Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vortale

Just A Mapset: Episode 1 - A Boom mapset, now on /idgames!

This mapset appears heavily influenced by Valiant and Eviternity, since it uses a lot of assets from both of them, while also adding a lot of new enemies and weapon behavior that seem similar to ones used in Struggle. In my opinion, this mix would not stand on its own, but your maps rival the best ones I played, and they use the new enemies and weapons so well, that this wad just became my favorite one from current year. I will definitely record a longplay of this one and post it here, just like I did with Suckerpunch 2, which used to be ma favorite up to this point. Just please reconsider your music choices, especially for the first two maps. Give this wad a go, guys! You're missing out on that one!

Played this and had a ton of fun!  I liked the weapon/monster changes that made the gameplay more fast paced.  Congrats on the release!

Spoiler

I'm looking forward to the follow-up after playing that.  Also those "special" secret areas in each map were very cool.

Also, there were some blue bars in map04 that I opened without the key, not sure if that was intended but it seemed suspect.

Edited by Vile

Thanks for the kind words folks! I'm glad people are enjoying it so far!

RC2 has been released, and if all goes well, will be the last RC before the final submission to idgames. I feel pretty much everything has been ironed out, but there might be something that slipped through the cracks!

Changes can be found in the changelog on the first post.

For the file size, I feel quite a chunk of that is OTEX. I've crunched it down a bit more, but I'll need to crunch it down even further before the final.

As for the music, map01's choice is deliberate and I don't really mind map02 personally. If I change any track, it might be map08, if I can find something I consider suitable.

Wow, great mapset, I really like it. I think the choice of music is perfect. Everyone should try this, very high quality, especially for the first public release.

just finished playing rc2, had a good time! 

only found one issue, map 9 had a hom around here 

Spoiler

doom02.png.d7c997cc51fbd0896764ac70c6dd678f.png

Despite RC2 fixing all issues from RC1, it somehow grew bigger blemishes than the previous iteration.

But now everything should be complete and the final version has been posted! Currently in the process of getting it up on /idgames, which will replace the current link above when that occurs. At this point, if any new issues are found - providing they aren't completely game breaking - they'll be left in until the full set is finished in a year or two (hopefully).

File size was also greatly reduced, that's on me for not cleaning up the pile of OTEX sitting inside.

Thank you to everyone who has played it so far and had a good time, and for finding bugs here and there that escaped under my radar! Also, if you found any skips, don't worry, they've been kept in!

Finally, do not worry about the numbers right now. Please carry on! :^)

I like how the map name is almost a nod to J.A.M. Productions, the creators of Blake Stone.

So I've decided to create a version of J.A.M. that will work with your weapon/monster mods! Similar to Valiant's vaccination, it removes all the dehacked elements, but I've also removed the super cool super secrets. If you want those, you'll need to load up the original.

You can download it here!

It's been tested with a variety of things, including Brutal Doom, Guncaster, Roguelike Arsenal, Supercharged, Corruption Cards, Final Doomer+, and a little bit of Hideous Destructor. But I can't test literally everything. If people find issues with any mods they're running, lemme know and I will update the link. I'll likely not put this up on /idgames as it might get updated frequently, plus it isn't the main project. (Please note: Some mods that produce random elements such as Corruption Cards might cause issues that I can't do much about). I also need to give multiplayer a proper whirl with it, and perhaps do rebalancing.

Finally, speedrunners (okay it's literally just @Master Medi right now) have ran into a couple of minor bugs, and knowing speedrunners, will run into more. I'll list them in the known issues page, and they will be dealt with by the time episode 2 & 3 are done. It's a tad annoying that I missed anything given the nature of this mapset and it's secrets, but they thankfully don't totally break the maps too much (though you might get a little stuck).

This'll be the last time I update this thread about the wad. I figure I should put my head down and get to finishing Just A Megawad before 2022 is done!

Spoiler

Thank you for the mention in the cacowards! It's still wild to see my name on there given how stacked 2021 was!

This mapset kicks fucking ass. The increased weapon swap speed, the faster monsters, great map flow, I loved playing through this set. This map feels like quintessential Boom with strong skillsaw vibes as mentioned previously in the thread. I do love the sprites, they all suit the gameplay and OTEX perfectly. I'm very keen to see what the next episode is like.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I appreciate the variety in the maps. It's not just visual variety but also gameplay and set pieces, each map feels decidedly different to the one before it and the one after it. I'm replaying JAM and I'm loving it even more than the first time.

Edit 2: @Vortale since the hud isn't widescreen compat I made a copy of flat 'O8DMDA13' and renamed it 'GRNROCK' and it looks better IMO

Spoiler

Original

0ZmR040.png

Updated

hgiiPF8.png

Ideally, a widescreen hud would be used but I think this a fair in-between.

Edited by xvertigox