Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gibbon

Introducing RZDoom (Retro ZDoom) 3.0.1 - Updated April 17 2022

So the icon has been chosen (with a tiny addition) - now committed to the repo and will be used for the icons for the 2.9.1 release.

Spoiler

rzdoom.png.1d0caf6621dd5352f11ee718d2ea4cf1.png

Thanks Wavy!  I'll be making a Doom Retro esque wiki on Github so everyone will get credit for stuff.

And thanks also to all the submissions, you're all way better artists than me!  This community really is fantastic.

Ok, I'm not sure if it is just me or if anyone else actually loves GRNROCK?  To be honest, everytime I see it I want to pluck my eyes out.

I ask because I did this:

Spoiler

rzdoom_bar.png.3573f4b326eb0e07c04a08046137a93e.png

I used FLOOR7_1 for both DOOM1 and DOOM2.  I feel it is a lot more neutral and less offensive than GRNROCK..  kinda gives it the '3DO look' too.  But I'm not sure if this is considered committing a grievous sin or not.  Yay or nay?

46 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Ok, I'm not sure if it is just me or if anyone else actually loves GRNROCK?  To be honest, everytime I see it I want to pluck my eyes out.

I ask because I did this:

Hide contents

rzdoom_bar.png.3573f4b326eb0e07c04a08046137a93e.png

I used FLOOR7_1 for both DOOM1 and DOOM2.  I feel it is a lot more neutral and less offensive than GRNROCK..  kinda gives it the '3DO look' too.  But I'm not sure if this is considered committing a grievous sin or not.  Yay or nay?

Is it possible to make this optional and configurable in the menu?

Just now, SilentD00mer said:

That's a good idea, I'll see if I can expose a variable there.  But as it's a lump name it would be a choice between GRNROCK and something else.

The best way to make this an option would be to add a string CVAR. If set, it overrides the game default. If not set (empty string) or invalid (texture name not found) then the game default is used.

41 minutes ago, Gez said:

The best way to make this an option would be to add a string CVAR. If set, it overrides the game default. If not set (empty string) or invalid (texture name not found) then the game default is used.

Yes it would be, only problem is that this is defined as part of gameinfo which demands a flat set in wadsrc/mapinfo/doomcommon.txt so exposing a CVAR is not compatible with an FString.  I tried already, it crashes immediately on startup.

The exact code is:

V_DrawBorder:

picnum = TexMan.CheckForTexture (gameinfo.BorderFlat, FTexture::TEX_Flat);

Basically it takes the flat defined in borderflat in doom1.txt and doomcommon.txt.  The function itself only accepts those items.

Edit: So the solution it seems would be to write a CUSTOM_CVAR to override the setting and set the lumpname as an FString.  Probably a bit too much for the 2.9.1 release, but I will add it to my list of stuff.

Edited by Gibbon

2 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Yes. Yes and yes! Personally, GRNROCK looks ugly to me.
I'm noticing these green borders on the edge between the FLOOR7_1 graphic and the player camera, is it possible to change the color of those borders so it looks more fitting? I know that these little border sprites are called "BRDR_[XX]" in both Doom 1 and 2, they also appear in the Vanilla Doom save/load game and settings menu but I think ZDoom doesn't use these sprites.

Yes it would be, only problem is that this is defined as part of gameinfo which demands a flat set in wadsrc/mapinfo/doomcommon.txt so exposing a CVAR is not compatible with an FString.  I tried already, it crashes immediately on startup.

The exact code is:

V_DrawBorder:

Basically it takes the flat defined in borderflat in doom1.txt and doomcommon.txt.  The function itself only accepts those items.

IIRC, CheckForTexture uses a const char* as its parameter. So you use CVAR.GetChars().

picnum = TexMan.CheckForTexture (r_borderflat.GetChars(), FTexture::TEX_Flat);

if (picnum == FTextureID(-1) || picnum == FTextureID(0)) picnum = TexMan.CheckForTexture (gameinfo.BorderFlat, FTexture::TEX_Flat); 

I think that would be enough?

