Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xen0

Xen0 DooM - A Modern Classic Mod

2.png

What is this?
In short,  a mod to modernize and mantain the spirit of the old good DooM games:
I have selected all textures in order to mantain the vanilla style,
then i've applayed a spray paint look to all textures
to fit the original style (realistic textures on a low-poly engine is nonsense).
All sprites (over 5000!) adapted to the new "hd" style.
After that i've creted material maps (ao, normal, roughnes, metallic) for all textures.
Applayed dinamic lights and brightmaps to all actors and sprites that as supposed to have one.
Addeded dynamic lights to textures.
For a modern/classic gameplay i've modified Brutal Doom assets
in order to mantain the vanilla Doom style.
And many more tweaks and fixes.

This mod is created for all the Doom iwads
(Doom, Doom II, TNT, Plutonia) and all the custom wads/levels.
May have issues with custom wads that replaces vanilla enemies/weapons.

System Requirements:
A recent CPU 64bit multicore 3.0Ghz
4gb RAM (8gb or more is better)
A gpu that support OpenGL 3.3 with 2gb+ vram (Nvidia 1050\AMD RX470)
GZdoom 4.0+

Instructions (you need it?) and credits in the archive.

Screnshots:

1.png

3.png

4.png

4-1.png

5.png

5-1.png

6.png

Credits:

Spoiler

_________________CREDITS______________________

ID software: http://www.idsoftware.com/

Base Textures:

Skiner111

Chilvence: chilvence@gmail.com http://www.stateoftheworld.eclipse.co.uk
KuriKai: eunbolt@gmail.com
Freelanzer: http://freelanzer.com freelanzer@gmail.com
Tea Monster: Tea_monster@yahoo.com
Harry: harryboam@hotmail.com
Esselfortium: sl4@mac.com
DaniJ: danij@dengine.net http://modelyard.newdoom.com
Cpt Howdy: malfunction@accessky.net
Freedom: http://freedoom.sourceforge.net
FAK: flaviofak@gmail.com
Reinchard: Reinchard2@gmail.com
MR_Rocket: mrrocket2001@hotmail.com
Jive: jean.yves.delpech@gmail.com
Cpt Howdy: malfunction@accessky.net
Fredrik Johansson: fredrik.johansson@gmail.com http://www.fredrikj.net/index.html
Zimond: ben.maas@gmx.de
Mr.Chris: icedragonchris@hotmail.com
Cheprasov Andrey: Video-Ripper@Yandex.RU Satan-213@yandex.RU
Coen Zimmerman: tabun@planetquake.com http://www.tabun.nl/index.php
De-M-oN: de-m-on@gmx.de
MikeNick2: nickecky@web.de
Lostless: lostless@gmail.com
Rygel: unknown_ivy@hotmail.com
KMan: kman@polycount.com
Necro: necrodome@gmx.net
Saint: http://www.saintshaven.com/
Tabun: http://www.wireheadstudios.org/generations/
Slide: http://slide.newdoom.com
Gamedude: brad_brake@yahoo.com
KRACOV: http://kracov.deviantart.com

Doomenator:
John Doe:
Envid:
Missacula:
Dorian gray:
Zabnat:
LStanley:
-RightField-:
Ravenlot:
PickleBro:
Mr.Hat:
Cheps:
Zaom:
Moon[Drunk]:
Mmnpsrsoskl:
Piz:
Skitso:
Besli:
Xenrid:
Monoxead:
Wulfen:
Kirk Barnes:
KriGSSv1N:
Jim and Chris Waurzyniak:

* KMan: kman@polycount.com http://www.polycount.com/cottages/kman/
* Simon D Howard: sdh300@ecs.soton.ac.uk http://freedoom.sourceforge.net
* Mmnpsrsoskl: mmnpsrsoskl@hotmail.com
* Mr.Chris: chrisdragon425@yahoo.com
* Michael D?fler: necrodome@gmx.net
* Alexander Hvostov: alex@aoi.dyndns.org
* WWS: jarik@chnpp.atom.gov.ua
* DoomKid: doomkid@swbell.net
* Alexey: piz@pochtamt.ru
* Albert: A.Werfhorst@Chello.nl
* RedM: CHARGER@t-online.de
* Carol: carollauer@earthlink.net
* Reinhard: RUnterreitmayer@aol.com

