I got this working several weeks ago but never got round to properly announcing it. Anyway, freedoom now has a proper playable IWAD! You can use this to play doom without an original IWAD.

Obviously, we dont have all the material yet so it isnt complete. Missing sound effects are replaced with a short "beep" (actually, a recording of the linux console pc speaker beep), and missing graphics are replaced with empty images. But it is playable.

You can get the wad here

Share this post


Link to post

When it is done, lets bug Quasar and Randy to make Freedoom.wad a reconized IWAD so you don't have to use -iwad or whatever.

Share this post


Link to post

What's the deal with the Shareware IWAD as of now?

Share this post


Link to post
Archvile64 said:

What's the deal with the Shareware IWAD as of now?

You can see the status of the shareware wad by looking at the build file for it. Everything in there which is commented out (lines beginning ';') is something which has not been done yet and is needed for a complete wad. As you can see the main things needed are levels, sounds and sprites.

Share this post


Link to post

Don't bother waiting for me to ever release my E1 replacement. I don't have that much time in my hands after all :(

Share this post


Link to post

Hm... okay, I will ask some stupid question now (sorry :P)
Will the shareware wad have the "original" ep1 maps? Or some new maps made for shareware Free Doom?.

Share this post


Link to post
Torn said:

Hm... okay, I will ask some stupid question now (sorry :P)
Will the shareware wad have the "original" ep1 maps? Or some new maps made for shareware Free Doom?.

Heh, I'm hoping it includes new maps...I already made an E1M7 so my guess is that it would.

Share this post


Link to post
Archvile64 said:

Heh, I'm hoping it includes new maps...I already made an E1M7 so my guess is that it would.


Heh, I have not started with my e1m6 yet. :)
But maybe it was a good idea to include new maps... so we get like 70-71 new maps (sound good I think) :P

Share this post


Link to post

The plan is to hopefully reuse the E1 levels in the full IWAD somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Insomniac said:

What's Freedoom?


Well, imagine being fated and having a free will at the same time. So, you could say freedoom is existence.

Share this post


Link to post
fraggle said:

The plan is to hopefully reuse the E1 levels in the full IWAD somehow.


You mean Romero's maps?

Share this post


Link to post

Heh, well that's what Torn asked 1st. But actually, wouldn't the "shareware" maps just be E1? I don't see why you need to make a shareware WAD... you just wan't to offer a smaller package for curious people to download 1st?

Share this post


Link to post
myk said:

Heh, well that's what Torn asked 1st. But actually, wouldn't the "shareware" maps just be E1? I don't see why you need to make a shareware WAD... you just wan't to offer a smaller package for curious people to download 1st?

The current short term aim is to create a complete version of the shareware iwad using freedoom resources. This gives us a fixed (and I believe achievable) goal. The wad will be totally original and totally free - its not shareware itself, just a "shareware wad" in that it contains the same resources as the original doom shareware wad.

Share this post


Link to post

So after the "shareware" wad we'd finish Doom 2, then go back and do the rest of Ultimate Doom, just adding the already completed E1 to it?

Share this post


Link to post

neat-o!

not to change the subject but what to you think of map03 (my map) so far?

hehe...

Share this post


Link to post

I already have plans to support freedoom, at least to recognize that its in use by looking for the FREEDOOM lump. However, if the IWAD is not standard-named, that is going to create extra issues. I'll have to verify that I can add "freedoom.wad" as an IWAD name and have it actually work :->

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

I already have plans to support freedoom, at least to recognize that its in use by looking for the FREEDOOM lump. However, if the IWAD is not standard-named, that is going to create extra issues. I'll have to verify that I can add "freedoom.wad" as an IWAD name and have it actually work :->


Sound great! :)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now