Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord FlatHead

First DOOM III screenshots

It is different from what I expected but ....... damn they look good.

the image with three zombies

God DAMN this is what large groups of enemies look like in Doom 3 ;-)

Damn... the pics don't look as saucy in high-res... model contours get too obvious :E

Heh. I could be mistaken but it looks like that guy was taking a wank in the rest room...

Looks like the shadows on monsters and such ARE hard-edged. I'm glad to see it doesn't reduce the kick-ass visual quality of things, though. Can't wait to see this stuff in motion.

gatewatcher said:

why does everyone dislike trent?

Because we find that the Quake1 soundtracks sucks bigtime - most the sounds used in the music sounded artificial, like he could've done them in midi or something.
And then there's my personal music taste which just about everyone else disagrees on, but I don't like if a music track sounds like a damn ten second loop throughout +three fucking minutes - that's more or less what Quake 1's soundtrack sounds like to me. I prefer music to actually have a real melody to it instead of just a bunch of thrown together ambient sounds with some sinister background "humming".

/me goes to work on Doom wallpaper

Dear God, I love all that blood in the Bathroom pic. And to think, this is all dynamically created as the body is dragged over the floor... I want to let loose with a double-barreled shotgun on that trio of zombies and see the walls drip with red vino. Yeah.

well, i dont disagree with you, i definately like high quality music. did you like sonic mayhem and their q3 work? well i am hoping trent will top that for sure. i like trent and i think that we can expect a huge improvement from the q1 music. i say we can expect an improvement because look at this game so far! its awesome! i dont think carmack will let a piece of shit soundtrack ruin it...

gatewatcher said:

well, i dont disagree with you, i definately like high quality music. did you like sonic mayhem and their q3 work? well i am hoping trent will top that for sure. i like trent and i think that we can expect a huge improvement from the q1 music. i say we can expect an improvement because look at this game so far! its awesome! i dont think carmack will let a piece of shit soundtrack ruin it...

Ok, now I'm settled down a bit, I'd like to say that I'm sorry for being so damn intolerant - I'm upset about a number of things right now, just forget what I said before.
Next, I liked Sonic Mayhem's work on Q2 although I found that the music lacked some ambient tracks to give the overall soundtrack some variety, but Q3A's, nah, not really. Some of the tracks had action, but seemed too artificial and some of the other tracks (dunno if they were also done by Mayhem - there were two musicians doing the Q3A score) sounded too monotonous, just like Q1's sound track.

Look into some of the ambient tracks in RtCW and add something that sounds more evil and deep and you'll be near something I like. My faverite ambient track in RtCW is definitely the one which kicks in halfway through both of the catacomb levels - love the atmosphere in it.
Bah, I don't even know if Reznor wouldn't compose something good this time that even I would like, but whenever I see the name Trent Reznor, I automatically hear Quake 1's (imho) horrible "excuse" for a musical soundtrack inside my head and I get one of these fits of the willies.

Now now, let's keep the music issue out of this thread. Start a new one and call it : "Return of the Music Thread part 4 : Nobody Cares".

Yeah FlatHead, please cut all the music related posts in this thread and put them in a new one with that title if possible. Otherwise, delete them (including my two and this garbage).

FlatHead said:

QUOTING IMAGES = NO-NO[/b]
Looks like the shadows on monsters and such ARE hard-edged. I'm glad to see it doesn't reduce the kick-ass visual quality of things, though. Can't wait to see this stuff in motion.

Actually, I don't really like the fact that they're hard-edged.
Can't they make the ends of the shadows look softer, as if they were fading out??

Disorder said:

Actually, I don't really like the fact that they're hard-edged.
Can't they make the ends of the shadows look softer, as if they were fading out??

Can they? Sure. Would they? No, not now. Why? Because most people don't have the hardware necessary for real-time soft shadows. I'd expect soft shadows will be integrated into the engine eventually.

It's an interesting graphics problem and there's a bunch of solutions to it, but apparently Carmack didn't find a way of making it work fast and flexible on today's systems. But hey, I'm sure it'll make it into the next engine or something. And as you can see, somehow the shadows on the world ARE soft - which makes a huge difference.

I loved Michael Kamen's job on Event Horizon, too bad those Orb idiots overlayed the worst techno shit on earth on top of some good parts.

I have the soundtrack on CD and it's fucking brilliant. I listen to it when i'm just playing episode 1...

