Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.5.0 (Apr 30, 2024)

55 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

Remove the kills percentage? < I think you can actually do this with WOOFHUD, I have to check.

Nope, it's part of the "stats" widget. Not sure if we should just remove it unconditionally, though. 

3 hours ago, Julia Nechaevskaya said:

Found this one! So, using a "Boom" format will be needed for WhackEd. To disable translucency, just set off it's flag from Bullet Puff in Things section:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.b08b97a037a831d9035cf4f28e586469.png

Vanilla's "Draw as shadow" will not help here - it will make thing drawing with spectre's fuzzy effect. I hope this helps. 🙂 

Thank you so much!  I really appreciate your time and help. :)

Thank you too for heads up, it was a good practice for my memory! This case made me curious why brightmaps were never applied to translucent sprites (or "columns", speaking technically), neither here, nor in friendly ports. But it seems to be possible, and even give small notable result, pay attention to red light:

Spoiler

image.png.cc368873625ff5e7753fd7eb65a93e4f.png

This is different engine 🫢, but I'll gladly take care about it in Woof.

Weird question, but if I am at the main menu and I change compatibility in the menu there, does the 'next game' count as the next one I load, or do I have to restart Woof! after changing compatibility settings?

6 minutes ago, Syoku said:

Weird question, but if I am at the main menu and I change compatibility in the menu there, does the 'next game' count as the next one I load, or do I have to restart Woof! after changing compatibility settings?

It's the next game that you start, either by going to new game from the main menu, using IDCLEV to warp, pressing the "next map" key if you have one set, etc. No need to quit.

you can actually type COMP as a cheat to show the current compatibility level (and change it with the two digits for the appropriate compatibility level -- doing it this way makes the change immediate, in the middle of the current level!)

Just now, plums said:

It's the next game that you start, either by going to new game from the main menu, using IDCLEV to warp, pressing the "next map" key if you have one set, etc. No need to quit.

you can actually type COMP as a cheat to show the current compatibility level (and change it with the two digits for the appropriate compatibility level -- doing it this way makes the change immediate, in the middle of the current level!)

Whoa, the COMP cheat looks neat! I'll remember that. Thanks for the quick response!

9 hours ago, fabian said:

Nope, it's part of the "stats" widget. Not sure if we should just remove it unconditionally, though. 

Nice thank you. I like that ports are different in a way or another but IMO some basic settings should just be included, that's why I keep asking for certain features like the FOV, not to bother the devs.

Edited by CacoKnight

Out of curiosity, DSDA-D has a level table with times, skill, and a summary of all times taken alongside kills and secrets across all levels of a wad. Is this something Woof can support, or has this ever been considered as an addition?

The update only came for me yesterday in the AUR. The updated resolution caught me by surprise. I'm not gonna say I dislike it(it's nice to have), but I did turn it down a bit since the "chunkyness" was part of the original appeal for me with Woof.

Also, thanks for adding the option to show stats with a keybind. That's really apreciated.

2 hours ago, maxmanium said:

Where can I find these dev builds people are talking about?

Here: https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/actions

Look for the ones that say "Continuous Integration (MSVC)" for Windows builds, or those that say just "Continuous Integration" for AppImages. Also, the ones that say "master" (and not "[user]:[branch]") are, as you may guess, the dev builds for the master (main) branch. The topmost master one should be the most recent.

Do note that you need to be logged into a GitHub account to download them, though. If you don't have one, you could try https://nightly.link/, but I've never used this site.

8 hours ago, leveste said:

The update only came for me yesterday in the AUR. The updated resolution caught me by surprise. I'm not gonna say I dislike it(it's nice to have), but I did turn it down a bit since the "chunkyness" was part of the original appeal for me with Woof.

I didn't realize that AUR fetches everything from the master branch. The current master is not recommended to use, it is under intensive development.

2 hours ago, rfomin said:

I didn't realize that AUR fetches everything from the master branch. The current master is not recommended to use, it is under intensive development.

There's two packages in the AUR: woof-doom and woof-doom-git. I have the latter installed since I figured it'd be more up-to-date. I know the risks, but since I never really ran into issues with it, I never bothered switching.

