Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

Blasphemer 0.1.1 Released! Contributions Desired.

All those screenshots look very appealing. The green slime looks a bit off, but the atmosphere is great. Dark and oppressive.

And the duck is a rather comical little avian who fits the morphing role nicely. Go for the ducky!

I like the look of this. I may try my hand at spriting for this.

Has anyone tried the water splash in game yet? I spent a lot of time smoothly animating the frames, though I'm not sure if it will look good with the water flat. I made it a very light and pale blue. I recall the water flat having white ripples in it. I just want to know if it is the right shade. I don't have any WAD editing utilities on this computer.

40oz said:

Has anyone tried the water splash in game yet? I spent a lot of time smoothly animating the frames, though I'm not sure if it will look good with the water flat. I made it a very light and pale blue. I recall the water flat having white ripples in it. I just want to know if it is the right shade. I don't have any WAD editing utilities on this computer.

It looks good to me. The only quirk I notice is that the SPSHD frame appears to be made for when the drop hits the water, but it's appearing in-game as when the drop is descending.

A similarly-done lava landing splash or flames would be quite useful, as well.

For the chicken replacement I think that the duck wins, so feel free to make that if you'd like.

Regarding the slime flat, if anyone wants to do a replacement for that, feel free.

Patrick said:

Would something like this work?

Hard to say, given that it's much higher resolution than what the game needs and not animated, but it looks like a decent enough style of pattern to me.

The slime in heretic was greyish with a bit of green, but greenish or brownish slime would be okay too, I think.

It's not that the slime flat is bad it's just not used very well in the map. But since there is only one, I suppose if you opened up the graphics in Irfanview, lowered the gamma correction, and increased the contrast, it should look just right.

Various attempts I made at doing character sprites over the summer. None of them are done, most of them suck.

At the top is an attempt at a "painted" style golem replacement. Needs cleanup at the very least.
The hooded guy below that was a try at a player sprite. I'm actually rather fond of the look of the top half where it's more finished, but the animation looks like crap when it's in motion.
There's another attempt at the golem replacement in a more pixeled style. Highly unfinished and a bit weird in the ribs, but I like the evil grin he's got going on. The human in the horned helmet was an earlier attempt at a player design, but I decided it looked more like a Hexen fighter than a Heretic player, so I traded the helmet for the "executioner" hood from Warfare's idea and the cape, which look a lot more mage-ish.
The thing with the green "guts" mass hanging out of it was a discarded Disciple idea. I don't like it.
At the bottom are two iterations of Iron Lich attempts. The first one was painted and isn't that great, especially since his crystal mass looks like some crappy plastic UFO. At the bottom is the most recent thing, blocked out for a more pixeled style but very rough and with some inconsistencies between frames that I'm somewhat aware of.

In general,
A) I'm currently terrible at animation (and haven't had much luck finding good ref/pointers),
and B) I'm not that great at anatomy and perspective, either, but can at least practice those to some degree when I've the time.

Pointers/corrections are appreciated. I mean real useful crits, not just "X looks weird" unless you have some idea why so I can fix it. "X looks cool" is nice, but doesn't help much either, aside from maybe encouraging me to try some more at it.

I like the hooded executioner style for the player and the "pixel" style golem. You're work so far looks pretty good, but I'm not sure I can give you any pointers on improving it.

Is there an svn or some place with latest resources?

I have managed to get the wad loading with the the original heretic.exe, but it needs some manual marker editing.
You can make this vanilla compatible by just adding F_START directly under the "[flats]" marker and F_END under last flat. Same with S_START directly under "[sprites]" and S_END under last sprite.
4 extra lines in wadinfo.txt for compatibility.

I am hoping this can be vanilla compatible or a chocolate-heretic binary with limits raised made just for this. Similar to doom2+.

Last I'd checked, it "worked" on vanilla without any wad tweaks, I don't know why that would have changed. Doesn't deutex add those markers automatically? But the main problem with it is more that the maps (well most of them) aren't vanilla-compatible. I'll agree to not being terribly happy about it working mainly for ZDoom at the moment, but there's not exactly a great selection of Heretic ports, especially Heretic ports that don't suck.

There is no SVN as of now. There's supposed to be new stuff coming out soon, but Jute hasn't posted it yet.

How do I get this to work? All I get for every level is a small room called "NO MAP" with all of the weapons (the graphics of which don't even show up in my HUD). Episode 2 gives me a level but none of the weapon graphics work, and I shoot little smiley faces.

Mivalekan said:

How do I get this to work? All I get for every level is a small room called "NO MAP" with all of the weapons (the graphics of which don't even show up in my HUD). Episode 2 gives me a level but none of the weapon graphics work, and I shoot little smiley faces.

That is as far as it works, as the site says, it's not finished. For the other maps, warp to E1M3 or E1M7. The only weapons that have graphics are weapons 4 and 5, but for those there should be some.

Mivalekan said:

heh.

Stilgar said:

Doesn't deutex add those markers automatically? But the main problem with it is more that the maps (well most of them) aren't vanilla-compatible.

Deutex adds markers but SS_* or FF_*. Iwads need S_* or F_*. I managed to compile chocolate-heretic with the limits of doom2+ added. Seemed to not crash.

Catoptromancy said:

Deutex adds markers but SS_* or FF_*. Iwads need S_* or F_*.

Use the -iwad option, works for me with Deutex 4.4.0