Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Keen

What do you want id to do next after Eternal?

On 4/29/2023 at 10:35 PM, Egyptian Guardian said:

A remake of the original quake with Lovecraftian and Occult themes, just like how they gave Doom the Bethesda treatment, followed with several DLCs. Rinse and repeat with Hexen and Heretic. 

Also, one marketing strategy that I just realized could revive a gaming community is bringing back a Dev Team to release several mods and DLC's for the original Quake to be played on that KEX engine, or be compatible with source ports like Quakespasm and Darkplaces. This could encourage other indie devs and modders to release high quality content to be played with it like what happened with Arcane Dimensions. 

Hexen and Heretic do not belong to id.

People liked those first person game over deaths in 2016 and i thought a genius one (if Eternal had it) would be a Dreadknight slicing the Doomguy in a vertical slice and the "camera" splits to imply the two sides fall apart from each other.

I could also see the Marauder trying to make Doomguy get stabbed by his own Doomblade.

Also, if a Doom game had options between "gamey" pickups and "grounded" ones, i thought a very specific fanservice would be to make UAC, Sentinel, Hell and Urdak variations of any pickup.

Because Eternal's rocket pickups are UAC based but the ones out of the RL itself are cultist themed.

I can see Sentinel batteries work as their versions of Plasma Cell ammo.

June 11th can't come soon enough.  That will also mark 2 months till the next QuakeCon.

My hope is that they tease the next game with a full gameplay trailer at QuakeCon.  I want a return to the Doom hype more than anything.

Edited by Zemini

Because Eternal has those logs where someone analyzed Doomguy's blood and i said something about the UAC trying to mimic Sentinel tech, i wonder if a potential plot point could be the UAC creating human clone soldiers and some are meant to be based off Doomguy.

They'd still not be as stronger because of the lack of a Divinity Machine.

14 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Because Eternal has those logs where someone analyzed Doomguy's blood and i said something about the UAC trying to mimic Sentinel tech, i wonder if a potential plot point could be the UAC creating human clone soldiers and some are meant to be based off Doomguy.

They'd still not be as stronger because of the lack of a Divinity Machine.

lol

although Hexen is only published by ID software, imagine how cool it would be to see Hexen in the new Doom style. With triple A graphics.

AWESOME!!!

Just got around to Eternal.

I'm hoping id goes back to Doom and makes it a little more pure.  Blood punch, ice grenade, frag grenade, flame belch, fast switching, double jumping, double dashing, glory killing... Few too many bells and whistles for my tastes. I like a more old fashioned Doom. 

They should drop all those other ideas entirely and start working on bringing Hell on Earth. The most realistic DOOM game...

Publish DOOM and Eternal’s source codes.

Oh, I forgot: under the GPL, not under a peep-show licence (you may see but you must not touch as usual with Microsoft).

Edited by ducon

On 6/2/2023 at 9:26 PM, RandoBust said:

Just got around to Eternal.

I'm hoping id goes back to Doom and makes it a little more pure.  Blood punch, ice grenade, frag grenade, flame belch, fast switching, double jumping, double dashing, glory killing... Few too many bells and whistles for my tastes. I like a more old fashioned Doom. 

Yeah, it became a little too much in my opinion, though I still liked Eternal. Doom 2016 was overall the better game for me. I’d love to see a return to that sort of gameplay but in a true corridor style shooter. I do really like nuDooms but Eternal went a bit too far and I actually find it a hard game to just drop in and play like old school Doom or Doom 2016 because there are so many specific things you have to memorize.

I have an analogy for the fun factor vs effort to enjoy the Doom games.

Let's say we wanted to go high speeds, which gives us an adrenalin fueled experience.

Classic Dooms are like a roller-coaster where you don't need a license or training to go on the ride and get that fun experience (yes Doom can be very difficult and there's skill involved, just work with me here).

Doom 2016 is like driving a car on the track. You can get lots of high speed fun with it, but you need a range of driving skills, less you crash or drive too cautiously and you don't get the experience you wanted.

Doom Eternal is like a jet. It's amongst the fastest, highly engineered machines to date that trumps the speed of the other two options. But to fly a jet you need lots of training and practice, to even get off the ground.

Unfortunately Eternal wasn't built nor paced in a way for roller coaster nor even drivers to gradually become a jet pilot. It was soley focused on flying a jet for pilots. Hence why I think so many people get tired with it quickly, hesitate to launch it again, or straight out given up on the game. But if you learn the game mechanics like second nature, it's an entirely unique and amazing experience the other Dooms can't quite deliver.

I hope the new Doom instalment balances out the learning curve, difficulty, mechanics and story wise.

