Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Matacrat

🟠 Blocked-Out! - A Boom 2 Community Project (37/37) ⚪

I really like the addition of the new grid colors.

Edit: Random map update. I had originally said in the readme that it would run in Crispy Doom but that's obviously a silly thing to say as it's a Boom format map.

Edited by HorseJockey

On 5/30/2023 at 6:55 AM, Biodegradable said:

@Paf Still a bastard of a map, but no longer unbearably so. Aside from one note I provide at the very end about one of the last fights, I think the map's just dandy now, fam.

Sorry, haven't gotten around to replying or uploading the fixed version yet. I've got it fixed now. Thanks for the (two) playtests.

@Matacrat - Updated version here. Uploading midi separately.

Here you go - a2.wad

Also, midi - I'm sure you know what it is, but it's just E1M5 from Doom because I really don't know what would fit, so here you go: M_E1M5.mid

Updated text document below

Spoiler

Map Name: a2 (I don't know what else to name it)
Author: Paf
Music and Composers: Suspense by Bobby Prince
Par Time: 10 minutes 
Map Description: Pretty basic map, not sure how to describe it. It's somewhat long in it's length, like ~10 minutes to finish if you're not 100%ing. Also, credits to Biodegradable for playtesting.
Map Screenshots are in spoiler below

Screenshots:

Spoiler

image.png.49d12524794f723e8e0f2ec547b8ee2d.png

image.png.0f0fb846fc854a03ef62849847fa49cd.pngimage.png.a4c762b8d228dd16add69d75660a80c4.pngimage.png.4e48ed57547bd9c51889e6d5f65c1588.png

@Matacrat not sure if this has been mentioned, but to get these maps to run on DSDA Doom we should specify Complevel -9, I was unaware of this as I don't do Doom speed running I just like watching runs so I've never really used DSDA. I had LadyMistDragon playtest and she couldn't get out of the starting room on my map running on DSDA and I'm assuming the complevel is why.

10 hours ago, HorseJockey said:

@Matacrat not sure if this has been mentioned, but to get these maps to run on DSDA Doom we should specify Complevel -9, I was unaware of this as I don't do Doom speed running I just like watching runs so I've never really used DSDA. I had LadyMistDragon playtest and she couldn't get out of the starting room on my map running on DSDA and I'm assuming the complevel is why.

Complevel 9 is Blocked-out's default complevel.
I don't know how LadyMistDragon must have gotten stuck. It works fine with the versions of Dsda-Doom I've tested.

@Zion Terrific map, fam. Everything flows together nicely, combat is varied and I didn't notice any glaring faults. Here's you video to review:

On 6/8/2023 at 4:09 PM, Zion said:

Map Name: 90 degrees
Author: Zion
Music and Composers: Super Mario Galaxy - Melty Molten Galaxy
Par Time: 2:30
Map Description: Explore this lava filled dungeon and follow the blue/red path to find 2 keys for your escape
Map Screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.1770b66d957a2faa542c4f6ae0836561.png

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fQPps36Ks09zr2nPilDnMh2LS9mtbnUL?usp=sharing

Just checking, is this intentional?
eP5h5k2.gif

A update for Mapper's Block

-Added detailing 

-Difficulty implementation

-Made the Zombieman fight harder

-The Cacodemon Cloud can now teleport into the map 

-added a "Exit Room"

-Cleaned up Automap

MAPPERSBLOCKREV1.zip

I FINALLY FINISHED MY MAP

Map Name: The Big Rig
Author: wumbo
Music and Composers: Shredded Beef, by yours truly. (wumbo)
Par Time: 20:00
Map Description: A large, yet linear map with little usage of light actors, however doesn't fail to have blandness nor lack of difficulty.
Map Screenshot:Screenshot_Doom_20230611_175408.png.48d3e52b61a98fef42e331b47036d275.png

Here's the link to the google drive file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ec9O2zbZ5E1GNq6H2g4ytHIkFO1Xv9Jq/view?usp=sharing

I can't wait to see the playtest for this one!

I made a few updates on my map, I think that might be the first and last
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fQPps36Ks09zr2nPilDnMh2LS9mtbnUL?usp=sharing

• aligned some textures
  • added a few lamps
  • removed Matacrat's jump skip
  • made the secret target lower when shot so it indicates it did something (thank you Biodegradable)
  • made easy mode slightly easier
  • made the blue key windows impassable
  • lava actually deals damage now

@wumbo The map starts off strong, if not quite cruel, but then it quickly breaks down with a myriad of missing textures, undefined level progression a lot of things appear to be straight-up broken. I'm sorry fam, but this feels very unfinished and needs a lot more work.

6 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

@wumbo The map starts off strong, if not quite cruel, but then it quickly breaks down with a myriad of missing textures, undefined level progression a lot of things appear to be straight-up broken. I'm sorry fam, but this feels very unfinished and needs a lot more work.

That's what I feared would happen. It might not be on my end, however it probably is. This whole map was a little rushed because I'm a professional procrastinator, so I guess I'll watch your playtest and tweak a bunch of things to make progression more straightforward, and fix those missing textures. Thank you for letting me know.

6 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Ok, so I've watched the playthrough and noticed the big issue with the missing textures. @Matacrat updated the textures a week or so ago to add black tiles and white tiles for flats and sidedefs. You need to download that and play the map with the updated textures. That's why a bunch of the textures are missing. Secondly, I realized that 2 of the 3 secrets in the map contain ammo that I found essential when I saw you become frustrated with the map. I should put more shells, cells, and rockets in the map, no doubt. I also noticed that the imps in the beginning were supposed to be crushed after you left the area via the teleporter, but I guess that just happened because you skipped the linedef or saved at the wrong time. On a more positive not, you gave really damn good feedback about telegraphing parts of the map so that others understand better than I did. I do feel as if I should tone down the difficulty a bit seeing how the map got in your skin, however that is a subjective matter. Thank you for the feedback, there are a few unexplained bits in the map that made sense to me but not you, and I should really fix them. I'm sorry for making a terrible map, I'll fix the problems in no time.

