Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

Is Contract Revoked that stealth-based mod that was one of the precursors to Arcane Dimensions, or am I thinking of something else?

No, I think that mod was called In The Shadows.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/its

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/its_demo_v1_1.html

Contract Revoked was released in 2002 and contains four levels. The original version of the mod can be downloaded at Quaddicted and its original website:

https://www.quaddicted.com/webarchive/kell.quaddicted.com/

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/contract.html

It's fine. :)

While I'm here, I want to ask if we will ever see the expansion/sequel to Contract Revoked called The Lost Chapters added at one point in the future, though it appears to use content from Quoth. Which makes me wonder if Quoth will have a chance to get added as an official addon in the future or not. I know that stuff like Arcane Dimensions can't be added unfortunately but maybe Quoth will have a better chance? Either way I'm happy with whatever becomes an official addon, there's lots of great Quake content out there.

Also in case I haven't said before, I love the Quake 1 & 2 remasters! Excellent work to everyone involved.

It has been about two years since Quake 1 got its remaster. Is there any chance of getting the Saturn levels or at least an official recreation of them as an addon? Since I have never played Quake on Saturn or any Saturn game for that matter, I only found out about the Saturn-exclusive levels a few days ago. While I do not like Quake as much as Quake II, I agree with the other people on this thread that it would be a nice addition.

As far as I know there is only a recreation for PC, there was never a port, as the engine is different.

https://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=62026

I don't think that some will do the work to recreat it for the remaster. Also, shouldn't also Lobotomy Software have some credits on these maps? So first their agreement must be collected before such recreation will be done for the remaster.

On 9/21/2023 at 9:28 AM, Kyle07 said:

I don't think that some will do the work to recreat it for the remaster. Also, shouldn't also Lobotomy Software have some credits on these maps? So first their agreement must be collected before such recreation will be done for the remaster.

Credit sure, but permission, no. Lobotomy doesn't exist since 1999. In addition, most if not all of id Software's contractual agreements for production of console versions of their games assigned ALL IP rights back to id Software. This is why we were able to do the Doom 64 remaster, and include Quake 64 with the Quake 1 remaster. Otherwise there'd have likely been all kinds of annoying obstacles that would have killed those efforts before they started.

Some fairly obvious bugs in QDOOM that I have experienced:

- Super Shotgun doesn't gib Quake zombies, where as all other weapons do

- Spectres are completely invisible (at least on Switch and XSX)

- Some enemies/items can be seen through other objects

So this happened:

Anybody familiar with the Slave Zero IP? I admit, this is the very first time I hear about it. Apparently, it started off with a 1999 third-person shooter and now it is getting a sequel in the form of a 2.5D brawler... and also a Quake total conversion spin-off.

Edited by Rudolph

Is there a way to stop the annoying achievement thing pop up every time i restart the game? Or a way to disable them completely?

For some reason they reset when i close the game. So the next time i play they pop up again (and they are obnoxious). I even enabled cheats + god mode and they still popup.

Edit: Seems like you need to be offline for the achievements to stop reseting. Or block the exe from going online. I'm playing the game withoug GoG Galaxy.

Edited by TasAcri

Can't Be disabled, sorry. I'm unsure why your achievements are resetting but it wasn't observed behavior during development. I could suggest try connecting it online and signing into bnet to see if that clears it up, incase the issue is the achievements reset on an entirely uninitialized environment.

Edited by Edward850

If you don't plan through gog galaxy, shouldn't it have no achievements then? Thought this is only available through gog galaxy?

Because of technical limitations with GOG at the time, the Galaxy API was not used as online multiplayer wouldn't have worked with it. As such, it's using the same achievements system we had on Switch.

I'm playing Quake Remaster on XSX with an LG C3 and unlike Quake 2 or any other game, the picture is unpleasantly blurry when in motion. The game looks fine if the camera is still, even when there's enemy movement. I figure there's no solution for this?

Here's some more info about my setup:

TV is set to game mode without any motion interpolation or any post processing effects. The TV is pretty new and doesn't show any excessive blurring on any other application.

XSX is @ 4K 120Hz w/ VRR (turning VRR off didn't help)

Quake graphics settings have motion blur and depth of field disabled. Tinkering with any other in-game display settings hasn't resolved the issue.

Not expecting a solution but I was wondering more if anybody else has experienced the same issue?

Posted (edited)

I think I know what you mean. I think I observed this in multiplayer on the switch as well. But I'm not sure if it's possible to screenshot this "effect"? Never tried that.

But then, when I played it last time, I did not observe this blurry movement. Strange. I observed it very well on DM8, using the air lift....

Anyone know the best settings to reduce stutter on Switch?

Posted (edited)

I play all the time with the original models and all the enhancements turned off. But only, because I wanted the vanilla experience, not any performance boost.

I think I know what you mean, the game has 60 fps, but can stutter from time to time, occasionally. But I am playing mostly online with a high ping, so could be that the stutters came from bad connection.

