Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Squonk

DOOM II demos [-complevel 2]

nice run, couple of the BFG shots in the demo are very satisfying.

Looper, j4rio, and blue cultist all uploading demos on the same day, what a treat

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Yousuf Anik said:

Map 01 UV-Tank in 1:13

d2m01tank-113.zip

Hey, FYI, this and your next demo (and the Nerve map 9 Tank demo) are empty zips; at the moment, the forums are having an issue with uploading demos due to space constraints. Please do not delete your local copies of these demos and repost them later.

(EDIT: should be fixed now, please make a new post in the two threads with all the demos if you still have them; or you can edit the attachments as long as you do it before the demos from the past six hours end up on DSDA)

Edited by 4shockblast

Now that's a great stroller! I've also been attempting this map once in a while. I did about 1500 attempts and kind of gave up (the chaingunners are such a pain). I tried every damn strategy except this. Had I realized this, I think I could've done it. But I never realized this one idea: Leading the imps away from that underground room. I knew the door could be opened. It just never occurred me to open the door and lead them away from that room one by one. I had such chaos in that room when I let the shotgunners there with three imps to open the other route away from the room. Can't believe I didn't understand this. Sometimes I even left the room the other way, but not before I unleashed all the required monsters in that small space and got the blue armor (and lost a lot of health almost always). Anyway, you got some really good luck with the end phase! Kind of funny how many hits you took and still survived. I can only imagine the nerves when walking that rising bridge with 2%. I wouldn't have survived the end. It seems you use a lot of backwards walking. It's a skill I need to add to my strolling. I'm not sure I have really used it since my first stroller where cyber rockets were a threat. I have to investigate its advantages.

13 hours ago, slowfade said:

Now that's a great stroller! I've also been attempting this map once in a while. I did about 1500 attempts and kind of gave up (the chaingunners are such a pain). I tried every damn strategy except this. Had I realized this, I think I could've done it. But I never realized this one idea: Leading the imps away from that underground room. I knew the door could be opened. It just never occurred me to open the door and lead them away from that room one by one. I had such chaos in that room when I let the shotgunners there with three imps to open the other route away from the room. Can't believe I didn't understand this. Sometimes I even left the room the other way, but not before I unleashed all the required monsters in that small space and got the blue armor (and lost a lot of health almost always). Anyway, you got some really good luck with the end phase! Kind of funny how many hits you took and still survived. I can only imagine the nerves when walking that rising bridge with 2%. I wouldn't have survived the end. It seems you use a lot of backwards walking. It's a skill I need to add to my strolling. I'm not sure I have really used it since my first stroller where cyber rockets were a threat. I have to investigate its advantages.

Thanks a lot for your comments !

I did put a lot of attempts in this one, probably more than 5k.

During these attempts sessions I also tried many different strategies. In the end I was even ready to go for a super long strat, in which I would spend 4 or 5 minutes in the starting room to have every hitscanner near the blue door infight and die. I would also lure out the six imps from the underground traps to take the green armor, the 5 stimpacks and then the supercharge.

But even this way, I would take a lot of damage on the way to the red key.

I tried both routes, either the imps dark corridor, or the little door next to the blue armor.

I finally chose a combination of those, which was taking the blue armor (which actually allowed me to survive !) and going back to take the imps corridor and the lift.

And of course, after the blue key it's just a matter of luck. I had 38 HP when I entered the last room, which isn't usually enough to survive.

I realized afterwards that I made the last room more difficult than it should be.

And yeah, taking the bridge with 2HP and cacos in my back was definitely stressful :) I spammed the use button like a mad man when the exit door opened haha.

Now, I'm curious to know what you guys think, but I'm probably done with Doom II Strollers. Though I would be extremely happy to see one of the remaining maps done. I haven't done practice sessions for all of them yet, but they all look bad.

I can definitely see some levels of Ultimate Doom filled though.

I think some of the remaining D2 maps will get done eventually but maybe not just yet. They're quite difficult -- but so were maps 3 and 5 a few months ago. Then again, something that seems impossible may have (and often has) patterns that actually make it doable, one just has to find the right strategies.

For quite a few attempts I went for the green armor (by just diving into the pit and trying to survive imps and chaingunners shooting at me). While I sometimes got out with relatively good health, then took the supercharge, then went underground and towards the dungeon section with the zombies, the health and armor never were enough. Skipping the blue armor is going to require insane luck. I guess someone will do it in 2030 but not me. Heh.