Anyway, I'm disapointed by these shots... they look more like resident evil than doom.

Suck.

I like the screens so far (I'm downloading the quicktime-movie right now), but I also don't really taste Doom when I'm looking at these screenies. I seriously doubt if I had a Doomtaste in my mouth if the demons looked more than the demons from Doom 1 and 2.

It's just not the same ol' Doom.
But that was to be expected. I'm happy as long as it gives me a feeling of absolute terror :)

Oh and... I wanna see some corpse-art!!!!!
Dammit, if there's no corpse-art, I'm gonna be pissed off.

So, did anyone see the movie yet?

You who are disappointed by the screenshots, consider two things:

* The game is still waiting for 1.5 year of additional work, which means technology may evolve and even design be improved

* Those pics basically just show off characters. And characters are always the worst part of computer graphics. This applies even to movies but definitely and in the first place to games. Environments simply look more realistic. And these shots hardly show off any environments at all. It might be a different thing when we see leet architecture and level design interacting with the lighting engine :)

Please take a look at the bathroom scene for proof. The demon is not all perfect, but the rest is almost photorealistic.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the bull demon has eyes under the shadows - I remember seeing the pinky in the "illegal" fire scene movie and I noticed that it had glowing eyes in that video (it looked pretty much like it).
So my guess (and firm hope) is that the new pinky has eyes which "light up" when it goes into "aggression mode", but are dark and lifeless at any other time.
That would seriously rock if that was the case imo.

dsm said:

I have a sneaky suspicion that the bull demon has eyes under the shadows - I remember seeing the pinky in the "illegal" fire scene movie and I noticed that it had glowing eyes in that video (it looked pretty much like it).
So my guess (and firm hope) is that the new pinky has eyes which "light up" when it goes into "aggression mode", but are dark and lifeless at any other time.
That would seriously rock if that was the case imo.

Yeah that would rock

some info about pinky :

"Another appears to be a revision of the original Doom's pink demon. The front of this thing is almost wormlike and the back end is mechanical, and it rushes at you with violent force--it's really frightening"

zzz said:

some info about pinky :

"Another appears to be a revision of the original Doom's pink demon. The front of this thing is almost wormlike and the back end is mechanical, and it rushes at you with violent force--it's really frightening"

Gimme my db shotgun, and I'll put it to sleep :-P

Yo, Those are some "CRISP" ass screenies man. Good job! Now for my opinions. I was observing the background alittle more than anything else and I liked what I seen so far, Alittle to dark grey. And I hope all the spacestation levels don't look so dark and gloomy. I hope to see some brighter areas somewhere on those levels. I know the spacestation levels are "DOOMED", but there's no reason to make them all have the likeness of the "RESIDENT EVIL" mansion. To bad they had no variations on the former human characters. That bald character reminds me of "BIKER" from Q3A. The shadowing looks good, But It's no more important to me than the highly boasted "CURVED SURFACES" for Q3A. And for the "PINKIE" as ya'll call it............. GOT DAMMIT!! STOP CALLING IT A PINK DEMON!! THAT THING IS NOT THE CLASSIC PINK DEMON!!! id PLEASE, IF YA'LL READ THESE POST, PLEASE! EXPLAIN TO THESE PEOPLE, THAT CREATURE IS NOT A REMAKE OF THE PINK DEMON, BUT IT'S A "NEW" CREATURE FOR THE GAME!!!!! Pant..Pant...Pant..... OK,then, One more thing, Excuse me for seeming discusting but, HHOOTTT DAAMMN, THAT THE BEST LOOKING "BLOOD SMEARS" I'VE EVER SEEN ON A VIDEO GAME!! DAMN! THAT BLOOD JUST LOOKS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

One interesting thing that seems really exciting are the little lights that line the pathways (for example, http://www.doom3.dk/viewpic.asp?url=screenshots/ss20.jpg , where the demon is walking down the shadowy bricked floor with the yellow railings ). If I take Carmacks statement that lights can be placed dynamically all over the place, and that lighting pre-proccessing phase is gone, then all those little lights are dynamic. That's prety amazing-- there are at least 15 of those small lights in view. I wonder if they cast shadows too. I have a sneaking suspicion that they do. The implication is that scenes aren't really limited by the number of lights in them, but like I think Carmack implied, only by the number of overlapping lights... This is pretty amazing!