7 minutes ago, Gez said:

IIRC, CheckForTexture uses a const char* as its parameter. So you use CVAR.GetChars().

picnum = TexMan.CheckForTexture (r_borderflat.GetChars(), FTexture::TEX_Flat);

if (picnum == FTextureID(-1) || picnum == FTextureID(0)) picnum = TexMan.CheckForTexture (gameinfo.BorderFlat, FTexture::TEX_Flat); 

I think that would be enough?

Hmm..  that could work.  I totally overlooked that, I'll implement it and check it.

3 hours ago, SilentD00mer said:

i really like this idea, a customizable texture for that, i hate GRNROCK and i cant get my fancy widescreen huds working in rzdoom, so this seems like a fine solution.

edit: actually, i can get widescreen huds working by setting up a new resolution (i chose 426x200), making the game think its 4:3 (even though its 16:9), and then setting "force aspect ratio" to 16:9. just wanted to edit this in case anyone else wanted to try out a widescreen hud. no clue if it works outside of strife though, i've only really been testing out strife.

Well dudes, it is done.

Not quite the same, as it may seem obvious but a CVAR has the type F<type>Cvar.  So FStringCvar, FIntCvar etc..  so it isn't a const char if it is a configurable option.  However, me being me..  I managed to do it by (and I feel really dirty by the way) hardcoding a const char in its place and matching the configurable integer value to what texture is displayed.

In total, I will add 4 configurations (one for Doom, Doom 2 and co, Heretic and Hexen) - I don't own strife and have no idea what flats are used.  This way, there will be 4 user configurable options for each of the 4 games.

If you want, feel free to list down what flats you would love to be able to use.  We can vote on the most popular ones and I'll add in the 4 for each game.  I'm assuming we all have Heretic and Hexen right? :)

Edited by Gibbon

7 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

In total, I will add 4 configurations (one for Doom, Doom 2 and co, Heretic and Hexen) - I don't own strife and have no idea what flats are used.  This way, there will be 4 user configurable options for each of the 4 games.

It's possible to have cvars that are saved per-game -- just like key bindings in Doom are not the same as those in Heretic and so on. If they have the CVAR_ARCHIVE flag but not the CVAR_GLOBALCONFIG, they'll be separate for each game. So no need to add four different CVARs.

Also I'm not sure what's wrong with GetChars()?

8 minutes ago, Gez said:

It's possible to have cvars that are saved per-game -- just like key bindings in Doom are not the same as those in Heretic and so on. If they have the CVAR_ARCHIVE flag but not the CVAR_GLOBALCONFIG, they'll be separate for each game. So no need to add four different CVARs.

Also I'm not sure what's wrong with GetChars()?

Yeah I know :) I've already added those for Extra Gibbing and half weapon bob and no weapon bob configs :P (but I think you're misunderstanding it here).

Ok, the non technical speech.  <cvar name>.GetChars() <-- not a const char.  CVAR (Int, String, Bool) are all F<type>Cvar 'not' a const char *.  So that cannot be used at all.  It is either the const char * that is found in mapinfo and directed to an FString (which is compatible) or a const char * in the form of hardcoded text.

Unless I add a CVAR (Const) value but that'll be a pain in the backside.

Short speech - I'm fine with it, so it is done :)

52 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

I don't own strife and have no idea what flats are used

see if you can get a copy, i wouldnt want strife support to be removed from this port because you cant test it.

7 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Ok, I'm not sure if it is just me or if anyone else actually loves GRNROCK?

It used to absolutely drive me nuts, I hated it so much. But over the years I got used to it. And of course wide status bars are everywhere now!