@Chezza As someone who “got gud” at Eternal (and has now probably lost those skills), I think your metaphor works nicely. Though I’d also say the OG Doom has so much flexibility that you can make an experience just as transcending as anything Eternal offers, though different. But overall I think you’re completely on the money. And I think it’s why, despite its many flaws, I still look back at Eternal with a lot of fond memories, because it sometimes was that “entirely unique” experience. It was clearly a game with a lot of thought and care put into it.

But overall the accessibility of the other Dooms wins out, especially when it comes to replayability, and they also had better production design imho. The arcadey nature of Eternal wasn’t as good as Doom 2016’s darker Satanic vibes. But I like them all. Even Doom 3.

It reminds me of what i said about "speed" and "variety" in a series like Doom: even if the next Doom game won't be as fast as Eternal, there could always be new additions that people could like.

I even thought Eternal itself deserved some expansions with different playable characters with their own weapons, alt fires, power ups, abilities etc just to explore the formula.

Even thought if Doom went back to something slow, you could justify a slow game by making it tactical in a deep way and still add in fun elements in the "sandbox".

On 6/3/2023 at 7:14 AM, ducon said:

Publish DOOM and Eternal’s source codes.

Oh, I forgot: under the GPL, not under a peep-show licence (you may see but you must not touch as usual with Microsoft).

Just release idtech 5-7 codes under gpl tbh

36 minutes ago, PhoxFyre007 said:

Just release idtech 5-7 codes under gpl tbh

Idtech 5 is already partially released, it was used for Doom3 BFG which was made open not long after its release. The rest of the engines, and the other half of idtech 5, all use middleware that isn't under id Software's license control. Things like Wwise, Havok, Bink and Umbra have no possibility of being used in a GPL source release, but without them the code would effectively be unusable.

Edited by Edward850

I feel like we already get too many remakes and D3 is a game i wish had a proper re-release considering what goes on with BFG edition and even the 2019 release.

And Doom is a series that has different "iterations" so depending on how "fresh" a D3 remake is, it might as well be its own game.

1 hour ago, CoolerDoomeR said:

I really want a quake 4 remaster, also Doom 3 Remake would be cool too!

I would also like a remake of Doom 3. I'm not sure what kind though. Part of me wants a 1:1 remake but another part of me wants a RE4R style remake.

I think another thing about a return of D3 is how its vision/personality compares to that of 2016/Eternal and how it can be viewed as an "opposite wing" (you are doomed and slow vs you are the doom and fast), besides the fact that it was always its own timeline etc.

It's the same thing with "what if there was a D3 2" where you'd have to think of how it could to D3 what Eternal is to D2016 and to further enhance the "opposite wing" aspect.

Because even D4.10 was its own thing and felt deviated from D3.

I thought a D3 re-release could work better if id gets in touch with D3 modders that also loved the game, when you consider its reputation and whether or not anything new around the game is for people that don't like it very much.

On 6/9/2023 at 1:31 PM, whatup876 said:

I think another thing about a return of D3 is how its vision/personality compares to that of 2016/Eternal and how it can be viewed as an "opposite wing" (you are doomed and slow vs you are the doom and fast), besides the fact that it was always its own timeline etc.

It's the same thing with "what if there was a D3 2" where you'd have to think of how it could to D3 what Eternal is to D2016 and to further enhance the "opposite wing" aspect.

Because even D4.10 was its own thing and felt deviated from D3.

I thought a D3 re-release could work better if id gets in touch with D3 modders that also loved the game, when you consider its reputation and whether or not anything new around the game is for people that don't like it very much.

Peak whatup876 rambling here.

I know it's another nerdy post but it's because i see D3 as a game that doesn't do a good job at "being itself" which is also why i don't care much for the "not a real Doom game" comments.

Even in QC, the D3 marine helmet is blatantly different from the original D3 helmet as if the designer/modeller was criticizing how you barely saw the visor in the original design.

Perhaps this is also why a Quake reboot is welcome: the mindset would be similar to Doom 2016 in the sense of "we'll bring back some basics but we gotta focus on what's new".

It'd be a new age of Quake like how 2016/Eternal are a new age of Doom.

I guess a way to explore D3 is also to see its development and concept art.

But this is all in case D3 were to be revisited because this portion of the series would be easily put under a "spin-off" zone and you'd want to assure fans that the Slayer isn't going anywhere.

Because i also used to say that a new horror focused Doom could've had designs like those fanmade redesigns such as DeimosRemus' or some "Hideous Destructor"-like gameplay but maybe some D3 fans would not agree with that.

