Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rizera

The amazing "identify that Doom song" thread.

Gonna try again...

Here's this midi i once found in the mid 00's on a site where it was listed as a midi from the Alien movies (it's not), later i found it had been used on an old wad from 2002 called SlayeR.wad as the intermission music. I'm curious if anyone knows anything about this midi since i have no idea if it's based on a movie, game or if it's an original midi

Alien.zip

On 2/1/2024 at 1:54 AM, DMPhobos said:

Gonna try again...

Here's this midi i once found in the mid 00's on a site where it was listed as a midi from the Alien movies (it's not), later i found it had been used on an old wad from 2002 called SlayeR.wad as the intermission music. I'm curious if anyone knows anything about this midi since i have no idea if it's based on a movie, game or if it's an original midi

Alien.zip

I don't recognize it, but have you checked if it is from one of the Alien videogames for SNES/Mega Drive?

5 hours ago, Dynamo said:

I don't recognize it, but have you checked if it is from one of the Alien videogames for SNES/Mega Drive?

I'm familiar with the music of the snes/mega drive alien games. It's not from there sadly

On 2/1/2024 at 12:54 AM, DMPhobos said:

listed as a midi from the Alien movies (it's not)

Just for fun I made a video of it and uploaded it to youtube to see if I'd get any copyright claims, and I did... for "Alien Theme" by Warner Chappell >:(

edit: replaced the video now that I have a match. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJJ4CvJI_Hw

It definitely sounds like video game music of some sort but beyond that I have no idea.

edit: is this you? https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=1053645#p1053645

Edited by plums

56 minutes ago, plums said:

It's from Metaltech: Earthsiege.

Oh wow that's it, you got it!!. No wonder why i couldn't find anything about it since it's unrelated to anything Alien related (wonder how it got identified as such for a long time), interestingly after looking up the music, it seems there are many variants of that music ingame.

Amazing, thank you for identifying the source!

10 hours ago, plums said:

@DMPhobos Got it! It's from Metaltech: Earthsiege. No yt video of just the soundtrack, but here's a longplay where you can hear it briefly.

https://youtu.be/egUowJ-QP9E?list=PL9E501F1FA8F6EBCD&t=264

The game was released as freeware in 2015 fyi.

Nice catch! How in the world did you find that one? You just happen to be a massive Earthsiege fan?

Btw, you can find the soundtrack for Metaltech: Earthsiege on khinsider.com. It's track 15.

Edited by Gregor

9 hours ago, Gregor said:

Nice catch! How in the world did you find that one? You just happen to be a massive Earthsiege fan?

Never played Earthsiege. I got kind of invested in finding out what the track was though, and it sounded very much to me like a mid-90s PC game midi, which limited the scope of its source to something maybe findable, as opposed to just a random midi made by someone. So I did some detective work.

I have a whole lot of midis on my computer, in particular from here: https://archive.org/details/video-game-music-90000-midi-files

-First I checked the file against my midi library for an exact file match (using Linux command-line tools, took about 30s to actually type in and ~10 min to run). This came up empty.

-Then I searched a bit for things like "alien midi", "alien theme midi" etc., and after not too long came across this version. Being a PC game rip it was quite likely that there are multiple files that differ slightly but are the exact same track. (Often PC games had music in a midi-like format that needs to be converted, and so different conversions will produce different byte-specific results.)

-That new file did have an exact match, as a Donkey Kong Country 3 midi (but not actually), called "dkc3undr.mid". That lead me to that ZDoom forum post above which saved me having to look through DKC3 music looking for what song it was, and knowing that it was made no later than 1996 basically confirmed my thoughts that it was from a PC game.

-I still didn't have the actual source, but the second file had a bit more text info in it -- all the channels started with [FG] in the channel name, followed by the instrument.

-Searched my midi library again for other tracks that had [FG]. Came up with midis from two games: "Command: Aces of the Deep" and "Trophy Bass (1996)". Those obviously weren't going to be the game it was from, but let's look them up... aha! They were both developed by Dynamix. That couldn't be a coincidence.

-So then I looked through the list of Dynamix games starting at 1996 and going backwards, for any game that sounded like it might be space/sci-fi/military/etc. and have music like that. Earthsiege was not too far down that list, and I did have midis for it in my library, and it didn't take long for me to go through them and find it.

9 hours ago, Gregor said:

Btw, you can find the soundtrack for Metaltech: Earthsiege on khinsider.com. It's track 15. 

Is that the right site? khinsider.com is a Kingdom Hearts fanpage.

9 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

interestingly after looking up the music, it seems there are many variants of that music ingame.

Neat, I'll give the rest of the tracks a listen, I just skimmed through them and stopped when I found it.

While I have the stage, I'll repost my own white whale of Doom midi searches: the music from MAP02 of Rylayeh.

Some discussion from when I asked last: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1576825

render of the midi on yt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytm-4HAi-o4

Edited by plums

@plums Impressive! That's some proper detective work indeed.

That midi archive is also very neat. I'm often in the need of finding the identity of some obscure midi for various wiki articles. Thanks for that!

And khinsider is a well-known website for game soundtracks. https://downloads.khinsider.com

Does anyone knows who's the author of this MIDI, how it's called, and where it was used?

I listen it for a couple of days non-stopping, it motivates me mapping and so I want to know who's this genius who wrote this masterpiece.

I remember extracting it from some megawad in march 2023, it's called D_Runnin2, so I guess it was from MAP15, but from which MAP15 - that's the question...

D_RUNNIN2.zip

UPD: The mystery is solved, it's James Paddock - Ocean of Truth.

Thank you, Jimmy, for your wonderful music, I'll be sure to check out all of your other work too!

Edited by Vanilla+Unicorn