Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'll just confirm that yes, for pk3 you just place your animdefs.txt in the root file (alongside the other text files).

Well, as usual for me, I start adding gameplay, and end up adding entire new sections. New sections require new textures, so on and so forth. Progress is slow, but I'm sticking with it. Is there a limit on dynamic light ents? I feel like I've asked that before.....

kgzdoom1_ss5.jpg

kgzdoom1_ss6.jpg

1 minute ago, kdoom said:

Well, as usual for me, I start adding gameplay, and end up adding entire new sections. New sections require new textures, so on and so forth. Progress is slow, but I'm sticking with it. Is there a limit on dynamic light ents? I feel like I've asked that before.....

No clue on dynamic lights but just wanted to say keep it up, this color scheme is so sick man!

Just now, prfunky said:

No clue on dynamic lights but just wanted to say keep it up, this color scheme is so sick man!

Thank you. To be clear, I have no intentions of using specmaps, heightmaps, etc. These are just higher res versions of some original doom textures, and a few I created from scratch to look like old doom textures. 54 textures so far. I still have an entire area to create, and the finale, so I expect I'll need more textures before I finish. 

I wanted to stay away from it, but I ended up using some small scripts here and there....I think since I decided to use them, Ill go back over the whole map to add some more scripting to objects and monster fight controls.

This game ceases to amaze me. I started tinkering with doom in 1994 on a dos pc running at break-neck speeds of 32mhz, and here I am in 2023 making yet another map for it. I just cannot get bored with it....awesome game!

This thread is so old, and the map isn't the same map that I started in 2018. I think I should start a new thread for this map....I'm actually going to finish this thing!

Admins, should this thread be deleted? I think it should.

58 minutes ago, kdoom said:

This thread is so old, and the map isn't the same map that I started in 2018. I think I should start a new thread for this map....I'm actually going to finish this thing!

Admins, should this thread be deleted? I think it should.

Ah nah; the default setting for sort order is "recently updated". I know because

I'm always changing the sort order to "start date" for my view of WAD Releases

and Developments. Keep using this thread and make a new one when you

finally release your work. People like me who are following this thread will get

updates no matter what. When you do a release thread, it'll pop better.

My 4 year old, 400 dollar, potato powered laptop is starting to strain on this map, so I'm working on the final battle area. I have a better PC to use, but I think by using this POS laptop to build with, will keep me in line for better performance. Just hit 1000 sectors. Should probably have made this two maps. I intended to make a small map to get myself back into it....yeah so much for that LOL.

Been playing some of the new releases from various mappers. I wanted to get an idea of difficulty levels that are common these days....holy crap I suck at playing! Some things never change HAHA.

I hope some people still enjoy an adventure map that doesn't have the players health and ammo at 3 percent all the way through....that has never been my style. I'll make difficulty settings that reflect this, but I'll make difficulty 5 in an effort to please those players that seem to be able to plow through crazy crowds of baddies with very low health and ammo.

My 19 year old son will do play testing for me, but I'll probably be looking around the forums for a playtester or two in the next few weeks.

On 9/20/2023 at 10:23 AM, kdoom said:

My 4 year old, 400 dollar, potato powered laptop is starting to strain on this map, so I'm working on the final battle area. I have a better PC to use, but I think by using this POS laptop to build with, will keep me in line for better performance. ...

6 hours ago, kdoom said:

Been playing some of the new releases from various mappers. I wanted to get an idea of difficulty levels that are common these days....holy crap I suck at playing! Some things never change HAHA.

I hope some people still enjoy an adventure map that doesn't have the players health and ammo at 3 percent all the way through....that has never been my style. I'll make difficulty settings that reflect this, but I'll make difficulty 5 in an effort to please those players that seem to be able to plow through crazy crowds of baddies with very low health and ammo...

I appreciate difficulty levels. I'm not a great DooM player but I don't totally suck either which is something

as I've always played keyboard only. Hell, I can't even comfortably 3d navigate my open level in DoomBuilder

using a mouse! Generally, I'll hook up Hurt Me Plenty on any map for the first time; it's only when I'm super

hyped up that I ever select Ultra-violence for my first playthrough. I don't like maps where the author has

turned the Can I Play Daddy? difficulty up to slaughterfest. At best, those maps will rot on my hard drive, at

worst, immediate deletion from said hard drive.

As for your ancient computer hardware, rest assured that I'm not playing or using any computer equipment

so new as yours...

Ok, I'm so out of practice with gameplay creation....wow. this map is so big, and has such an open layout. There are so many ways a player can complete this, and not have to even see the whole map. I intended that as a feature, but it definitely complicates the monster placement, etc. 

I'm going to make this a 2 or 3 map set, with this monster of a map as the finale. I started map01 a few days ago. I'll take some screenies soon.

This will be at least 3 maps. They will be incremental in size and difficulty. Map01 is going to be a castle-ish motif, map02 will be tech....map03 motif is yet to be decided. Heres a screenie of map01 start area.

kgzdoom1_ss7.jpg

So many things can be controlled and/or changed via MAPINFO...this makes all sorts of new nasty shit I can do to the players! Pistol zombies shooting rockets? Mancubus shooting chain guns? Lots of options. Haha this stuff is cool. Gonna slow me down a lot, just testing stuff....but I think I can brew up some fun and unique stuff. Also, I might go crazy and make this a hub style map set....never did that before, but I have some cool ideas.

This old dog is learning new tricks! Thanks to all the people that document this stuff, and help mappers here and the Zdoom forums. Kick ass community even after all these years.

On 10/31/2023 at 1:01 AM, boris said:

There's also the repository on Realm667 with lots of new stuff. Just be careful about feature creep.

I know better than to spam the odd features. Also, I would never change the monster weapons, but it's cool that it's possible. I want the maps to play like Doom.

Thought I would tinker around with outdoor terrain a bit....reminds me of quake1 mapping, using nothing but triangles and vertex manipulation. Coming along nicely.

Going to use a couple music files composed by @tamara mochaccina. Thank you for your work. Nice stuff. Credits will also be in the files I release.

Seeing some oddities in certain areas of the maps...it looks like the dynamic lighting is shading corners, but it's not a corner. If I make a curved wall, and place a light ent that will hit that curve, sometimes it makes the texture appear to be misaligned....of course I cannot see that in udb 3d view, so it has me scratching my head. I'll get a screenies of the issue in a bit.

Kurt Kessler? Your mapping series is near and dear to my heart, feels like it was only yesterday still I was playing through the KBooms in 2002 when I was 13. Fantastic screenshots!

On 11/18/2023 at 1:55 PM, Lila Feuer said:

Kurt Kessler? Your mapping series is near and dear to my heart, feels like it was only yesterday still I was playing through the KBooms in 2002 when I was 13. Fantastic screenshots!

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed those old maps. Hopefully this new thing I'm working on will be well received.

So, I think I've hit the limit of light entities? I really cannot find any info on a limit. I'm adding light ents, but they do not show up in-game.....this sucks.

Edit : nevermind that rant....skill settings lol...all is well!

Edited by kdoom : dumb mistake

Getting close to needing a playtester or two. Any takers? I don't want to post a WIP, so I'll be sending playtesters a copy directly. Strictly an up to date Gzdoom engine based map with hardware lighting. Software mode will be a very dark, boring looking map.

Completely new texture set, some of which are redraws of original Doom2 textures at higher resolution, some are new textures I made.

I'm aiming at a completed version by Dooms 30'th birthday.

I think I have this thing done. I'm just replaying it over and over now to find things I want to change or add. Probably going to upload it tomorrow. I'll start a new thread with the first release candidate.