If you ask me playing Quake on the Switch is VERY enjoyable. I have played it on the Switch for over 90 hours.

I did play the original campaigns on PC, but I lurked into Dimension of the Machine on the Switch. Saw there, that there as a very aggressive resolution reduction in the hub area. So I don't know if rather that system starts to work before the game begins to stutter.

I wanted to turn on the enhancements for a long time, but I always forget and enjoy the original models anyway.

Thanks for the information and yeah I agree. It runs amazing on Switch mostly.

i think it’s just poorly optimised regarding the occasional stutter in levels as it doesn’t seem to be fps dropping as the dynamic resolution stays at max and you can remove it by loading the game/going into the switch OS.

Hopefully they patch it, I played along with the settings but they don’t really help and it still happens, so I’ll just play with the default settings as I like the new models and fog ect.

2 hours ago, Kadu2 said:

i think it’s just poorly optimised regarding the occasional stutter in levels as it doesn’t seem to be fps dropping as the dynamic resolution stays at max and you can remove it by loading the game/going into the switch OS.

To give you a point very bluntly, complaining about 'poor optimization' on things actually just makes us less interested in investigating problems. You can't "just optimize it", things are vastly too complicated and nuanced to allow for such a broad concept. Also if dropping back to the OS removes it as you claim, then that makes things about infinitely more complicated as that means it's OS resource problem.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Edward850 said:

To give you a point very bluntly, complaining about 'poor optimization' on things actually just makes us less interested in investigating problems. You can't "just optimize it", things are vastly too complicated and nuanced to allow for such a broad concept. Also if dropping back to the OS removes it as you claim, then that makes things about infinitely more complicated as that means it's OS resource problem.

Thanks for the response.

I didn’t mean to offend, I appreciate Nightdive and all the work they do.

In saying that, the game does seem to have some optimisation problems on Switch.

Also going back to the OS screen does not automatically imply a OS issue.
Saving the game fixes the stutter or disabling and re-enabling graphical settings also fixes the issue. 

Quake 2 for example is better optimised for the Switch. It is what it is.

If my personal opinion makes you less likely to look into the issue, I think it’s being petty. The game has stutter on Switch and I interpret that as optimisation issues (especially as Nightdive continue to improve their Switch ports with each new release; implying they are getting better at optimising games for the platform).

I do appreciate your work though and happily play the Switch version so I can enjoy it portable. 

I hope you will look into the issue.

The problem can come about from playing through most levels, I would recommend “Dimension of the machine” starting from the first proper level. 
Just play through it and eventually you should hit some stutter.

Now you can remove the stutter by;

Saving the game.

Disabling and re-enabling any graphical settings.

Going to the OS screen for a few seconds.

It will come back if you continue playing, it generally happens once you have killed quite a few enemies in the levels.

Edited by Kadu2

@Edward850 I was playing the Playstation 5 version with a friend a couple weeks ago.  I only have one controller but I knew keyboard and mouse was supported, and while it took an absurd amount of effort to get the the controller and keyboard on different accounts (obviously not a use case Sony thought about) I did manage to get it working.  Except that when the keyboard and mouse are associated with an account with no controller it seems that the mouse doesn't function (had to play keyboard only).  Would be curious if you would happen to know if this is a limitation of the Playstation platform or just an interesting edge case bug in the Playstation version of Quake?  I also had to make sure the keyboard was player 1 otherwise it seems there was no way for the keyboard player to join.

Posted (edited)

That's a curious configuration I didn't even know was physically possible. Our keyboard and mouse code for Playstation is exclusively designed for singleplayer, it assumes splitscreen is only ever played with gamepads, and as far as I can tell from the SDK, there's no true player assignment for the keyboard and mouse like with other platforms (there's no obvious UI option on devkits to reassign keyboards to other players, at the very least).

Basically mixed keyboard and controller for splitscreen is something we've only ever designed and tested on PC, as there's an input option to delegate assignments of controllers to the second player onwards.

Posted (edited)

Well if you want to accomplish it, you need either a new keyboard or convince the Playstation OS to give up the keyboard user assignment.  I don't know how to reliably trigger the latter but some incantation of unplugging, plugging in another keyboard (in my case an Flirc dongle), and leaving unplugged for a few minutes should eventually do the trick.  Now when you plug in the keyboard the Playstation should ask you who is using the keyboard.  Assign it to a new guest account.

Now pair the controller (so it also asks you who the controller belongs to) and assign it to a second guest account.  Press pause key to get the primary user switched over to the keyboard.  Move the keyboard to your actual user account.

Ultimately if you ever assign the keyboard to an account with a controller assigned to it (either by the initial dialog or using the option to move devices to another account in the overlay (the one accessed by the Playstation button or the pause key on the keyboard)) moving the keyboard to a new account by itself is really hard,

The only major gripe I have with this port is how the thumbstick deadzone slider apparently works. When you lower the deadzone to allow for precision aiming and strafe jumping - you somehow lose precision as the moment you pass the reduced deadzone, your camera control is immediately ramped up. So paradoxically, you're better off with the default large, clunky deadzone. Most console FPS give extra control and precision when a deadzone reduction slider is offered. Ideally, you're looking for as much control as possible before your controller's drift manifests in-game.

