Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Half-Life 2 vs. Doom 3

I agree. Vehicles would not fit DOOM 3. I like Single Player and Multi Player games.

Fredrik said:

Well duh.

;P

I was just saying that I don't favor one over the other. He was saying fuck all the SP haters....

StRiKeR said:

I was just saying that I don't favor one over the other. He was saying fuck all the SP haters....

That wasn't actually aimed at you specifically - it was more like a general rant aimed at a few people I've come across on the internet which I found excessively boring and annoying. I just had to let off some steam.
I'm sorry if I went too far and got pissed off at ya. Well, seems we're in agreement on vehicles and Doom 3, so let's keep it at that and move on to other things a'ight?

StRiKeR said:

You can bash HALO all you want, but the fact remains the it has the most addicting multi-player gameplay I have ever experianced, and when it comes out on the PC this summer it will own you and you life..:-) As will DOOM 3 and Half-Life 2.

Halo's not a bad game, but it's not great by any means. And its multiplayer isn't addicting, it's just the best the Xbox has to offer. If I had to explain that to 3 million people, I would have to go to about 50 million elementary schools and crack houses. Just because you think it's great, doesn't mean it, in fact it's probably not. Now, I might be wrong about this, but last time I checked CS was the most played mp game, making it the most addicting apparently.

I've seen both the Halo2 and HL2 videos, and to tell you the truth, Halo2 looks like it sucks balls. I'll admit its pretty, one of the best looking games I've ever seen. But since you want to talk about game play, it sucks. I didn't see anything I've never seen before in a FPS in it. HL2 also looks pretty, and does add a whole new level of environmental and character interaction to the table. Doom 3 looks very, very pretty and it's an entirely new way to play from the first person. Of course, I could be wrong, (unlike you who knows how all three of these games will turn out) because after all nobody has seen more than game play trailers from these games.

So yeah, that's my whole take on what you have to say.

Zoorado said:

If you're talking about core clock speed, yes. However, if you're talking about speed in terms of performance, no.

I'm talking about performance. The benchmarks don't lie. The two processors practically go hand in hand in the latest tests. How can you even start arguing that? This is what has been said at Tomshardware:

The AMD Athlon XP has lost further ground; its current flagship model, the XP 3200+, can only manage a performance somewhere in between those of the 2.6-GHz and 2.8-GHz Pentium 4.

I've seen the exact same thing on many other benchmark sites as well.

StRiKeR said:

If you don't like vehicles in FPS's then you obviously haven't played Halo. Before the rants about halo sucks starts, tell that to 3million XBOX gamers who bought it. I guess I am just an old school gamer. The DOOM alpha ran at 5fps on my comp :-( Though it was very cool.

There is this thing called opinions. I tried HALO. It wasn't fun...rather annoying IMO. And what does X-BOX and HALO have to do with old school gaming?

Not a dam thing. Obviously 3 million XBOX gamers though Halo was "fun". Halo blows away most all other FPS's. I can't imagine why it won so many awards and was called the greatest console FPS of all time if not the greatest FPS period if it wasn't "fun"......How did it win game of the year? The only FPS that can compare to halo's greatness in my mind are classic DOOM and Serious Sam. Halo wasn't about mega cool scripting. It was the combat that was so dam addicting. Not to mention the graphics. Then there's the multi-player which I won't even get into because I could go on forever. When Halo comes out on the PC and I can finally play online, its gonna halt any work that I am doing. Not to metion Halo 2 and DOOM 3 and Half-Life 2. How am I supposed to get any work done :-/

dsm said:
Plus, the environment in Doom 3 is not at all fitting for using vehicles and then I might add, that vehicles would feel totally un-doomish. Doom was about trudging along in those narrow corridors, listening to the inhuman screams and fearing for your life - vehicles would totally screw that feeling.
Case in point: NO vehicles in Doom 3. End of story. Period. [/B]

My point wasn't that Doom 3 shouldn't have vehicles (I agree with you, it would spoil the atmosphere) - my point was that if a mod had to use vehicles, they shouldn't immediately go to Half Life 2 because vehicles could probably be coded into Doom 3.

ToxicFluff: how do you turn spec. highlights off?

StRiKeR said:

Not a dam thing. Obviously 3 million XBOX gamers though Halo was "fun". Halo blows away most all other FPS's. I can't imagine why it won so many awards and was called the greatest console FPS of all time if not the greatest FPS period if it wasn't "fun"......How did it win game of the year?

None of that makes it a good game.

gatewatcher said:

None of that makes it a good game.

Nice selective quoting there. He also stated that the gameplay is addicting and that you can have endless fun with the multiplayer, which certainly qualify as reasons for it to be a good game.

Fredrik said:

Nice selective quoting there. He also stated that the gameplay is addicting and that you can have endless fun with the multiplayer, which certainly qualify as reasons for it to be a good game.