51 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

The Git version is actually older? https://aur.archlinux.org/packages?O=0&amp;K=woof-doom

When you update a git package from AUR, it always pulls the latest commits, regardless of what the package is marked. Typically package maintainers bump the version number when substantial (stable) changes are made so that it will trigger an update in the package manager software, however as long as there are no changes to the way the program is compiled, you can always just install/update the package yourself to get the current master branch.

This also means that in some situations the package will get bumped, but if you wait some time before updating, the master branch will change considerably since the package version itself increased. It's just a risk you take when auto-updating, and why some people recommend you only update git packages manually/after checking the master branch for that software.

Anyhow if you've installed the current master and it's too unusable it's easy to just switch to the stable version for a time.

Edited by plums

Thank u for the small update for Sigil II fixes. I don't necessarily have any plans to play it soon, but it's nice to have this for Woof! set out rn. Happy Holidays everybody :)

Thank you for this beautiful port! I have a question, since I updated to Woof 12.0.2 the game can't find my savegames anymore. I used the option to keep saves separated by wad in the old version (12.0.0), but that option is no more in the updated version. I found out I can still load the saves with the -save parameter in the console, but is there any way to enable the old behavior again?

The option is called "Organize save files" and can be found in the General setup menu. It doesn't have any effect, though, if you use the `-save` parameter. 

Thanks for the reply. I double checked again in Options - General and that option isn't there, iirc it was under 'quality of life' or 'miscellaneous' but it's gone. I even checked the config file with a text editor for the option, and I was sure it was there before but now that setting is gone too.

Ah, you must have been using a development snapshot formerly. This feature isn't in the 12.x release branch. 

Formerly I compiled from source following the instruction on github, not sure if it was a development snapshot it said version 12.0.0, because with the precompiled package I tried before midi wasn't working.

Yes, of you're building from source from the master branch that's always a development snapshot. 

For some reason when playing on complevel 2 dehacked overshot health acts as it does in cl 9 rather than it's vanilla behavior (where max health is always set to 100 and only the health bonus max can be raised, while in Boom the bonus health max is read like regular health max and the bonus max is just double that)

I didn't noticed this when playing thru all of Andrea Rovenski's A War On Christmas: Part 2 until she commented on Clippy's videos that it's supposed to cap at 100 before bonuses. But the weird thing is that it behaves like it does on Vanilla on Part 1 of waronxmas, so I don't know what's going on. All I know is that it's acting weird in Woof and Nugget

@No-Man Baugh This has been fixed in the git version, but the current git version is kind of unstable right now as it's in the middle of menu refactoring. Probably best to use another port for cl2 maps with Dehacked health changes, for now.

Hey, I'm quite a fan of this source port and greatly appreciate the addition of Appimage binaries for us Linux users. If I could suggest a feature however, it would be to add a rudimentary GUI launcher that allows you to select iwads and pwads. As we all know, there are many, many custom wads for Doom but unfortunately I don't seem to have any way to play them on Woof! through the Appimage. 

1 hour ago, PhoenixBlade said:

Hey, I'm quite a fan of this source port and greatly appreciate the addition of Appimage binaries for us Linux users. If I could suggest a feature however, it would be to add a rudimentary GUI launcher that allows you to select iwads and pwads. As we all know, there are many, many custom wads for Doom but unfortunately I don't seem to have any way to play them on Woof! through the Appimage. 

The AppImage accepts all the same command-line parameters as the normal binary does, so it'll also work through the terminal or a launcher such as ZDL (which has a prebuilt binary for Linux available).

On 12/22/2023 at 11:39 AM, fabian said:

Ah, you must have been using a development snapshot formerly. This feature isn't in the 12.x release branch. 

Thank you, can confirm the git version has that option and works as expected :)

I'm sure you probably already know about it, but latest dev builds with high resolution act quite funky. Not sure what causes it but it seems to slightly stretch and shrink in both directions briefly before going back to normal. Sometimes can see a column of pixels on the right which are clearly either from my desktop or something. Seems to happen most often after screen wipe effect.