I use a lower sensitivity, yet I still find this to be a problem. It'll be much more amplified for those who prefer a higher sensitivity.

I think the average user circumvents this issue I experience, by using the default, very low thumbstick sensitivity, combined with the very strong aim assist. These only mask the problem, however.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

Most console FPS

I feel like people who keep mentioning this forget the fact that this is a DOS game forcibly adapted to be played on modern consoles with modern controllers, not the other way around. The games that tend to have this degree of control usually are games developed with consoles in mind first and foremost, so they obviously need to get that part right. As a result, however, those games tend to end up having strange and wonky mouselook when ported to PC.

There's specific cases where a game is developed at the same time for both PC and consoles, in which cases it controls fine on the target platform, but Quake is not really that. I could probably me misremembering, but I think I remember the devs already mentioned this is the same old PC Quake code base, which was never even conceived to be played with modern control schemes, so that part has been kinda hacked in.

19 hours ago, hfc2x said:

I feel like people who keep mentioning this forget the fact that this is a DOS game forcibly adapted to be played on modern consoles with modern controllers, not the other way around. The games that tend to have this degree of control usually are games developed with consoles in mind first and foremost, so they obviously need to get that part right. As a result, however, those games tend to end up having strange and wonky mouselook when ported to PC.

There's specific cases where a game is developed at the same time for both PC and consoles, in which cases it controls fine on the target platform, but Quake is not really that. I could probably me misremembering, but I think I remember the devs already mentioned this is the same old PC Quake code base, which was never even conceived to be played with modern control schemes, so that part has been kinda hacked in.

That's a good point and thanks for mentioning it! There's been plenty of times where I have read about forced mouse acceleration and many other issues when dealing with PC ports, so I can definitely attest to what you're saying.

I'm an ex-PC player (due to a chronic hand injury) so I am wholly grateful to see 90's or even 90's style FPS get controller support these days and come to consoles to begin with. However, I don't see how a thumbstick deadzone reduction slider should take away precision rather enhance it, as it would in any other FPS.

Fortunately, Quake works pretty well with a controller (outside of a crossplay multiplayer setting) due to the fact that it's enemy and projectile hitboxes are of course very forgiving. It's a surpringly comfortable fit.

I'd like to mention the opposite side of the coin: when PC-centric projects are ported to console with poor controller support, devs and fans alike can very quick to brush any controller criticisms as mere "limitations of a gamepad", which is exactly the kind of thing you'd expect from people who've never had any reason to play FPS with controllers. Of course, they're inherently limited but to settle for suboptimal control as a result is just tragic and does these amazing games a disservice. I think the launch of Quake Remastered is a prime example of this. Fortunately, the patch was a huge improvement, remaining deadzone issue aside.

I just hope that if there is ever a similar port for Quake 3, with crossplay and all (as unlikely as that feels), that this area will see improvement, because ham fisted aim assist isn't gonna help much in a game like that. Players will need to be able to make micro-adjustments whilst aiming with their thumbs. Then again, what do I know? I'm just another ignorant user venting a little.

7 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

I just hope that if there is ever a similar port for Quake 3, with crossplay and all (as unlikely as that feels), that this area will see improvement, because ham fisted aim assist isn't gonna help much in a game like that. Players will need to be able to make micro-adjustments whilst aiming with their thumbs. Then again, what do I know? I'm just another ignorant user venting a little.

The gyroscopic motion aiming on the PS and Switch controllers are the closest one will get to using a mouse on console. Nightdive have always added this option to their ports. I always recommend people try it for a bit before they knock it, as these controls have always been bashed and avoided by "the hardcore crowd" as if they were cooties or something. 

45 minutes ago, Agent Slacker said:

The gyroscopic motion aiming on the PS and Switch controllers are the closest one will get to using a mouse on console.

Using a mouse is the closest thing to using a mouse on console.

12 hours ago, Agent Slacker said:

The gyroscopic motion aiming on the PS and Switch controllers are the closest one will get to using a mouse on console. Nightdive have always added this option to their ports. I always recommend people try it for a bit before they knock it, as these controls have always been bashed and avoided by "the hardcore crowd" as if they were cooties or something. 

I appreciate the perspective but personally, I only switched to controllers for gaming due to an injury, otherwise I'd still be on keyboard and mouse. Even if gyro was a viable option in my case, I would still prefer thumbsticks. Gyro reminds me of using a mouse at an inappropriately high mouse sensitivity, where you're needlessly trading in precision. I know some people get over this hurdle by also using the thumbsticks in conjunction with a little gyro. I don't know, more power to them.

I have seen players play relatively well on Quake Live with gyro, so I can't knock it too much.