, as in one person makes a map or two, you want everybody participating to make a good number of maps for you, correct? 

You expect people to put a lot of time and effort into your idea, despite you not having proven that's at all warranted. You left your map slot in Paint It Doom CP for lack of experience by your own admission. I don't wanna be too mean but what exactly makes you think this is a good project idea that will see the light of day? If you have a hard time finishing a map, maybe deciding to make a megawad is punching a bit above your weight. I wouldn't say a word against that if you were to try on your own but I don't like the idea of stinging others along for a doomed project, no pun intended. 

You wanna do a megawad? Awesome, more power to you but you do it. Nobody's gonna do it for you. And it's unfair to expect that to happen. 

I left the slot in paint it doom multiple months ago and that project was totally different. The way mapping works traditionally is completely different then paint it doom where you are dealing with solid colors. Second, I learned my lesson with 30 sectors which is why I only want a few mappers cause it makes it more manageable. I was thinking for something more like 100 line massacre or sunlust. Those were made by two people, right? But they were not community projects. I have also learned a lot about mapping in general since both things happen. I also meant to post some completed maps but I forgot so I will do that now.

To me it's even stranger how there's already the 1k x 1k CP thats finished up, that you also participated in, to want to copy the project essentially but not make another "official CP"  

I don't get it honestly.  

I can understand wanting a few fellow mappers to join a more themed project, but when the 1k x 1k cp isn't even that old to do the same thing is just weird.  

And, in hindsight, 30 sectors failed because of overambition. When I started it I did not understand the commitment it takes to run one. I also didn't have some basic knowledge which now I do. I do not want to be known as someone who starts something they don't finish but is it really fair to judge something someone is going to do over what they have failed at in the past?

1 minute ago, Treehouseminis said:

To me it's even stranger how there's already the 1k x 1k CP thats finished up, that you also participated in, to want to copy the project essentially but not make another "official CP"  

I don't get it honestly.  

I can understand wanting a few fellow mappers to join a more themed project, but when the 1k x 1k cp isn't even that old to do the same thing is just weird.  

... There have been many of these in the past.

1k1k copied this from others. This is not a new idea but I want to make something that refines it. If I don't get participants I will make a 10-20 map wad and call it a day.

8 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

... There have been many of these in the past.

1k1k copied this from others. This is not a new idea but I want to make something that refines it. If I don't get participants I will make a 10-20 map wad and call it a day.

Eh, I don't have a huge history on this site, the 1k x 1k CP is still fresh in my mind.  Doing a quick search didn't come up with much, if you wanna point me in the directions to find the many other same space restricted map sets then cool.  Some stuff popped up but nothing specifically 1k x 1k that wasn't alresdy the CP in question. 

I know most doom maps are inspired or dirivitive of each other, that's not an issue.  But you named your post/wad the exact same... Like, it's just weird to me.  

I think your pfp picture already predicts where this is headed.

7 minutes ago, Treehouseminis said:

Eh, I don't have a huge history on this site, the 1k x 1k CP is still fresh in my mind.  Doing a quick search didn't come up with much, if you wanna point me in the directions to find the many other same space restricted map sets then cool.  Some stuff popped up but nothing specifically 1k x 1k that wasn't alresdy the CP in question. 

I know most doom maps are inspired or dirivitive of each other, that's not an issue.  But you named your post/wad the exact same... Like, it's just weird to me.  

That wasn't going to be the name. I had not come up with one yet.

Congestion 1024

Claustrophobia 1024

Wow you guys are some fuckin pricks

I love this community.

2 minutes ago, JackDBS said:

I love this community.

O_O

20 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

If I don't get participants I will make a 10-20 map wad and call it a day.

I think just this would be a challenge enough, honestly. It feels to me that you're really underestimating how much work is required to make a megawad. If you manage to make 10-20 maps wad, that would be a great achievement. The 32 map sized project is deprecated concept, especially when you're targeting MBF21 with UMAPINFO right there. There's no good reason 32 maps should be the default, other than "that's how it's always been." If you can make a 10 map set that doesn't feel like a random jumble of maps, I will shut up and encourage your future wadmaking efforts.

