Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

The Doom Master Wadazine #12 - Feat. Insane_Gazebo, Skillsaw, Heartland & Lullaby articles, Then and Now of Doom 64, Console Doom Chronicles 2 and WAD Recommendations!

4 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I come here from finishing Map 22 of Doom 64 to find this! Woo-hoo!

All Doom fans are welcome in the DMW! Hopefully you find some interesting details of Doom 64's past in the magazine. :D

There's a few things that I noticed looking at the review scores for Doom 64 back in the day that I didn't include. I did include some of the rougher takes in there, but on the other end I noticed a little pattern. That is if you are a publisher/developer and the more exclusive stuff you gave a magazine, the more you would win them over. GameSpot, being early "edgy" internet back then, got basically nothing and hosed the game. But on the other end I can point out two instances:

1) Die Hard Gamefan (aka just Gamefan): Only a couple magazines got an interview with the Midway development team and this magazine was one of them. All of their three reviewers ended up rating the game in the 90 percentile range. I don't think their reviews were bought as they did mention the lack of multiplayer and other things critics mentioned. So I believe they just loved classic FPS there, and the interview getting to know the motives of Midway, boosted the game.

2) GamePro: This magazine perhaps got the most early graphics, screens, and hi-resolution images of Doom 64. Most of the high-resolution renders of Doom 64 enemies we have now come from GamePro. No other magazine published this much stuff for Doom 64, so it seems Midway was keen on sending them things. They ended up scoring Doom 64 at 100% in all of their categories. Yes 100%. If there was one person out there who could believe Doom 64 was a 100% its likely me. But I understand Doom 64 has some imperfections, but I also think those imperfections add interesting quirks and character. I guess you could say I prefer games that score below 100% than which try to reach there. Now did Midway's higher ups actually bribe GamePro to give the game a perfect score? No clue! But I think giving magazines exclusive updates and screen shots does go a long way, and perhaps a mutual understanding was happening.

All of these reviews, previews and more I collected here in this archive, which was used to help write the article: 

I have to thank the graphics designers @Nikoxenos and @4MaTC for putting in so much hard work! There's a lot they do behind the scenes that doesn't end up being shown in the final product, and I really appreciate it.

9 hours ago, Final Verdict said:

Thanks Gez, I appreciate it.

I really didn't want to get into it again on account of how long it takes to explain it all. Especially on a Wadazine thread, once was enough.

@Roebloz, I chose not to respond because I didn't want to make a big deal of it. But just so I don't come across like an ignorant prick: I appreciate the concern. Thanks.

Ah its fine. I was just wondering.

On 6/12/2021 at 11:37 PM, Gez said:

Doomshack only goes up to Wadazine 10, Chris Hansen's page goes to 11, but only Ryath's contains all twelve issues.

Whoops, fixed (also I appreciate the Spinal Tap reference)

Somehow this release slipped right past me! Gonna be reading this one later today.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Whoops, fixed (also I appreciate the Spinal Tap reference)

Somehow this release slipped right past me! Gonna be reading this one later today.

</3

7 minutes ago, joepallai said:

Another fine issue, keep up the good work.

<3

On 6/12/2021 at 3:37 PM, Gez said:

Doomshack only goes up to Wadazine 10, Chris Hansen's page goes to 11, but only Ryath's contains all twelve issues.

Endless doesn't send the issue to me. I download it like everyone else and then post it on my homepage. Sometimes I don't see Endless' update because of time differences, work etc. I strive to post the latest edition on my homepage as fast I possibly can when I see a new release.

22 minutes ago, Chris Hansen said:

Endless doesn't send the issue to me. I download it like everyone else and then post it on my homepage. Sometimes I don't see Endless' update because of time differences, work etc. I strive to post the latest edition on my homepage as fast I possibly can when I see a new release.

I will do my best to contact you early next time. I've been slacking a bit lately, but working on getting everything on track. I believe you don't have Discord, but I usually answer and talk there pretty much instantly, still, I'll send you an DM on DW next time.

Nah, no problem Endless. People will just have to wait. It's not like they can't download it from here :)

I say it here almost every time. Thank you guys for these mags, they are brilliant. Well done to all.

Nice to have time to get on Doomworld again , been a mad couple of month moving house, job, life........ Nice to find a new issue of Wadzine as soon as I log in.