Various misc edits by Doomenator @ Zandronum.com/forum (AltDHTP 1.3)

=== Some source ===
http://www.freefoto.com
http://www.mayang.com/
http://freedoom.sourceforge.net
http://www.textureking.com
http://www.filterforge.com

Base Sprites:

Revenant100 aka Marphy Black
Casey Fitzpatrick: kcghost@gmail.com
hidfan
Sargeant Mark IV
Nickelbawker
TJTownsend
Death Egg
Franco Tieppo
Jekyll Grim Payne
DoomJedi
PSTrooper
ItsNatureToDie
jdrake
Nash Muhandes: shadows

Brightmaps:
Z86
Xen0

UI:
teppo.lahtinen@bh.spt.fi
chilvence@hotmail.com
freelanzer@gmail.com
daniel@ddsdesign.co.uk
PimpUigi
zedas

Base Gameplay assets:
Sargeant Mark IV

Materials:

Xen0

Base texture lights script:
Marisa Kirisame

Music:
Aubrey Hodges

Download link (1.6 gb):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YQ6a49n_JuHORxzuTKVPl7M0nE7PTjEJ

Edited by Xen0

Just messing with you, man. Isn't my cup of tea but it looks like a fair amount of work went into this. The floor textures in the third and also last screenshot pop out the most to me. Those look great. 

Congrats on the mod! 

Yikes

Edited by kknot5889

Runs great on my Galaxy s10e with Delta Touch!  It drops a few frames at a reduced resolution but it's still playable.  I added the darkdoomz mod and gave myself a flashlight for a few levels, to see the lighting details, very nice job.

Screenshot_20200123-191951.jpg

Edit: Woo boy!  Yeah,  I'm seeing some "borrowed" assets, it's sad that he took complete credit.  Maybe we should set up some ground rules and definitions for allowable mod compilations, at least on Doomworld.  It would be very helpful since Doom is back in the spotlight and now we're getting more new people interested in our growing community.

I can't wait to see what this fresh batch of up and comers bring out.  Hopefully I'll still be excited to see Doom mods posted in another 25 years. 

Even though it comes with some drama, as all art does, I still appreciate that everyone here cares enough for this game to at least participate and create!

Edited by CrbnBased : Thread got spicy!

Gave it a download. It seemed like a lot of work was put into this until I noticed some similarities. 

I don't mean to be rude, but I couldn't help but notice that this is basically just Brutal Doom mixed with Doom 4 Remake textures (the mod that got deleted from ModDB and such). You took those mods, stripped away some of the assets (including, strangely enough, the source code that Brutal Doom provided), removed the 3D elements from Doom 4 Remake and uploaded this. At least thats what it looks like

What exactly did you change yourself, if I may ask? Because those ''5000 sprites'' seem to be Brutal Doom sprites that you didn't make yourself and most (if not all) of these textures are ripped straight from Doom 4 Remake and I double checked to confirm that.

Again, i'm not trying to be rude. I'm just curious to know what changes are made other than removed features and assets from other well established mods.

Hey Xen, I've gotta better idea, how about you make some original content, and learn to map, code, texture, etc yourself, then you can freely post whatever project you want, but until then you are nothing more than a lazy thief that makes compilations ASKING FOR PERMISSION without STEALING. And how about you do a unique project instead of ripping project ideas from a million moddb projects of the same idea. As someone pointed out this is just a variant of "Doom Remake 4" (another shit-tier mod that uses stolen assets, claims to reinvent the wheel, yet only manages to butcher the original games' graphics, and style for something that lack's substance)

8 minutes ago, XLightningStormL said:

<criticism>

Hey dude, chill out. OP is new.

Also, OP, remove the tools folder in your mod and tell people what to download instead. The mod is bloated already.

59 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Hey dude, chill out. OP is new.

Also, OP, remove the tools folder in your mod and tell people what to download instead. The mod is bloated already.

