Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maximum Matt

The Maximum Doom Renaissance

On 10/17/2020 at 2:37 AM, Maximum Matt said:

That's why it's called D!Zone :-)

A Max Doom documentary would be quite cool and you should get on that immediately.

Screw it, I'll make one.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:06 PM, PsychEyeball said:

I'm also about to take the plunge into Maximum Doom soon.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how scared should I be?

Great to hear it dude! Out of curiosity, when did you decide you didn't like being happy?

42 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

About 666. 

Oh my! Now I'm excited.

3 minutes ago, Kes Gaming YT said:

Great to hear it dude! Out of curiosity, when did you decide you didn't like being happy?

I just love pain and torturing myself in general. No real reason to it.

On 9/17/2021 at 2:06 AM, PsychEyeball said:

I'm also about to take the plunge into Maximum Doom soon.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how scared should I be?

Godspeed man. I pray for your health.

25 minutes ago, Kes Gaming YT said:

Out of curiosity, when did you decide you didn't like being happy?

Probably sometime after you decided the same :D

everytime i see the title of this thread, the idea of a community made new version of maximum doom, full of incomplete drafts and crappy maps by all the veterans and newer members alike, pass in front my eyes.

That or a MaximumMatt version of Maximum Doom with his own maps.
Probably far better than the whole original Maximum Doom.

38 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Are the pwads any good?  Never once played any of them.

A lot are bad, I've screwed around with a few of them. However, most on the top 100 wads list are all solid. Fortress.wad is actually pretty solid, and serves as the inspiration for Team Fortress (1996 Quake mod) and the legendary 2Fort, home of endless CTF stalemates since 1996.  I remember a few that were called Forest.wad or something like that, they were decent. It's a massive mixed bag, and if I remember correctly, a few are actually broken and unbeatable. So give it a shot, and have fun laughing at how bad some of the maps are.

4 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

A lot are bad, I've screwed around with a few of them. However, most on the top 100 wads list are all solid. Fortress.wad is actually pretty solid, and serves as the inspiration for Team Fortress (1996 Quake mod) and the legendary 2Fort, home of endless CTF stalemates since 1996.  I remember a few that were called Forest.wad or something like that, they were decent. It's a massive mixed bag, and if I remember correctly, a few are actually broken and unbeatable. So give it a shot, and have fun laughing at how bad some of the maps are.

Sounds like a good mix.  I'll get started doing UV on them.  Hoping for a good few laughs

12 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Sounds like a good mix.  I'll get started doing UV on them.  Hoping for a good few laughs

You'll get them!

Also the difficulty varies wildly, some are stupidly easy, where you just SSG imps and zombies. Others are RNG bs that make you want to tear your hair out. But overall it's an oddity that can be fun. Never played all then maps though.

9 hours ago, P41R47 said:

everytime i see the title of this thread, the idea of a community made new version of maximum doom, full of incomplete drafts and crappy maps by all the veterans and newer members alike, pass in front my eyes.

That or a MaximumMatt version of Maximum Doom with his own maps.
Probably far better than the whole original Maximum Doom.

I always thought it would be cool to design a custom launcher for Maximum Doom, with pre-configured settings for each map, that would launch it either in single-player,c o-op, or deathmatch, as designed, on the proper level of difficulty. Then, I could go through and fix all the broken maps, eliminate the duplicates, and then put the whole thing on Steam as a Community Mod for Doom I & II, with a Steam achievement for completing a unique action in each level.

But, even if such a project were possible, and I could avoid copyright issues by doing so (which is unlikely as this was post DMCA), I really don't have the time as it is. xD

8 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Actually, the fortress.wad in Maximum Doom is a different fortress.wad than the one made by Robin Williams, that went on to serve as inspiration for 2fort.

8 hours ago, Gibbon said:

You'll definitely find them. xD

Be prepared for a TON of repeats. Also, look out for maps that are the same ones you have played before, but with the slightest alterations.

32 minutes ago, Kes Gaming YT said:

Actually, the fortress.wad in Maximum Doom is a different fortress.wad than the one made by Robin Williams, that went on to serve as inspiration for 2fort.

Oh yeah, I forgot I had to download the real fortress.wad. Thanks for the reminder.

On 10/17/2020 at 1:58 AM, Doomkid said:

Maximum Doom needs a dedicated video on YT explaining it's historic significance similarly to how you've done here. Those D!Zone posers can eat a bag of dicks! (rofl)

Bro D!Zone has that sick launcher though lmao

I've always disliked those D!Zone packs..  the title annoys me for some reason.  However, the 'Boom Classic Power Packs' are pure gold!

EDIT: I just mounted the Boom 3 Classic Power Pack and most of the Maximum Doom levels are in there too.

Edited by Gibbon

Been going through in alphabetical order, so far, CRESCEN2 is my favourite.  It surprised me for a 1994 map.

58 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

Yeah that's a decent one.  Good luck Sir Gibbon

I'm doing demo recordings of each one for a nice .lmp archive of it too.  Not to the same degree (some maps were not tested on Ultra Violence clearly).  But some are pretty funny indeed.