Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Matacrat

⚫ Blocked-Out Is Compiling... ⚫

Thanks, you found a bunch of stuff that I didn't see. There are a few things going on behind the scenes that trigger to early and allowed you to get into that secret room lol. That pesky imp, they have been giving me trouble. Honest thoughts on the ladders? I'm not averse to your idea about lifts as they ladders really are jank on GZDoom. On Woof! and PrBoom+ I don't have any issue the player shoots right up them, but I can't get them to cooperate on gz.

3 minutes ago, HorseJockey said:

On Woof! and PrBoom+ I don't have any issue the player shoots right up them, but I can't get them to cooperate on gz.

I'll see what I can do about this.

Also, Funny thing about the new uv-max switch, it's not really needed as the switches even when lowered still operate normally.
It's kinda like an unintended secret.
0lJUerM.gif

I didn't even think about that, because the line is still technically able to be activated. Is there a way to change a line special after the fact in Boom format, if not I might just leave it, it's kind of fun.

21 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Yep, thanks for all the feedback. I'll work more on the thing placement on difficulty and work on more balancing. Matacrat also had some of these issues, I suppose knowing where everything is in the map helped me when I tested it. Will also add more ammo and health on all difficulties. Might give the player a bit more rockets too since they seem to run out quickly. I think maybe I'll drop them a little in the archvile encounter.

I'm very stingy when it comes to balancing (as you can tell, to the detriment of the map) but I think it's better I just give the player a lot more so I can take it away little by little as they progress through. Thanks again, I will be giving the player some more health and ammo, on all difficulties. Still will have some deprivation, though.

Also just realized... the blue key wasn't being used as a light, I really did forget to make the blue key door a blue key door...

I'm really dumb. I'll fix that before I forget. Also noticed an area that never opened at the same spot, just didn't notice that when it went through testing. Will also fix that.

I'll move the health there outside, too. Thanks for going through (most of) the slog, even with all the balancing issues. I did actually test the map (contrary to what it looks like) but I have the hindsight of having made the whole map. I wanted the player to have to backtrack a bit to previous areas for more ammo rather than just handing it to them when they need it, so I'll add some surplus ammo in some early arenas too. That should help a lot. Also noted that the secret berserk was the only reason you managed to get so far without having to restart. I'll also move the RL on the lift in the one archie encounter to the side of the switch, under another lift. Those should be all the biggest changes in relation to balancing, besides just general health and ammo.

I also added a lot more changes on other difficulties. I've only tested UV and HMP (after updating) so far.

@Matacrat

Here's the updated map: a2.wad

1 hour ago, Matacrat said:

Also, Funny thing about the new uv-max switch, it's not really needed as the switches even when lowered still operate normally.
It's kinda like an unintended secret.

BAHAHAHAHA! I keep forgetting about that particular engine quirk.

1 hour ago, HorseJockey said:

I didn't even think about that, because the line is still technically able to be activated. Is there a way to change a line special after the fact in Boom format, if not I might just leave it, it's kind of fun.

You can probably use a voodoo-doll closet to raise/lower a sector so that they can't scroll off to the player once one of those switches are pressed, assuming what's happening is activating a scroller.

3 hours ago, Matacrat said:
3 hours ago, HorseJockey said:

On Woof! and PrBoom+ I don't have any issue the player shoots right up them, but I can't get them to cooperate on gz.

I'll see what I can do about this.

Done!
In regards to map edits, the linedefs touched by doomguy while climbing the ladder are tagged 471 so i could put a ThingthrustZ on em.
pfGNsns.gif

@Paf Still a bastard of a map, but no longer unbearably so. Aside from one note I provide at the very end about one of the last fights, I think the map's just dandy now, fam.

1 minute ago, Zylinderkatze said:

That accidental double (triple?) Archvile jump though! :0

Oh man, that was something else. Despite failing to replicate it, I'm glad it's caught on video.

I've updated the map according to your advice

-The stacked ZTRIGGER textures that signify the lift lowering are hard to see though at a distance. I'd reccomend applying Boom's transparent action (260) to them.

I wasn't able to do this, I was doing the map so it will work with basically anything, and I never used Boom, and with it, it's exclusive features

-I think any fullbright areas (value 256) should be darkened at least until fake contrast comes into effect.

I've lowered the value to 225, and I think it's good enough.

-The lava moat that guards the cave castle entrance needs to have 2 ways out (for both sides of the raised bridge) that isn't locked behind a secret.

I've swapped the bridge raise trigger, and basically the soul sphere is optional

-The border lava pit in the hellslaughter area should have more escape lifts near the cardinal points of the room.

I've added elevators where you might fall the most.

Anyhow, test this out, and tell me if anything else should be changed

SOTOW.zip

9 hours ago, Matacrat said:

I've just spotted a skill clipping bug with hmp during playtest.

Weird, I haven't noticed this one during my own playtesting. I'll fix it in a jiffy.

6 hours ago, Origamyde said:

@Matacrat Here's a fixed version of Clean Waters. Nothing too fancy, I've just made sure this enemy overlap doesn't happen again, and added slight variations to the Red Skull Area.

