Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

A direct sequel to Robocop (1987), helmed by the original screen writer is happening

The Robocop from the reboot is a much better Robocop in altered carbon (than the reboot)

Before anyone gets prematurely excited, let's never forget that the original screenwriter for Robocop, who was also the screenwriter for Starship Troopers, in fact made a direct sequel to that movie, so I recommend you check this one out first!

Starship troopers was fine, however the 2nd film was not only trash but badly written/directed/acted trash.

I was going to comment that, however everyone has there off days I guess.

I'd strongly advise no-one watch starship troopers 2.

Neil Blomkamp made Chappie right? That movie was its own version of RoboCop. Then again that Aliens movie seems to have fallen through.

On 2/4/2018 at 10:58 AM, Liberation said:

Starship troopers was fine, however the 2nd film was not only trash but badly written/directed/acted trash.

I was going to comment that, however everyone has there off days I guess.

I'd strongly advise no-one watch starship troopers 2.

Which sequel are you calling the sequel? The one where they're stuck in a fort with no power and it becomes like a haunted house monster movie? The first one was a coming of age war story... that had bugs murdering people... the second one was a haunted house. I listened to the DVD commentary about that one and it was riddled with problems. Like how its red for the last 10 - 15 minutes, but red looked terrible on VHS and how Clancy Brown from the first movie was set to be the star of the movie, but he backed out to take some other role.

Wow there are now 5 of them. I've only seen the first 3. Wow and the same cast from the first one are still somehow in the most recent one.

Starship troopers 2 "The haunted house". Was a dreadful film beyond doubt. The 3rd film was watchable.

I thought the more recent films were animated! Have they dragged old cast members in for the dialog?

1 hour ago, Liberation said:

Starship troopers 2 "The haunted house". Was a dreadful film beyond doubt. The 3rd film was watchable.

I thought the more recent films were animated! Have they dragged old cast members in for the dialog?

The most recent one is animated and maybe the 4th one is too, but the voices are from the protagonists of the first.

The third was watchable, but I remember little about it other than they had T'Pol from Star Trek and one or more members of the original cast and the big mech suit assault at the end. It felt more like the original while the sequel felt nothing like the original beyond a propaganda to kick it off and finish it.

And this is how January's RoboCop thread became the Starship Troopers thread.

On 1/30/2018 at 5:29 PM, Johnatone said:

I'd buy that for a dollar! He's the kind of man we need in these chaotic of times. /offtopic

I haven't finished Frank Miller's RoboCop, the comic adaptation of the script he wrote for 2 that was largely butchered for what became 2 though I have it in a box somewhere. I still enjoy the second movie even if certain elements went a little too over-the-top and some of the subtlety was missing. After that though, ugh. But the reboot is one of the few times I walked out of a theater so angry I couldn't even speak. Everything about it pissed me off. So needless to say I'm keeping my expectations low for a new one. 

I love the art work in Frank Miller's original Robocop. It has some awesome biomechanical gore and destruction. It is unfortunate that they switch artists for the rest. I think the movie could benefit if it took some of the grittier elements from the comic book.

@geo To be fair any discussion involving a Paul Verhoeven film, will tend to stray towards Robocop/starship troopers/total recall. Due to the massive similarities, despite which film people were originally talking about. Adding Edward Neumeier in to the mix will definitely encourage that. 

Still, I'm going to be opened minded about the new film and will try and find these new ST films, think I saw one on sky/Netflix or somewhere!

EDIT: Since we are talking about ST3 geo, a funny story for you. My other half has fallen asleep both times we have watched the film, but always manages to wake up for the bit where the mech pilots are getting ready to enter the mechs and of course its boobs galore and every time I get accused of putting a shitty film on just to see tits...… 

On 7/13/2018 at 11:27 AM, geo said:

Neil Blomkamp made Chappie right? That movie was its own version of RoboCop. Then again that Aliens movie seems to have fallen through.

Which sequel are you calling the sequel? The one where they're stuck in a fort with no power and it becomes like a haunted house monster movie? The first one was a coming of age war story... that had bugs murdering people... the second one was a haunted house. I listened to the DVD commentary about that one and it was riddled with problems. Like how its red for the last 10 - 15 minutes, but red looked terrible on VHS and how Clancy Brown from the first movie was set to be the star of the movie, but he backed out to take some other role.

Wow there are now 5 of them. I've only seen the first 3. Wow and the same cast from the first one are still somehow in the most recent one.

I saw Chappie as a modern take on Short Circuit more actually,but I guess I can kinda see where it can be Robocop.

I was excited for Chappie until I saw the trailer full of gunfire and action, and I'm like "...ok I guess..."

4 hours ago, Spooner5020 said:

I saw Chappie as a modern take on Short Circuit more actually,but I guess I can kinda see where it can be Robocop.

Yeah, you're right it is Short Circuit. I suppose Robo Cop is fresher in my mind. Its been 20 years since I've seen either Short Circuit. I just saw police officer robots, ED260 and human consciousness uploaded into robot bodies. I also discovered that two of the punk stars in the movie are from a musical group in the region. Now that's a bold casting choice. Those characters seem to be the people playing them.

There was a documentary on the making of Robo Cop and how everyone read the title and said... nope. Including the guy that directed it. His wife read it and told him to do it.

The making of Robocop was rather fascinating, the whole Murphy death scene being like the Crucifixion of Jesus. At the tender young age in which I originally watched the film (and the TV edited version I must add) I didn't really grasp that concept, however these days I can see significance and the justification for one of the most brutal murder scenes in a film ever.

Murphy's hand and arm coming off are not in the tv version also O'neal's nasty death was also edited out.

I don't even recall Murphy being strung up like Jesus. I do remember RoboCop 2 where he's all in pieces and they decide to make him politically correct... for kids. The director wanted the death to be gruesome... don't kill him... mutilate him. Oh and if I recall the documentary correctly, they went with a "beauty actress" for Lewis and it was supposed to be a man at first. I heard elsewhere throughout the years that those two were paired up story line wise strictly because of their names. Lewis & Murphy and even Anne & Alex. That could be somewhere in comics or the TV show. I never watched the TV show, cartoon... made for TV movies or comic. Apparently, I am a terrible fan.

7 hours ago, Liberation said:

The making of Robocop was rather fascinating, the whole Murphy death scene being like the Crucifixion of Jesus. At the tender young age in which I originally watched the film (and the TV edited version I must add) I didn't really grasp that concept, however these days I can see significance and the justification for one of the most brutal murder scenes in a film ever.

Also the scene at the end where Murphy literally walks on water to confront Clarence Boddicker

@geo No it was just the idea of violent death/ resurrection and as Mr.Freeze pointed out, the walking on water that was the Jesus part.

I watched 1 or 2 of the tv shows, seem to remember a holographic Lewis in them. But I could be mistaken, its was a while ago. Not of a fan of comic books anymore so never checked them out.