Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon187

SIDERURGIA - Classic-Styled Doom 1 Map [/idgames]

This is a very nice E2-style map, labyrinthine and oppressive, with many secrets to unravel and nasty traps to thwart. The lighting and texturing are both on point, and each section of the map has a distinct feel to it. Good stuff!

Very nice IWAD-style map. I love seeing E2 the way id did.

One minor bug-type thing:

mAaowXk.png

Once this lift is raised, it can't be lowered again. I fell back down while returning to the shotgunner's alcove and got softlocked down in the lava. Feels like you ought to be able to press on the side of the lift to lower-wait-raise.

Once this lift is raised, it can't be lowered again.

I knew about this when making the map. I wanted it to be sort of a trap, so the player would be more careful. If it really is a big issue for other people I could fix it though

FDA, skill 4, DNF

I also fell foul of the inescapable pit Not Jabba brought up above, and for what it's worth I also interpreted it as an oversight rather than intentional design, coming here to report it at that. I've taken the care because it really is a very nice map (played it again to the end after this failed recording), rather claustrophobic and stuffy but in a way that feels totally natural and 'right' for the setting. Strong hook/intrigue with various secrets relating to yellow and eventually red skull keys. Quite recommended for Deimos fans.

On 1/28/2021 at 3:54 PM, Cacodemon187 said:

If it really is a big issue for other people I could fix it though

IMO think taking a lot of damage from dropping down into a lava pool could be a bit more fair than a slow death pit... I can't speak for everyone, but it's usually not worth it to frustrate a player to restart a level (especially a long-ish one like this) just because of a slight slip-up.

Alright then, I've uploaded an updated version. Now that platform has a Lift function, plus a few other minor stuff.

@Demon of the Well Thanks for the demo! The shootable button at the yellow key area is easier to activate as soon as you land on the platform that lowers. You have to be quick with that one. I appreciate you taking the time to give it a second try!

Bump!

I actually wanted to report a couple things, and why not take the chance to bring this back to the front while it's still not a year over, because it's a pretty nice map and highly recommend to og doom enthusiasts. 

Onto the little things:

- There is a potential softlock (aka inescapable death) in the north east area with lava, darkness and fireblu walls. The gargoyle-faced door that you first open to access the RK closes back once the walls start lowering to reveal the cacodemons and imps. This door is linked to a S1 lever and if you happen to fall into the lava and take the lift up, you can't open the door again, so there's no escape. I was confused whether that was deliberate or not, because the lift still functioned so it seems you can leave, but you're being fooled, which is still valid though. Maybe if it lowered to the bottom at the time of the trap (or better, when going to flip the lever, although you'd need to adjust the height to be able to jump across), one would get the 'inescapable' idea right away. There's no need to change anything anyways, just explaining my confusion. What I did notice was a switch next to the lift that raised it above the floors around and revealed HOMs on the sides, probably an oversight although it didn't break anything.

- Noticed a brick wall that required a BK, next to some red bars. There doesn't seem to be such key in the map, and the switch behind it has no actions, so not sure why is there. Also noticed an inaccessible closet with two medkits and an inoperable switch not far from there. The computer area map spoiled them and I spent a while looking around as I thought those were secrets. If you want to keep them, maybe you can hide the lines in the automap so to avoid confusion.

Thanks for sharing the map!

11 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

- Noticed a brick wall that required a BK, next to some red bars. There doesn't seem to be such key in the map, and the switch behind it has no actions, so not sure why is there. Also noticed an inaccessible closet with two medkits and an inoperable switch not far from there. The computer area map spoiled them and I spent a while looking around as I thought those were secrets. If you want to keep them, maybe you can hide the lines in the automap so to avoid confusion.

Thanks for sharing the map!

Yeah, I can remember seeing the stuff you describe and just chalking all that up to my bad secret-finding ability. The automap, whose location I don't remember, didn't exactly reveal much.