32 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

I do not want to be known as someone who starts something they don't finish

Good reason to make shorter and more focused project, instead of a megawad.

33 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

is it really fair to judge something someone is going to do over what they have failed at in the past? 

Sure, "past performance is not indicative of future results," but the problem is that it kinda is, actually. You should be able to show people the quality of your work to help them decide whether they should invest the time and effort to join you. Imagine somebody put weeks' worth of work into the project, and then you leave it for dead for one reason or another. Like Treehouseminis said, that already happened before.

I'm not being a dick for no reason. If I'm being unreasonable then I'll take the L no problem. But there has been a ton of similar threads that essentially boiled down to "I had an idea, somebody make it for me," and that's just not right.

23 minutes ago, JackDBS said:

I love this community.

Hehe, you get used to it after some months.

They have a point, i totally understand it, but people here tend to express it in the most obnoxious way possible until a moderator comes and closes the thread. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Sneezy McGlassFace said:

I think just this would be a challenge enough, honestly. It feels to me that you're really underestimating how much work is required to make a megawad. If you manage to make 10-20 maps wad, that would be a great achievement. The 32 map sized project is deprecated concept, especially when you're targeting MBF21 with UMAPINFO right there. There's no good reason 32 maps should be the default, other than "that's how it's always been." If you can make a 10 map set that doesn't feel like a random jumble of maps, I will shut up and encourage your future wadmaking efforts.

Good reason to make shorter and more focused project, instead of a megawad.

Sure, "past performance is not indicative of future results," but the problem is that it kinda is, actually. You should be able to show people the quality of your work to help them decide whether they should invest the time and effort to join you. Imagine somebody put weeks' worth of work into the project, and then you leave it for dead for one reason or another. Like Treehouseminis said, that already happened before.

I'm not being a dick for no reason. If I'm being unreasonable then I'll take the L no problem. But there has been a ton of similar threads that essentially boiled down to "I had an idea, somebody make it for me," and that's just not right.

I already closed the thread and have decided to step back from a megawad.

So next time you make a single mistake when you are new to a topic and enthusiastic I will make sure to assume everything else you do will have that same mistake. I really don't understand your point there. I opened this thread asking for help and instead I am getting ripped apart.

I was never asking someone to make it for me...

So I've been on this forum for a while and the one thing I learned about doom wads are threads announcing upcoming projects asking for help without proof of concept are almost if not always doomed to failure. It's happened thousands of times during my times on these forums and is so common there's a phrase for the OP.

Raith138, before you announce your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Trust me, it still haunts me to this day seventeen years later.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DankMetal said:

Hehe, you get used to it after some months.

They have a point, i totally understand it, but people here tend to express it in the most obnoxious way possible until a moderator comes and closes the thread. 

If they have a point, they don't need to say it in such a bastardly way. If you don't have anything kind or helpful to say, can it. People like @Sneezy McGlassFaceand @OniriA don't need to straight up mock Raith's older maps or his pfp as an act of perceived self-superiority. Btw, Sneezy, he did have a concept, but I guess you didn't notice it. Shame on you both.

Well that was fast

But 

25 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

Raith138, before you announce your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

This is right

if you want to do Something big like a MegaWad you need something, if you want to do Anything, only say "i want to do a Project" and Explain yourself step to step

(idk the people seems to express himself negative if they dont have Something to work with) [idk if i write that right]

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MeriMemesX said:

(idk the people seems to express himself negative if they dont have Something to work with) [idk if i write that right]

The original post has 3 maps already done, but it was removed. I played them all and they were good in my opinion so guess what? I joined the damn project. If I hated them I would've said nothing. 

Just now, JackDBS said:

The original post has 3 maps already done, but it was removed.

oh... well i'm sorry

bye bye

How long will it take for this to be closed?

I bet pretty soon.

28 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

How long will it take for this to be closed?

I bet pretty soon.

You can just report the OP yourself and request a thread lock. Waiting for the mods to lock the thread is just making their job harder.