Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

Doom divides gamers in open beta free trial .

I saw this the other day.

Even Senior BBC reporters are falling into the trap of thinking the multiplayer is all there is to the game and basing opinions around that.

I knew this was gonna happen when they went MP-focused for the beta campaign.

It's not even DOOM 4 anymore. The multiplayer is a mix of DOOM, Quake, Unreal Tournament en Halo. If they turn the running speed up i guarantee that Quake and Unreal fanboys will like DOOM.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

It feels sad to see a great game's Multiplayer fail like that, first Doom 3 and now this :/ .

Why didnt id make the MP code instead of Certain Affinity?

id should go back to the drawing board, and maybe have a Doom 1/2 DM among themselves just to freshen up their minds.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

It feels sad to see a great game's Multiplayer fail like that, first Doom 3 and now this :/ .

I'd hardly call it a failure. It's fun and still pretty fast paced compared to most MODERN shooters. Only problem is, PC version is probably screwed thanks to fake Quake fans.

Why is there so much emphasis on multiplayer when it has a strong single player campaign? Is id feeling pressure from modern gamers to focus on MP?

GoatLord said:

Why is there so much emphasis on multiplayer when it has a strong single player campaign? Is id feeling pressure from modern gamers to focus on MP?

That's what puzzled me as well. Since many weeks, all the focus regarding marketing is on multiplayer. Not a single thing (or close to nothing) regarding single player, snapmap etc. They marketed that before, and suddenly, it's all multiplayer.

To be honest, I expected to be able to at least play a single level in singleplayer during the beta, because - at least to me - first and foremost Doom is a singleplayer game.

I know I am repeating myself, but the whole Star Wars: Battlefront thing proofed that there is still interest in good single player games.

It will be interesting to see how Bethesda deals with the current situation. I guess they will go along as planned, and maybe even planned all along to switch back to marketing the single player closer to launch, but we will never know.

At the moment, I fear that next week most gaming sites will feature a story regarding the terrible reviews on Steam. If Bethesda is quick, they jump in and take the focus to single player by showing some awesome new stuff.

Then again I suck at marketing ;)

Multiplayer gameplay is much faster and easier to fix than a single player campaign. Think about all the junk maps that get into the 32in24 projects with very little changes after testing. The gameplay creates itself.

I think everyone is freaking out for nothing. I really assume what we're seeing right now is the casual mode of doom's mp, wich I feel skilled games have needed for awile. Every other skilled fps/tps the community shrinks, and shrinks over time because the average player (of said game) get's to a skill level where a new player has no chance, there needs to be a safe zone to introduce new players in a way that they can still have fun without worrying about shit on in the game. I assume that's why we've not seen an increase in player speed, it's just another factor that would hinder new players. What we're seeing now is almost a perfect environment for new/less skilled players.