Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MasterLevelsArentThatBad:)

Are Wads On /Idgames Archive Checked For Viruses

yeah, ofc they are. each wad that gets submitted to the archive goes through a verification process

to my knowledge i dont think its possible to get a virus from wads since they cant write anything on the pc instead they just load assets but im not sure about this

42 minutes ago, MasterLevelsArentThatBad:) said:

like are wads on https://www.doomworld.com/idgames checked for viruses?

Of course, everything that is uploaded to idgames is curated content, administrators check every uploaded file of not being harmful to any user before accepting it.

if you ask this because your antivirus warns you about the download, just bypass it. Accept the download if it let you, or deactivate the antivirus for a short time before downloading from /idgames.

The site is pretty old, and everything that is old is not on the radar of modern Antiviruses, so they will spite a warning whenever you try to download something.

11 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

to my knowledge i dont think its possible to get a virus from wads since they cant write anything on the pc instead they just load assets but im not sure about this

actually, due to the new ace exploit, wads can contain malware that can be executed and pose a threat. however, that really only works on the vanilla doom2.exe and not on any source port, so it's not much of a threat lol

but normally, wads can't contain any form of malware, no. they're just data files

25 minutes ago, roadworx said:

actually, due to the new ace exploit, wads can contain malware that can be executed and pose a threat. however, that really only works on the vanilla doom2.exe and not on any source port, so it's not much of a threat lol

but normally, wads can't contain any form of malware, no. they're just data files

yeah, also i didnt have seen any serious wad that uses the ace exploit, just the test ones... so you really dont have to care about viruses in the moment of downloading a WAD.

1 hour ago, roadworx said:

thats very interesting i wonder how exactely does the exploit work? does it have something to do with save files or does the malware kick in during the loading process?

2 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Of course, everything that is uploaded to idgames is curated content, administrators check every uploaded file of not being harmful to any user before accepting it.

if you ask this because your antivirus warns you about the download, just bypass it. Accept the download if it let you, or deactivate the antivirus for a short time before downloading from /idgames.

The site is pretty old, and everything that is old is not on the radar of modern Antiviruses, so they will spite a warning whenever you try to download something.

no i don't even use any antivirus anyways thx everyone for the answer i just wanted to know because im scared of viruses

What is a virus, how can it harm my system? Can a WAD harm my system? Can a WAD contain a virus? Is is executable?
BTW: To think before posting does not harm anybody.

34 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

What is a virus, how can it harm my system? Can a WAD harm my system? Can a WAD contain a virus? Is is executable?
BTW: To think before posting does not harm anybody.

wat

Definitely, all the files on IDGames are safe. Otherwise, we would have a lot of notifications at somewhere in our PCs.

3 hours ago, MasterLevelsArentThatBad:) said:

no i don't even use any antivirus anyways thx everyone for the answer i just wanted to know because im scared of viruses

If you are scared of viruses, then it makes zero sense not to use a antivirus.

2 hours ago, roadworx said:

wat

DoomGater is tired of the randomness-ness of these questions in general, which often have a answer that could either be found by using the search, or common sense.

19 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

If you are scared of viruses, then it makes zero sense not to use a antivirus.

DoomGater is tired of the randomness-ness of these questions in general, which often have a answer that could either be found by using the search, or common sense.

like you are right but im too lazy to install an antivirus

On 6/28/2021 at 8:44 AM, MasterLevelsArentThatBad:) said:

like you are right but im too lazy to install an antivirus

Are you on windows 8 or 10?

Edited by Murdoch