BlockedOutOriFIX.wad

Thanks for fixing!
Though, while playtesting again, I've found another example of a skill clipping bug also on hmp.
I've combed though the other skill difficulties, this should be the last instance of the bug in your map.
aAqVJqE.png

Alright, here's the (hopefully) FINAL release of clean waters.

Fixed this one skill clipping bug that remained (and which definitely escaped my grasp), and added some more things. That should do the trick.

BlockedOutOriFIXFinal.wad

Meant to post this like 2 weeks ago, but never got around to doing it. @Biodegradable, thanks a ton for playtesting! I'm glad you enjoyed my first attempt at making something slaughter-ish. I've made a couple edits to make progression more obvious and iron out a few bugs here and there. No big balancing changes, though.

blockedout_eater29_rev1.zip

Changes:

Spoiler
  • Raised the bars at the yellow key fight (That might have been the sickest triple archvile jump I've ever seen)
  • Two archviles in the yellow key fight are now multiplayer only
  • The teleporter out of the red key platform is now at a more accessible location
  • Some texture fixes
  • Added a bit of ceiling detail here and there
  • The switch that opens the exit now glows and is marked with an exit sign
  • Some other stuff I've probably forgotten
  • added a zombieman
  • added a smiley face

Hey @Matacrat, tried implementing your ladder fix but the only way I can figure it out is to apply ThrustThingZ in UDMF format. Is there a different way to do that? Just curious as it is something I don't know how to do.

Edit: Just to clarify, your getting credited whether I implement it or you after I post my map. I just would like to know how to do it if there is something I'm not thinking of 👍.

5 hours ago, HorseJockey said:

Hey @Matacrat, tried implementing your ladder fix but the only way I can figure it out is to apply ThrustThingZ in UDMF format. Is there a different way to do that? Just curious as it is something I don't know how to do.

Edit: Just to clarify, your getting credited whether I implement it or you after I post my map. I just would like to know how to do it if there is something I'm not thinking of 👍.

I also did the whole ThrustThingZ thing. However instead of converting the map into UDMF, I used LOADACS to apply the linespecials to the sidedefs. 

Here's all of what I've done to get the ladders working right.
Everything is Going to be Okay - HorseJockey.7z

Guys, i don't think can i do It in time for the hard deadline, sorry about that.

Anyway everything looks awesome!

4 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Guys, i don't think can i do It in time for the hard deadline, sorry about that.

C'mon, Walt, you can do it. I believe in you!

You got this Walt, I was personally looking forward to seeing your map. I have been purposefully not playing anyone's maps as I want the whole experience when of the whole project together. What needs to be finished on your map?

Everything is Going to be Okay Revision 4

This took longer than expected but I hope that the work that went into the map shows, I'm bugs will be found and there will be another fix up revision last min, but I think that this map is pretty much where I want it. Let me know what you think @Biodegradable and @Matacrat. Also huge thank you to Matacrat for the ladder fix, you didn't have to find a work around for that, but you did and I appreciate it. Bio, for playtesting. Can't say it enough, thanks.

Changes :

Spoiler

Map layout :

• Completely reworked the last room, it didn't feel right in rev1 and it didn't feel good in rev3. So it's gone.
  • Adjusted the pillar room to make the pinky fight feel better. One pillar has been removed and the bases have been lowered to allow traversal
  • Random height adjustments for floors to prevent skipping
  • Changed activation lines so that if the player goes down the left path first they can still get to the yellow card easily
  • Added non-secret/not tagged 128 credits room

Misc :

• Lowered the velocity on the midi track for folks that don't like the thumpin' beats. Seriously though, it was too loud.
  • Adjusted lighting throughout
  • Refined geometry, removing excess vertices where possible
  • Major aesthetic touch ups
  • LADDERS FIXED in GZDoom because Matacrat 👍
  • I really should write everything down as I change it...
  • And More!!
  • Edit: Matacrat for wad organization

Seriously there are allot of changes, and I should have kept better track but most of them are really obvious. 

Here be the file : Everything is Going to be Okay Revision 4

Well, I'm glad that you enjoyed it. But the level started to fall apart, a monster activated a line they shouldn't have and opened that portal to the end, which in turn opened doors that weren't supposed to open, releasing enemies that weren't supposed to be there yet lol. I'm going to have to bang out a bug fix but I really appreciate you giving it another go. For future reference for anyone else who plays the level, the ladders are fine now. You don't have to do anything special on GZDoom you can just hold forward and you will walk up them. 

I've updated the asset pack just now with the changes from Hamtex.
Hopefully nothing breaks!

5 hours ago, Matacrat said:

-Revamped Blood liquid flat
V06x2aT.png9REATsm.png -It's now consistent with the other liquid textures.

-Added Text5, a text texture handling more special characters.
f9YTlc3.png

-Added 3 new grid colors, yellow, white and black.
Expect more tones from the playpal to be added for future updates.
izcpFEX.pngPwqLHdl.pngaf2WClx.png
hSQps1I.png
y7vAjov.png