Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HQDefault

Where do you guys think Helltech came from?

Okay so I'm aware that in the newer games (it's iffy for Doom 3, but it's 100% confirmed in 4 and Eternal) that the technology attached to Demons are built buy UAC scientists.

But in Doom 1 and 2, it's not clear if the tech is from hell itself... or what. We know it wasn't the UAC's doing, because in that rendition of the story, the UAC had not gathered any information on Hell or Demons by the start of the game. So they never even had that opportunity. What I think is supposed to be happening is the Spider Mastermind as well as well as the Arachnotrons are sort of the engineers of the demonic world, that's why they get around in their armored mechs. They built them themselves.

It's also possible that scientists that went to hell when they died retained their knowledge of technology, and were forced to replicate it. Or, heck, maybe Hell just assimilates a bunch of random stuff so the tech just sort of... forms.

I dunno, I'm interested to hear other interpretations of the lore.

"Maybe cybernetics wasn't such a great idea after all. Look what the demons have done with it. It seems unfair somehow you're not the only guy in Hell with a plasma gun." - Arachnotron Doom II manual description

---

Seems like the demons assimilated human machinery into their arsenal, at least when designing the Arachnotron.

I can't find the original source, but according to this Doomworld post by @Solmyr, Sandy Peterson had said the demons worship weapons and their ability to cause destruction. That could explain why the demons replace their body parts with them. Source: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2090951

In the original Doom, only the bosses possessed cybernetic parts: the Cyberdemon and the Spider Mastermind. That could suggest only the mightiest demons were allowed to weaponize themselves with human technology. The Cyberdemon is first encountered on Deimos, a moon absorbed by Hell. Perhaps assimilating the moon into Hell gave the demons the opportunity to analyze and use the human machinery for themselves. By the time of Hell on Earth, more demons had also weaponized themselves and part of the invasion: Arachnotrons, Revenants, and Mancubi.

8 minutes ago, AtimZarr1 said:

"Maybe cybernetics wasn't such a great idea after all. Look what the demons have done with it. It seems unfair somehow you're not the only guy in Hell with a plasma gun." - Arachnotron Doom II manual description

---

Seems like the demons assimilated human machinery into their arsenal, at least when designing the Arachnotron.

I can't find the original source, but according to this Doomworld post by @Solmyr, Sandy Peterson had said the demons worship weapons and their ability to cause destruction. That could explain why the demons replace their body parts with them. Source: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2090951

In the original Doom, only the bosses possessed cybernetic parts: the Cyberdemon and the Spider Mastermind. That could suggest only the mightiest demons were allowed to weaponize themselves with human technology. The Cyberdemon is first encountered on Deimos, a moon absorbed by Hell. Perhaps assimilating the moon into Hell gave the demons the opportunity to analyze and use the human machinery for themselves. By the time of Hell on Earth, more demons had also weaponized themselves and part of the invasion: Arachnotrons, Revenants, and Mancubi.

Not to mention the Icon of Sin, the demon leader behind the earth invasion, has FULLY weaponised itself, sacrificing its entire body to become a living machine with a head embedded in a wall as machines inject and operate on it, with its brain now exposed.

13 hours ago, HQDefault said:

Okay so I'm aware that in the newer games (it's iffy for Doom 3, but it's 100% confirmed in 4 and Eternal) that the technology attached to Demons are built buy UAC scientists.

This seems like lazy writing to me. Like the devs/writers of the new Doom games just couldn't be arsed to put any more thought into it and went with the most obvious one. Then again, it is Doom and the story was never the main focus.

I think it was better in the classics where it was left up to your imagination.  I honestly would have preferred it if they just left it up to the reader instead of going with the most boring version of "yeah, we built it and demons stole it. Let's go with that". I mean I know it's Doom, but a little effort in story telling goes a long way to feed your audience imagination.

As for a meaningful reply to the topic: I always assumed they had developed their own tech based around augmentation. To make them more efficient killing machines.

For example a Baron might get a cybernetic arm because he lost it in battle, or it just wanted something to boost his status among hell's nobility. However, no one would ever replace or give such an enhancement to a lowly Imp....unless it achieved something like killing a squad of marines. That's how I imagined it worked with Dooms demons. The high ranking demons get it but the low ranking demons are seen as fodder and would only be considered for it if they did something truly noteworthy as a reward.

2 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

My guess is the Strogg built it. :D

1.0 .

My take on this, based on what Sandy said about demons worshiping weapons and their ability to cause destruction - but also fearing them since they can also inflict damage upon them -, is that they originally did not have any fancy technology but stole it from humans at some point in time once they became obsessed with it and chose to weaponize their bodies, but that was permitted only to higher ranking members of the hierarchy - read: mid-tier monsters and above -, and no-one else.

Considering how oddly primitive the Doom monsters seem to be sometimes, I never considered them possessing the mental capacity to outright build such tech.

The high ranking demons built all of their technology. They documented their inventions on books which can be found on the endless amount of libraries that populates hell and infested parts of Earth. Too bad doomguy can't read demonic runes, nor does he care about demonic knowledge.