Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Naked Snake

Enemy and wall damage

Wouldnt that be cool? Slice a demon with a chainsaw and see chainsaw marks in its flesh, roast an Imp with a flamethower and watch its skin burn! Shoot a wall with a shotgun and watch the sparks and debris fly. That would make DooM 3 kick ass, also bloodsplatting on the walls, floors and ceilings...

Blood splattering will most likely be present. Clearly damaged models most likely will not. Though I too would love to see it, the intricacy of the models would suggest that it would take to much time to model, and the level of detail would prevent the use of decals on the models.

if theyre using bump-mapping it shold work out fine, opengl decals can do that

Blood splatting could be done with standard decals, altough texture projection could lead to some interesting things. As for decals for bullets holes and shit, they'll look very cool since the lighting calculations make them look a part of the texture and not a simple add.

It should be able to work that walls, but am I right in assuming that the character models will be too detailed to recieve the same "decal treatment" that the walls are able to?

Why not? It's the same stuff they're using for pixel-perfect decal placement on SoF II. If the decal shader contains a bumpmap or not doesn't matter at all.

True, but bullet holes are one thing, and ripped flesh from a chainsaw is another. Enhanced perforation (chaingun/shotgun), explosion damage(rockets), and deep gashes (chainsaw) seem too intense to be done with decals- no matter how good they look they still do not alter the physical shape of the model- which would seem necessary for such drastic damage. Granted, it's possible that none of these weapons will even be in the game, but the point still remains.

I think the question here is will the models be able to show damage and loss of limb (SOF) believably (unlike Q2's damage models, which was a great idea IMO) and accurately. I would say that the answer is no, at least not to such an extent. Though the hardware may be able to handle it, and the engine could be made to handle it, I think working on the system to make the damage look as realistic as the rest of the game (locationally and directionally accurate gashes and loss of limbs) would take more development time than id is willing to put into Doom 3.

I don't know. Real model tesselating is a no-no. It just doesn't work, specially now with all this hi-poly stuff going on.

Decals would be enough, if you ask me, since mos DOOM weapons don't really leave enourmous holes on these creatures. If we're talking about the consequences of a rocket hit, I'll say id should make a couple of extra models with certain examples of torned flesh and blasted torsos and stuff.

I don't think it's that hard to have pin-point decals over models. Actually I coded "on paper" something like that with a friend some time ago. The only problem is the skin, there are certain cases where a somewhat large decal will be rendered incorrectly because of the conservative nature of skins.

I don't think we'll see specific effect-engendered damage, it's just too much programming, too many random events to take into account. Just bulletholes, maybe three to five different events for -chainsawing certain baddies, etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing some damage happening to those skin walls in the hell levels. You could rip one open with your chainsaw and cause bleeding.

The gut walls could absorb rockets.

I would like to see weird things happen (these are demons, right?). Like if you shot a demon the bullets will simply just be like mosquitto bites, but as you use higher powered weapons like shotguns or a chaingun the demon would limp or hold a limb that's about to fall off or just die. Or if you nail it in certain areas internal organs like the brain or stomach will fall out. A cool idea would be like this; you have a chaingun, a demon attacks, shoot him/her in the gut, entrails fall out, demon staggars around leaving trail of insides and falls over dead.