I don't think that being new is an excuse to steal assets and upload it like its your own.

Edited by nexxtic28

3 minutes ago, nexxtic28 said:

I don't think that being new is an excuse to steal assets and upload it like its your own.

I agree with this. If OP had said 'hey guys, I combined these two mods I really liked and think they work well together' that would be totally cool and not worthy of any criticism. But that isn't really what this is. Maybe OP can shed some light on this? Don't want to be judging all of this without hearing from him. 

8 minutes ago, nexxtic28 said:

I don't think that being new is an excuse to steal assets and upload it like its your own. He could have easily just said that its a mod

combination.

He have given credits to the original authors (not proper ones at all - the weapon sprites for instance.), though I'd agree that OP has stolen too much stuff and should have removed the weapons part. Too lame, tbh. 

Also why include stealth monsters?

14 hours ago, Xen0 said:

For a modern/classic gameplay i've modified Brutal Doom assets
 in order to mantain the Romero-Carmack vision of the original Doom.

All in all, I'm with @kknot5889 and would like to hear a proper explanation.

@kknot5889, @nexxtic28 i agree with you both, but i think its better to be the big guys here and don't be to harsh on new members. Ok, he made a faul, but, instead of accuse him of stealing, i think its better to tell him that the ''borrowed'' material needs to be credited properly, even if him modified it. And it would be nice if he ask for permission before submiting something.
I would mentioned
XLightningStormL but, for some reason, after the first two @ my pc don't let me mention anybody else.

Just my two coins.

1 minute ago, P41R47 said:

@kknot5889, @nexxtic28 i agree with you both, but i think its better to be the big guys here and don't be to harsh on new members. Ok, he made a faul, but, instead of accuse him of stealing, i think its better to tell him that the ''borrowed'' material needs to be credited properly, even if him modified it. 
I would mentioned
XLightningStormL but, for some reason, after the first two @ my pc don't let me mention anybody else.

Just my two coins.

Exactly. I'm not trying to be harsh here at all, which is why I think we should hear from OP before anyone criticises him. Combining mods into a single experience is nothing to criticise, but this just feels misrepresented. There are some things not credited, as @TheNoob_Gamer points out, and even the things he's credited he's claiming to have changed for this mod but they appear to be still the original sprites and textures from their original mods. I don't really know that adding a blanket filter to the assets of established mods really counts as 'custom'. 

Not trying to throw stones, obviously. But this just feels like it was misrepresented as something that it's not. Again, I'd like to see what OP has to say about this before forming an opinion. 

Xen0 DooM? Omg, really? :D

Hey dude, I see my textures here and I want to see the full credit list for all steal assets.

I was gonna come and complain about the fact that it's all stolen assets, but that's already happening, so...

Instead imma talk about the content that this thing bundles up into a very thick 1.6gb package. I'm not gonna criticize OP- Just their work at making this what it is.

Well, first of all: From what I gather it had texture filtering on the default textures which looked... Not ideal. Specially when it's a lot of one texture, like at the beginning of MAP01 in Doom 2. Like, bilinear upscaling in PaintNET, same for the enemies. (Don't quote me on that, I've had a busy day and I might be remembering wrong)

The Brutal Doom stuff just... Doesn't fit? Because it's just the weapons, that you can't toggle off it alters the experience to a weird uncanny valley where it's not quite vanilla but not quite BD either? If OP wanted to make it a Vanilla+ thing, they coulda used something like Smooth Doom instead.

The material maps and dynlights work, for the most part. You can turn bloom on and get the full Unreal-but-not-really experience. It's not like there's a mod that aims to do that thing specifically for a fraction of the memory usage.

Final thoughts overall?

Play Brutal Doom.

6 minutes ago, Doomenator said:

Xen0 DooM? Omg, really? :D

Hey dude, I see my textures here and I want to see the full credit list for all steal assets.