Hi, just wanted to give a quick update since I haven't been too active on DW; My map should be posted later today, I've just been sorting out the mess of scrollers along with minor last minute changes :)

Spoiler

image.png.f74e6e859bd6c842c4e8a009d6a6e2ea.png

i am now glad to unveil my map for this project.

MAP NAME: "Node Info Unknown"
AUTHOR: scientifikgenius

PAR TIME: 5 minutes
MIDI: Kraftwerk - Die Roboter
MAP DESCRIPTION: A strange UAC facility, covered in placeholders and pain. Good luck!

DOWNLOAD: NODEINFOUNKNOWN-SG-RELEASE.zip

Spoiler

1062050894_Screenshot2023-06-12135328.jpg.5734ee8ee45563547b0dcf2463957377.jpg

Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HJSu-dQvnuJVFR3Q6Zo9hvnOqyNuPBuy/view?usp=sharing
Map Name: uac_mine.bsp
Author: phoo
Music and Composers: Drywall by Gustavo6046 & Decino
Par Time: 13 mins (100% clear)
Map Description: A UAC mining facility overrun with baddies, get in there and clean house. Storm the front door, or find a different way in. Make use of the resources you find within. Delve into the mines, gather the ores, and blow up whatever's down there.  
Map Screenshot:

Spoiler

uacmine.png.51114b764dd3995d075e62bf3cc7048f.png

7 hours ago, wumbo said:

Matacrat updated the textures a week or so ago to add black tiles and white tiles for flats and sidedefs. You need to download that and play the map with the updated textures.

Oh thanks, fam. I didn't know. I'll update my copy of the file.

@scientifikgenius This map is elegant in its simplicity. The level progression alone is very fluid in the way each set-piece comes together as you traipse around. I didn't notice anything broken or wonky. Good stuff, fam. :^)

@phoo I think this one might be one of my top favourite maps! I really enjoyed the level design and progression along with the general theme. It's great fun. Maybe just a wee bit more ammo near the end? Just a smidge? Otherwise, everything looks ship-shape to me. :^)

20 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

@scientifikgenius This map is elegant in its simplicity. The level progression alone is very fluid in the way each set-piece comes together as you traipse around. I didn't notice anything broken or wonky. Good stuff, fam. :^)

thanks, yo. i gratefully appreciate it!

4 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

@phoo I think this one might be one of my top favourite maps! I really enjoyed the level design and progression along with the general theme. It's great fun. Maybe just a wee bit more ammo near the end? Just a smidge? Otherwise, everything looks ship-shape to me. :^)

Thanks for playing! I'm going to get some more resources added in :)

20 minutes ago, Matacrat said:

Found some Hall of Mirrors.

Hide contents

Oh... 

There was a visual thing that only worked in gzdoom's boom configurations. I'll get on that.

On 6/12/2023 at 11:46 PM, phoo said:

Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HJSu-dQvnuJVFR3Q6Zo9hvnOqyNuPBuy/view?usp=sharing
Map Name: uac_mine.bsp
Author: phoo
Music and Composers: Drywall by Gustavo6046 & Decino
Par Time: 13 mins (100% clear)
Map Description: A UAC mining facility overrun with baddies, get in there and clean house. Storm the front door, or find a different way in. Make use of the resources you find within. Delve into the mines, gather the ores, and blow up whatever's down there.  
Map Screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

uacmine.png.51114b764dd3995d075e62bf3cc7048f.png

Hi, I've updated my map, here's the new link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SqEylja7QLXCAnlkmWLRLl3c3pLVwQJ6/view?usp=sharing

I added some more health and ammo for the big fight near the end along with some minor texture alignments :)

Okay, @Biodegradable I've updated the map by using your advice. I hope you have also downloaded the latest resources for the textures, or a large amount of sidedefs and flats will be missing.

CHANGES:

- Better texture choices for certain points

- Extra ammo

- Pointers given to make the map less tedious

Most of the map's difficulty remains, aside from the extra ammunition.

LINK: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ec9O2zbZ5E1GNq6H2g4ytHIkFO1Xv9Jq/view?usp=sharing

P.S:

Biodegradable, will you test the map after the changes once more, or do you not feel like it?

3 hours ago, wumbo said:

Biodegradable, will you test the map after the changes once more, or do you not feel like it?

I'll test any map as many times as it takes for you guys to be satisfied.

4 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

I'll test any map as many times as it takes for you guys to be satisfied.

Ok, you just don't have to record it. Just give me the feedback. Thank you.

@wumbo Really sorry to end this second playtest on yet another DNF. Big improvements for sure, especially at the beginning fam, but the progression still remains unclear. After obtaining both red and blue keys, hitting all their corresponding switches and killing the teleporting armada, I'm just trapped in the switch area. I can't backtrack any further nor are there any more alternative paths that have opened up. What is the player supposed to be doing beyond that point?

This is an update to my map:
-Fixed all texture misalignments that I found
-Added a way out of the final fight.

Also, sorry for asking it like this, but since Biodegradable couldn't beat my map, I would really appreciate if someone could give feedback on my map

tony blockedout.zip

@Matacrat I update my map (two times) a while ago on the original post. You can download the newest version there. Cant wait to see this get release!

I’ve finished my map, but i’m gonna take time to modify certain elements first before I release it. From the rate i’m going I can hopefully release my map tomorrow with no major issues whatsoever. Looking forward to sharing it with you!