Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redxone

Descent Doom (Descent 2 in GZDoom)

I decided to try playing through E1M3 in the Descent spaceship and take advantage of the six degrees of freedom, but amusingly I still didn't make the par time...

2 hours ago, Master O said:

For very new mods like this, it would probably be a good idea to use the latest version of GZdoom available.

Thx... I'm on 4.5.0.

coool! Very nicely done.

This begs to get flying 3d starfighter enemies and descent like 3d GZDoom levels.

Could also work nicely as a base for a 40k conversion... the aircraft could be an imperial guard valkyrie or an ork fighta bomma and the enemies could be scale accurate 3d foot troops and other 3d 40k flying stuff... an ideer for a third party expansion is forming

a starwars third party expansion could also work, the aircraft could be for example the millennium falcon and the enemies could be foot troops and flying enemies

man, this could spawn a whole subgenre of mods... descent doom modding! :-D

Edited by CBM

Just now stumbling upon this and holy shit, this looks cool. I can imagine some dedicated custom map(set)s being made for this down the line.

In fact, I may or may not make one myself...

On 10/26/2021 at 9:20 PM, princetontiger said:

.. and it works on the latest GZDoom! Thx

That's the rule of thumb for very new mods, checking what the minimum version of GZDoom is that the mod will accept.

here is a video of me playing descent doom, I am working on a 40k proof of concept mod just for my own pleasure

and in this video I play my antivirus map with more enemies plus showcasing a very early version of this 40k proof of concept mod I am making for redxone's amazing descent doom (yay, first descent doom mod) :-)

all the enemies use vanilla doom 2 monster stats and are only different in relation to radius, looks and height

full credits will be placed in a text file inside the final mod if it is ever released to the public as the final mod will be using many 3d models by various artists as well as of course require the amazing descent doom as the base

also I want to add 40k ships to replace the flying monsters in doom, I have a nice collection of 40k flying units like valkyrie, landspeeder, helltalon etc etc

I think other themes could be possible for descent doom as well such as starwars, startrek, battlestar galactica etc etc...

also ... I hope some talented mappers will be making interesting descent doom maps

@redxone

would it be ok to release a mod like this that requires descent doom ....

as well as maybe making more mods like it down the line?

Edited by CBM

DoomEdNums are implemented. ( https://github.com/Lewisk3/GZDoom_Descent/commit/8389c8b5765f8e65a4cbef9c21e7090ef1983a3c )

Spoiler

image.png.28c04fd31ded65056a520a2d7514f75d.png

You can now place items properly in maps.

@redxone

would it be ok to release a mod like this that requires descent doom ....

as well as maybe making more mods like it down the line?

Yeah for sure, I'd advise against including it directly in your project though, please leave a link to it.

7 hours ago, Redxone said:

Yeah for sure, I'd advise against including it directly in your project though, please leave a link to it.

Cool... and Yeah of course :-)

I will make my own thread for it and then link to this thread and make it clear that it will require your mod to function as it is basically an extension to your mod with a specific theme and enemies that are 3d models.

I came to know Descent Doom when I recorded myself playing a Doom mod combo proposed by a friend. I still need to explore it further, but I can say everything is so consistently very well done.

I'm already thinking about other combinations to test, play and record:

This looks incredible - shame I've never been able to wrap my head around Descent. I should really try again one of these days.

This... Is a very interesting mod!
I just saw this mod when someone shown off their video in a Discord server, and it intrigued me quite a bit.
I find this one to be quite a fun mod, despite some things I am probably having to figure out but I might as well say.

One thing I can tell is that Proxy bombs must have a short range and it is kind of not so strong but I do not use them a whole bunch.
This one might be some bind, but is their some bind that just ends up having you barrel roll round and round endlessly? Because when I check the map only to get out, I end up spinning and spinning and not too sure how to stop it. (Actually nevermind, it happens because the turn bind is also the same bind my follow mode on my map. Not sure if you might be able to do something on that one though.)
Another thing I noticed is that backpack replacement items usually do not do anything after once by giving you ammo which still can be kinda helpful though.
Although for this last one I probably want to mention that when I use say, a gun weapon... It seems to not trigger any hitscan-esk trigger lines, and even ones without any decoration in the way so I most likely have to use mdk in the console. Not sure if you might be able to do something about that though but that is all I have to say about the little issues of sorts I seen around in the mod, but I quite like where this has been going. :)

Edited by Starman the Blaziken

Hello! It's been quite a while, I've been busy with a lot of IRL stuff as well as College, but I'm currently on break. 

I thought I'd start work on adding Enemies to Descent Doom. Currently what's left to do is just the Boss type enemies.

That project can be found here - https://github.com/Lewisk3/DescentDoom_Robots 

It does require the latest developer version of Descent Doom, so be sure to pick that up. (Go to the Descent Doom github page and press Code -> Download as ZIP)

Screenshot of the enemies lined up. 

Spoiler

rjA4Rnc.png

I'm also very much interested in any information anyone may have on the specifics of enemy behavior, health values, etc.