On 6/9/2023 at 2:02 PM, Agent Strange said:

I would also like a remake of Doom 3. I'm not sure what kind though. Part of me wants a 1:1 remake but another part of me wants a RE4R style remake.

Very good idea, i never think of that but it could be very interesting, more faster and punchy and less survival, keeping the Half-Life structure of the game, faster demons, i'm on.

When Doom 2016 opened up with the Slayer awakening from a sarcophagus, we could view that as a metaphor for the franchise itself. With The Ancient Gods DLCs having the Slayer put back into the sarcophagus (and dealing with the Dark Lord, the overarching antagonist of the newer Doom titles), I perceive it as id Software putting Doom back to rest, for now. They could have spin-offs like Mighty Doom, but I don't think they'd go as far as to change the protagonist since the Doom Slayer has been quite successful.

With that said, I think a new Quake reboot would not only be rewarding for long-time Quake fans, but also give id Software an opportunity to work on something other than Doom since the past 15 years or so. Doom Eternal had already dialed the push-forward combat design of Doom 2016 up to 11, and it's difficult to see how they can push things further past Eternal's already hyper-active and complex resource-management of a gameplay loop. They could dial it back, but I don't know if that makes sense for them to do right now.

A new Quake reboot would give them an opportunity to be flexible with the game design since they can afford to make changes without worrying about disappointing fans who preferred Eternal's combat loop. Not only that, but they can explore new design spaces in trying to resurrect Quake. If anything, I could envision something between the purity of Doom 2016 and combat management of Doom Eternal for a Quake reboot - a simpler heavier approach but still involving active gameplay choices, since I think if Hugo Martin is still game director, he would go for that at some level.

A Quake reboot based on Quake 1 would also make a lot of sense, since that's the only Quake without any real dedicated follow-up. They also released the Quake 1 remaster a short while ago, which could be an appetizer similar to how Doom 3 BFG was an appetizer before Doom 2016. The real consideration is whether making a Quake reboot makes "sense" from a financial point of view compared to just making another Doom game, since Quake has certainly struggled in its last few entries. And despite Doom Eternal coming to an end, they've still been cross-promoting the brand with Doom Slayer appearing in Fortnite or developing the Mighty Doom spin-off. There was that job posting for id Software from a while back about working on an established FPS brand with "sci-fi" and "fantasy" elements, which could either mean Doom or Quake.

I think a new Quake game would be great, but I wouldn't complain about more Doom - as I'm more into Doom than Quake anyways. I just think Quake deserves a modern re-imagining and there are a few signs that would have it make sense, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out their next game is indeed another Doom sequel.

I don't think it's likely at all, but these recent sci-fi horror titles and remakes have me low-key wishing for a Doom 3 remake as well. With their modern tech and gameplay design sensibilities (relative to their mid-2000 era), I think another go at Doom 3 as a proper action-horror would be incredible and an opportunity to do the original concept justice.

Something i remember is someone saying they wouldn't care for a "MetaQuake" because it'd mean acknowledging Quake games with a setting that isn't the first game's.

So i wonder if a new Quake could include gameplay elements from Q2 and so on but under the Q1 setting just because.

28 minutes ago, SPEEDSTAR "SPEEDY" said:

idk. a new game?

What did you originally say to me that you evidently edited out, as I got a notification for you quoting me in this post?

Speaking of ideas for a potential new game, i kinda had 2:

First is like an inverse to "you need X weapon to kill Y demon" and also based off how the Screechers cannot be killed in certain cases.

Imagine if some weapons could not be used against certain enemies.

Like the Flame Belch being able to "buff" the Fire Baron or if there was an energy/robotic demon that could be powered by Plasma projectiles.

(And imagine if the Holy Water Pistol could return and it being able to buff Maykrs)

And i've once written something about blue energy shields being part of level design and the player being able to destroy them with Plasma, but could also use the walls for cover or even as platforms.

Imagine if the Plasma Rifle could be used as a "tool" to power up some UAC machinery like traps/hazards or lifts/elevators and others.

You see a deactivated laser hazard and shoot Plasma to some thing, so the lasers are active and can hurt enemies (and you too) or you see a lift not working and power it up with Plasma.

And if players are worried about ammo waste, maybe do it like Wolfenstein TNO where there's rechargeable energy centers of the Plasma Rifle.

This second idea even suits some lore like the Crucible itself being a source of argent energy or the BFG being used to fuel its 10K counterpart.

But also reminiscent of that one Lost Mission segment where you used the Grabber to pick up an energy orb and put it in a thing to activate something.

edit: ALSO, it could force the players to use the Microwave beam more often i guess