I definitely am in favor of having the option to change the flat that's used, you would be a hero

Ok, so this is how it looks

Spoiler

1131060558_Screenshot2021-12-11at22_35_59.png.48145f2523c8002c9ca96dd24c4b6c13.png491563325_Screenshot2021-12-11at22_35_35.png.6b44673961fa62c7fb6ec6af3de1e08b.png1577061423_Screenshot2021-12-11at22_35_15.png.4b4fdb7032574cefb71af82ade36dcd3.png

Heretic and Hexen have only 4 choices at the moment.  Once I get Strife I'll make sure they all get 6 each (Doom has 6).  All textures are based on the Shareware versions so there are no missing flats for any version.

Each game is separated in the scripts with its own integer values so they never affect each other and each game saves its own state.

58 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Honestly a good game. I've been playing on Steam a lot lately. I think I'll make a review post after beating it.

Definitely, I quite like it.  Though one villager who stole my 5 gold got turned into extra gibbing :D

I tried the Veteran Edition from Nightdive but it made my Macbook heat up like Chernobyl.  So I used RZDoom and Sprinkled instead :P

Spoiler

strife-hud.jpg.fd7d82ca331e23e7ce28e7abf5dc9996.jpg

So that's all the games supported.  I've pushed it all to the repository.  I'll get those brdr edges done too.

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

Hey Gibb, I tried running the windows version, but I got this error:

zbpMGoD.png

It's missing a sound thingy of sorts?

Depends which platform.  Windows and Mac detect OpenAL but Windows uses System Sound and doesn't use MS Wavetable by default.  So switch to that in the options and it'll be fine.  

42 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Depends which platform.  Windows and Mac detect OpenAL but Windows uses System Sound and doesn't use MS Wavetable by default.  So switch to that in the options and it'll be fine.  

It won't let me access the menu to do so. It just immediately crashes to this screen after booting.

EDIT:

Okay nevermind, I got it to work now. I guess my computer just had a brain-fart. I've got music going, but not sound fx.

Edited by Biodegradable

15 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

It won't let me access the menu to do so. It just immediately crashes to this screen after booting.

EDIT:

Okay nevermind, I got it to work now. I guess my computer just had a brain-fart. I've got music going, but not sound fx.

For SoundFX, Redneckerz mentioned this too.  Delete OpenAL32.dll.  I wasn't sure if it is needed on Windows so I included it, but he said renaming it or deleting it solved that problem.  If that works, I won't include the DLL for further releases.

Its just that I have all development libraries in my Windows path and so I cannot easily test what works with or without something.

4 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Delete OpenAL32.dll.  I wasn't sure if it is needed on Windows so I included it, but he said renaming it or deleting it solved that problem.  If that works, I won't include the DLL for further releases.

Terribly sorry but have no idea how to do that, mate.

14 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Terribly sorry but have no idea how to do that, mate.

I've just thrown up a bundle for Windows (same download).  This one includes OpenAL32.dll (the initial version did not).

18 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Ok, so this is how it looks

Hide contents

1131060558_Screenshot2021-12-11at22_35_59.png.48145f2523c8002c9ca96dd24c4b6c13.png491563325_Screenshot2021-12-11at22_35_35.png.6b44673961fa62c7fb6ec6af3de1e08b.png1577061423_Screenshot2021-12-11at22_35_15.png.4b4fdb7032574cefb71af82ade36dcd3.png

Heretic and Hexen have only 4 choices at the moment.  Once I get Strife I'll make sure they all get 6 each (Doom has 6).  All textures are based on the Shareware versions so there are no missing flats for any version.

Each game is separated in the scripts with its own integer values so they never affect each other and each game saves its own state.

Very cool! These textures look very natural to me! If I'm not mistaken, wads/mods can specify a custom texture for the border too, right?

46 minutes ago, SilentD00mer said:

Very cool! These textures look very natural to me! If I'm not mistaken, wads/mods can specify a custom texture for the border too, right?

Yes they still can via mapinfo lumps etc..  Just set it to 'default' and it'll be overidden by the wad/mod.