That kinda sucks. Hope you get ya credit my guy

Well, some clarifications:
Believe or not, i've never heard about Doom Remake 4.
As i said in the description i used existing base assets and textures
with credits (sorry Doomenator i forgot to credit you).
I have edited ALL the files and textures and created the lights and materials.
The gameplay is modified and have little to do with brutal doom,
apart the weapons design and the tied marine.
Nearly nothing is the same as the originals.
If you merge the original base assets and texture you dont obtain the same results. Absolutly.
We can say its a mod of a mod? As you wish.

Sorry to have hurt the sensibility of someone.
And sorry for my bad english. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Xen0 said:

The gameplay is modified and have little to do with brutal doom

Well your mod does feature some kind of gore system that can't be (conventionally) turned off.

And yeah, better credit the proper authors who made the main weapon sprites. As far as I'm aware, Mark 4 almost didn't make or edit any sprites and most of the graphics part.

2 hours ago, Xen0 said:

Believe or not, i've never heard about Doom Remake 4.
As i said in the description i used existing base assets and textures
with credits (sorry Doomenator i forgot to credit you).
I have edited ALL the files and textures and created the lights and materials.
The gameplay is modified and have little to do with brutal doom,
apart the weapons design and the tied marine.
Nearly nothing is the same as the originals.
If you merge the original base assets and texture you dont obtain the same results. Absolutly.
We can say its a mod of a mod? As you wish.

Don't worry, Xen0, shit happens!
Just learn of the little mistakes. If you were a texture artist an someone publish a work that has all your texture hard work an that someone not even name you, how would you feel?
Well this is somehow what happened here, you are new and doesn't put yourself in the shoes of other before making your work of passion and love.
No body is perfect, just credit the authors needed to be credited, ask if they like to contribute somehow as its they work you are modifying, and learn from the constructive critisism that some will leave in their respective comments.

My only critisism to your work might be that, when you upscale the graphics, some of them, like the dead marine in the first screenshot, become somewhat muddled and distorted. Take that in consideration and made the proper fixes to the filters to don't damage the resolution of the source material.

Cheers!

25 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

My only critisism to your work might be that, when you upscale the graphics, some of them, like the dead marine in the first screenshot, become somewhat muddled and distorted.

Those are actually because he enabled GzDoom's texture upscaling, which makes sprites 4x as sharp using an algorithm. The author didn't change anything to the sprites themselves. Making the "All sprites (over 5000!) adapted to the new "hd" style." statement very, very false. I checked the sprites myself to confirm.

Banana banana banana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie

Imho texture upscaling looks... Very not good for me, but that's just my taste.
It's not as good as something like Waifu2x that's designed specifically to make tiny details clearer, as opposed to just making the entire texture bigger, then applying gaussian blur and calling it a day

I didnt mind it ..it was different being in a slightly upgraded graphics world i love the brutal doom..always have... thumbs up*

8 hours ago, Xen0 said:

sorry Doomenator i forgot to credit you

I have no idea how is it possible to use hundreds of other people's textures from completely different packages and forget about credits. Most likely you used someone's stupid copy paste, naively believing that this is the best option. This confirms the presence of duplicate textures, style non-matching textures, unused textures, and lack of original credits.

In addition, the quality of the materials is 1/10, like all I've seen before. Metal, glass, concrete, wood... everything looks like plastic. To understand how materials should look, see at examples: https://www.filterforge.com/filters/

And the other fundamental shortcomings of this mod, I probably will not analyze, although there are plenty of them.

On 1/24/2020 at 3:08 PM, Xen0 said:

Lets illustrate:

• You made a nice porcelain vase and gave it some nice firmaments and decorations, and in a specially handcrafted paint, you colour this vase. This is thus your finished product. You also helped yourself a little during making this, so you made a mould of your vase, a basic model, so you can recreate your vase quicker and make different versions of it.
  • In comes me from another country and sees your vase. I think it is very nice, and as such i take your finished product.
  • But i noticed your handcrafted paint that you used, next to it. Looks good. So good, i take that along with your finished product.
  • Just as i am about to leave, you being shocked beyond belief by my case of borrowing, i notice your mould laying in a corner. I connect the dots: ''Hey, Xen0 probably uses this to ease the development of new vases. That comes along with me.'' and thus your mould is taken away aswell.
  • I travel back to my country and register a new company. Your vase looks really nice. Using your mould, i am going to do some changes here and there, together with someone ive hired (From selling your original vase).
  • I then start selling your vase, using your mould, and advertise that these are ''Handcrafted by me'', thereby not giving any credit to you, the original creator.