Yes, they do. But that's just him as an individual, that's not what I'm getting at.

gatewatcher said:

Yes, they do. But that's just him as an individual, that's not what I'm getting at.

And your opinions aren't individual?

Please.

Fredrik said:

And your opinions aren't individual?

Please.

They are... And that's the point, because he and his three-million-man army think "halo will own us all" that doesn't make it true, and it doesn't make it a good game.

gatewatcher said:

They are... And that's the point, because he and his three-million-man army think "halo will own us all" that doesn't make it true, and it doesn't make it a good game.

Once more,your idiocity begets you. Just shut up already. You tell me what makes a good game? 3 million ppl buying it don't make it good? Well buddy, before I buy anymore games I will be sure to ask you what you think of them.......

StRiKeR said:

Unlike you, I will not judge them untill I sit down and play them.

You already have. Many times infact.

gatewatcher said:

It goes on and on. I guess I am the only one who bought Halo. Go read the reviews buddy.

xbox.ign.com
gamespot.com

2 respective gamesites. That give halo the highest praise. Now read them and tell me some more crap...

gatewatcher said:

You already have. Many times infact.

And so have you with Halo...

I will make you a deal man, you get a xbox so I can own you online in HALO with XBConnect. The I will get CS and you can own me. Hows does that sound?

Then we will both be satisfied

StRiKeR said:

Now read them and tell me some more crap...

I don't have to, you're covering that and the bad trolling nicely. I don't think I have to make much more of a case anyway.

gatewatcher said:

I don't have to, you're covering that and the bad trolling nicely. I don't think I have to make much more of a case anyway.

Well I rest my case. If you read those 2 reviews you will see they give Halo the highest praise. I am not gonna say nothing else about it.....

Doom 3 looks very, very pretty and it's an entirely new way to play from the first person.

I don't quite get how it's an entirely new way. Doom3 looks absolutely awesome to me, but not amazingly innovative in any other area than the graphics. From what we've seen, it seems great, but doesn't look like it has any radically new approaches which are gonna re-invent the genre.

I agree, but will still buy it because it is DOOM and because it looks so freakin awesome!

Doom relies more on stealth rather than shooting your way through, at least from what we've seen. The HL2 trailer suggests interaction is the way to go, and Halo2 looks like it's just a shooter.

I agree, but will still buy it because it is DOOM and because it looks so freakin awesome!

From what I have seen, DOOM3 is gonna be all graphics and no gameplay. I mean comeon,the enemies have such high poly counts that theres no way you will see 5 of em on the screen. Even with bump mapping. Half-Life 2 will own DOOM 3, and HALO 2 will own them both. If I wanna play DOOM, I will play classic doom....

Well that was my view at the time, untill I actually played it. LOL,guess it all goes back to not judging a book by its cover. Hey, I am human ain't I....

Surely ain't E.T. :-P

Hey, it's just a matter of personal opinions. If 6 billion people thinks that Halo is the greatest game ever, it doesn't mean I have to share their views. I might think that Half-Life is better than Halo, just like Extreme Paintbrawl is better than Half-Life. And I need no substantiation, cos it's a matter of preferences. No point arguing over that.

gatewatcher said:

Doom relies more on stealth rather than shooting your way through, at least from what we've seen. The HL2 trailer suggests interaction is the way to go, and Halo2 looks like it's just a shooter.

What??? Doom 3 relies on stealth? Where the fuck did you get that weird idea that Doom 3 is about stealth? Please tell me that you're telling a porky pie. Where the Hell are all the silenced weapons if Doom 3 is about stealth then?

On top of that, I couldn't disagree more, judging from what I've seen: Doom 3 has plenty of action. You barely get into the game before you're assaulted by four or five zombies at once who occasionally get back up at you after you've downed them - when you finally get away from them, you'll have to hide from a bigass Hell Knight, because you only have your wimpy pistol (but that doesn't automatically mean that Doom 3 will be all stealthy - it just means that you have the option to hide in the shadows, later on you can take on this big fucker with your shotgun or rocket launcher).

The action that I saw in the E3 2002 demo kinda exceeded what I experienced in Q2, because Doom 3 has a lot of narrow spaces where there seems to be enemies behind every corner or door (I've noticed that Q2 doesn't really throw as many enemies at you as it actually can). Furthermore, most of Doom 3's enemies seem much more ferocious and dangerous than what I've previously seen in an iD game, which automatically gets the adrenaline higher up.

And consider this: You haven't seen the full version of Doom 3 yet, so there's no telling if you won't end up experiencing true non-stop action most of the time in the game, even if the game can only display five enemies on-screen at once.

As for the level of interaction, take a look at the "interaction" thread. Judging from people's comments, I'd assume that Doom 3 isn't lagging too far behind HL2 in the interaction area, if it lags behind at all.