Would you like the above situation? Because what you did is very similar to my description (Not 100% ofcourse, i took some liberties here and there.)

It is not that you hurt someone's feelings, its more that you obmit the common courtesy step of giving credit where credit is due. This is what people do not like, especially when this is a thing that happens way too often (unfortunately) in this community.

I am not attacking you, i am merely illustrating why this practice is not a good thing. So lets change it, shall we? :)

7 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Lets illustrate:

• You made a nice porcelain vase and gave it some nice firmaments and decorations, and in a specially handcrafted paint, you colour this vase. This is thus your finished product. You also helped yourself a little during making this, so you made a mould of your vase, a basic model, so you can recreate your vase quicker and make different versions of it.
  • In comes me from another country and sees your vase. I think it is very nice, and as such i take your finished product.
  • But i noticed your handcrafted paint that you used, next to it. Looks good. So good, i take that along with your finished product.
  • Just as i am about to leave, you being shocked beyond belief by my case of borrowing, i notice your mould laying in a corner. I connect the dots: ''Hey, Xen0 probably uses this to ease the development of new vases. That comes along with me.'' and thus your mould is taken away aswell.
  • I travel back to my country and register a new company. Your vase looks really nice. Using your mould, i am going to do some changes here and there, together with someone ive hired (From selling your original vase).
  • I then start selling your vase, using your mould, and advertise that these are ''Handcrafted by me'', thereby not giving any credit to you, the original creator.

Would you like the above situation? Because what you did is very similar to my description (Not 100% ofcourse, i took some liberties here and there.)

It is not that you hurt someone's feelings, its more that you obmit the common courtesy step of giving credit where credit is due. This is what people do not like, especially when this is a thing that happens way too often (unfortunately) in this community.

I am not attacking you, i am merely illustrating why this practice is not a good thing. So lets change it, shall we? :)

TLDR

Xen0:

12 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

It is not that you hurt someone's feelings, its more that you obmit the common courtesy step of giving credit where credit is due.

Actually in the the mod there is the credits file with all the autors i found in the packages i used.

I already say that i'm sorry for Doomenator, but i don't find his name in any packages.

Maybe someone other have omitted it.

Anyway, i've created this mod only for myself.

I have decided to share only because i heard too many (young) players say:

"Doom is a good game but is too old-gen for me."

Nowaday for the majority of gamers retrogaming start from Half Life 2 or COD Modern Warfare.

Say that, if i break some policies, for me is not a problem deleting this topic.

Have a nice day to all.

My english is getting worse.

5 hours ago, kknot5889 said:

TLDR

I am so incredibly sorry that i didn't appeal to your inclination for a short post. Its almost as if i wanted to illustrate something.

34 minutes ago, Xen0 said:

Actually in the the mod there is the credits file with all the autors i found in the packages i used.

I already say that i'm sorry for Doomenator, but i don't find his name in any packages.

Maybe someone other have omitted it.

So if you cannot bring a texture home to a specific author and credit accordingly, instead of obmitting said texture, you decide to release it anyway.

I mean, if you do not understand why that's problematic, then well, you do you.

34 minutes ago, Xen0 said:

Anyway, i've created this mod only for myself.

I have decided to share only because i heard too many (young) players say:

"Doom is a good game but is too old-gen for me."

Nowaday for the majority of gamers retrogaming start from Half Life 2 or COD Modern Warfare.

And here lies the problem: Because Classic Doom does not use fancy shaders and modern rendering paradigms, its outdated. That's not Doom's problem.

6 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I am so incredibly sorry that i didn't appeal to your inclination for a short post. Its almost as if i wanted to illustrate something.

Hey man, you don't have to direct that passive aggressive stuff at me. I read your post and that video was the first thing I thought of. I didn't once disagree with what you had to say. No need to get defensive.